Alignment disaster

Indy Lonnie

Make sure you properly vet any alignment shop doing your alignment.

I chose a local shop that answered of my questions in the best way, I thought. I dropped my Goblin off first thing last Friday morning and after work picked it up end of day. $210. They told me the printer was broken on their alignment rack and could not give me a printout. They showed me some pics of the "after". I drove it home and when I climbed out I started looking at the tires and observed the tire wear. The driver front tire was showing 1/3 of the outer tire was not contacting the road. I put my digital degree finder to check the camber -6.5*. The drivers front was -0.3*. Drivers rear +1.2. Passenger rear -1.25. I was pissed. I got out my toe plates and checked the toe. I almost lost it. The front was toed in 5/8", the rear toed in 1-1/8". I went ballistic.
Of course they were closed by that time, so I did the only thing I could do. I got out my 8' level and tore into the alignment myself. The heat index was 110* and I didn't care. I checked the caster and it was surprisingly 9.5*. I think it was set correctly from the assembly video. I adjusted all the four corners of the camber and called it a night. I was soaked trough with sweat.
The next morning I called the shop and talked to the manager. He offered a full refund but was shocked his techs didn't do it correctly. I went to the shop and got my refund, but they were still in denial they their techs didn't do it correctly. I came home and finished out the toe at 1/8" toe in front/rear with the write-up provided on the forum.
Today in 100* - 110* heat index I drove the car about 100 miles. It drove great. No pulling what so ever. It feels good and planted in the corners not. I took a 15 mph round-about- I entered at 30 and exited 3/4 around at 40. I should have done my own alignment in the first place especially since I bought all the tools. I did a quick string alignment when I assembled the Goblin and wanted to get a professional to get it perfectly dialed in for me. So much for the "professionals".

Kudos to Adam and Lonny for showing us how to do it the right way!

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Make sure you properly vet any alignment shop doing your alignment.

I chose a local shop that answered of my questions in the best way, I thought. I dropped my Goblin off first thing last Friday morning and after work picked it up end of day. $210. They told me the printer was broken on their alignment rack and could not give me a printout. They showed me some pics of the "after". I drove it home and when I climbed out I started looking at the tires and observed the tire wear. The driver front tire was showing 1/3 of the outer tire was not contacting the road. I put my digital degree finder to check the camber -6.5*. The drivers front was -0.3*. Drivers rear +1.2. Passenger rear -1.25. I was pissed. I got out my toe plates and checked the toe. I almost lost it. The front was toed in 5/8", the rear toed in 1-1/8". I went ballistic.
Of course they were closed by that time, so I did the only thing I could do. I got out my 8' level and tore into the alignment myself. The heat index was 110* and I didn't care. I checked the caster and it was surprisingly 9.5*. I think it was set correctly from the assembly video. I adjusted all the four corners of the camber and called it a night. I was soaked trough with sweat.
The next morning I called the shop and talked to the manager. He offered a full refund but was shocked his techs didn't do it correctly. I went to the shop and got my refund, but they were still in denial they their techs didn't do it correctly. I came home and finished out the toe at 1/8" toe in front/rear with the write-up provided on the forum.
Today in 100* - 110* heat index I drove the car about 100 miles. It drove great. No pulling what so ever. It feels good and planted in the corners not. I took a 15 mph round-about- I entered at 30 and exited 3/4 around at 40. I should have done my own alignment in the first place especially since I bought all the tools. I did a quick string alignment when I assembled the Goblin and wanted to get a professional to get it perfectly dialed in for me. So much for the "professionals".

Kudos to Adam and Lonny for showing us how to do it the right way!
I did mine by the guide that they posted also. I had some old Alemite alignment tools and my digital angle gauge. On the first drive I was impressed I could easily let go of the wheel at 60mph and it would track straight. It is darty but I believe that is the nature of the goblin

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I thought that the shops with all of the fancy gadgets and lasers, etc. that they could get it spot on. That's all you hear, anytime you work on your car, hell, change the battery - take it in and get it realigned!

We had ours aligned once, but the front camber was off just slightly. Not wanting the garage guy spending the time scratching and dinging everything up, we took it home and adjusted the camber ourselves. Then took it back in to get the final adjustment. Should be dialed in perfectly now, right?! At the spring meet in Arkansas, it didn't take Lonny long to notice the tracking was way off! Eye-balling the rear tires to the front, they were off darn near an inch! He pulled out his plates and right there in the parking lot we did our own alignment. It so much better now. After replacing the lower control arms and dropping the front end a bit, it drives great and inspires the confidence.

I just don't know if I can ever trust another alignment shop. The one that I took it to is not a chain-store or someone's backyard garage, they are well respected. And I worked with the operator myself during the alignment, and HAVE PRINTOUTS! They showed no sign of the tracking being off.

Tim Moland

I did mine by the guide that they posted also. I had some old Alemite alignment tools and my digital angle gauge. On the first drive I was impressed I could easily let go of the wheel at 60mph and it would track straight. It is darty but I believe that is the nature of the goblin
I think the car is "darty" at high speeds due to the lightness of the car. Try unplugging the power steering and take it on the highway again. I like no power steering at high speeds. You feel more connected. I do like power steering at low speeds, especially in parking lots. I was wondering if the power steering could be hooked up to a switch to power it on and off when desired.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I think the car is "darty" at high speeds due to the lightness of the car. Try unplugging the power steering and take it on the highway again. I like no power steering at high speeds. You feel more connected. I do like power steering at low speeds, especially in parking lots. I was wondering if the power steering could be hooked up to a switch to power it on and off when desired.
I was thinking about something similar the other day. Does anyone know if the power steering be "flashed" or "reprogrammed" to be less aggressive? It is electronic after all...