Another Dash Wiring Screwup Thread - Who knew?

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Friends,
My labeling attempts when disassembling my donor did not survive dissaasembly, all of my tape was shredded or gone

My Dash section was especially jacked up and became a jumbled mess in the storage process after unraveling. Mistake learned for when I do my body harness.

Attached are some of my unknowns, could I get some help to identify them?

Secondly, In trying to clean up the wires I'm removing some from their connectors and rerouting them due to the rata nest created by storing the harness after unraveling it. Before I could label the single yellow body harness wore to the white multiplug with all the red wires, I lots it's place. I know it's 3rd down from the top but I can't remember which row it's in.

Lastly in the excitement of cutting wires I mistakenly cut the turn signal stalk instead of the wipers stalk. I got the majority of the wires soldered back together but the flatter connector's Red/White wire's endpoint is a mystery to me.

If push comes to shove I'm going to replace it and start over, but I want to avoid that... A question regarding replacing it is I have a 09 turbo with the RPD. Does the RPD connector exist on non-SS harnesses or did SS RPD car's get an entirely different harness?

Attachments

RouteAbel

I have a '10 turbo that I am about to start dash disassemble. I'll try to get you pictures of those connector locations.

RouteAbel

1. Not sure
2. Trunk Release
3. Steering controls
4. Ignition Switch
5. Not sure but it is near the turn signal
6. Light sensor
7. Not sure
8. Cig lighter

I'm not sure I understand your other question.

Last edited:

askiles

Goblin Guru
I ended up cutting off the gauge cluster connector, all the way back to the main plug, so I just ended up sourcing a new dash harness, and starting again. It was a dumb mistake, but it was much easier to just start fresh. It all worked much better the second time around. LOL

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I ended up cutting off the gauge cluster connector, all the way back to the main plug, so I just ended up sourcing a new dash harness, and starting again. It was a dumb mistake, but it was much easier to just start fresh. It all worked much better the second time around. LOL
I bought a new one too :(

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Yeah, it is what it is... I honestly don't know what happened to the original one... one day its perfect and all loomed up then the next its a knotted mess.

Either way, now I definitely don't have ANY wires tagged so I'll def need some help identifying them, haha. I might wait for the DFKC video to try again. I think wiring is the biggest scare for me being that there are so many differences between the NA/SS models that the original video skip over, coupled with my horrible labeling techniques.

Word to the wise, listen to the folks who've done this before - label everything with good tape... mine rubbed off or tore and I was SOL.

Lethalcast

I was not looking forward to the electrical after seeing all the problems and work involved. Don't mean to throw salt in the wound lol but I was so glad i had Lonny do mine. Worth every penny.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
More power to ya, the way I look at it is the more I get to do in regards to assembling the kit, the more I enjoy it. Making a mistake in the wiring is part of the fun. Having someone else build parts of my Lego set for me only means I don't get to build my Lego set, plus I'd rather spend that $1k on something more important like synchronized swimming lessons.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Try and get a hold of the Chilton online manuals. Many library memberships allow free access. Military has free access thru Military One Source.

The website is slow and confusing at first, but it will give you access to all of the factory wiring and connector diagrams. Print ALL of them out, and study them for a few hours to get oriented with the wiring color and pinout connector descriptions and mark out the wires you wont need.

Get a cheap label maker from Amazon and label the wires you do need according to the diagram. Go pin by pin from the connector using the diagrams. Its painstaking but it will be worth it later on.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Okay so my replacement harness from eBay doesn't look to have the RPD plug, but I think it has the sweeping style boost gauge plug.

Can someone confirm? Also, if this is my case can I use a non-digital style gauge instead? I know the car won't start without the RPD plugged in but if it has a sweeping style instead will it be ok? Should I swap over the wires entirely?

Also, I have a wiring diagram from someone on the forums but they're super hard to follow and are enormous. I'll try to figure it out.

Attachments

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Okay so my replacement harness from eBay doesn't look to have the RPD plug, but I think it has the sweeping style boost gauge plug.

Can someone confirm? Also, if this is my case can I use a non-digital style gauge instead? I know the car won't start without the RPD plugged in but if it has a sweeping style instead will it be ok? Should I swap over the wires entirely?

Also, I have a wiring diagram from someone on the forums but they're super hard to follow and are enormous. I'll try to figure it out.
Your image shows a power steering connector

The reason a cobalt or Goblin will not start without the RPD plugged in is because it brakes the data wire chain. You should be able to use the RPD plug from your old dash harness with your new harness. You just need to make sure the data wire chain goes through it.

The data wire chain goes into and back out of several things like the power steering, BCM and ECM. You just need to have the data wires go in and out of the RPD also.

It may be easier to repair your old harness. If you post some detailed images of you old harness we may be able to help guide your repair.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Okay, thanks Lonny! It looks like the new harness is a no different from my old one, aside from missing RPD. Im going to splice in the old harness to this one because my old harness is a rats nest now.

The part number is 25947707 which is what the GM website says is the dash harness for my 2009 turbo, guess not?

I have about 11-12 unnamed wires on the new harness, Lonny got the power steering pictured #11

Attachments

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The pics you posted are not from a turbo harness. They look to be from a base model automatic. I'm home for the night but I will check my books tomorrow.

#9 looks like the connector for the key lock solenoid on automatics.
20190917_142502.jpg

#10 I think should have more wires. It should have an orange wire for fog lamps, another gray wire for cruise control and a couple of wires for radio controls.
20190917_142516.jpg

I could be wrong though.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
That sucks... the part number I searched said it was fine for a 2009 SS. https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-harness-25947707

Should I bother fitting this for my kit or abandon it for something else?

My #10 turbo harness does have 2 more wires on it than the new harness has. The clutch pedal was also taped up on the loom so It's definitely an automatic harness.

The only thing I've done so far is pull the tape off and zip-tie everything so I can better see the wiring colors. If this is going to be too much trouble to make suitable for a turbo I'm going to try and see if anyone on the forums wants to buy it off me so I can source a proper turbo loom.

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Starting from the first post top left.

1. X210 I/P Harness to HVAC Harness
2. ???
3. Remote Control Door Lock Receiver
4/5. ???
6. Inflatable Restraint Passenger Air Bag On/Off Indicator
8. Theft Deterrent Control Module
9. Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Coil X3
10. Ignition Lock Cylinder Control Solenoid