Any Canadian friends?

Spencer

Hey I am considering getting a goblin but the problem is I live in Canada. If there are any Canadian owners that could shed some light on shipping, registration and insurance that would be great.

Thanks!

Jonathan O'Hara

Hey I am considering getting a goblin but the problem is I live in Canada. If there are any Canadian owners that could shed some light on shipping, registration and insurance that would be great.

Thanks!
Hey Spencer, I think I'm going to be the first (hopefully of many) Canadian goblin owner. I think my kit will be ready for shipping in about 3 weeks.

I'm in Ottawa, so Ogdensburg NY is only an hour drive away. I'm having it shipped to a warehouse there. I'll pick it up there, toss it in the back of my truck (likely by taking it out of the crate), and drive it across the border.

Just last week I got the final customs approval from Transport Canada to import the stage three kit on the basis that it's only parts, not a vehicle that would require all kind of hurdles.

For insurance my broker got me a rough quote of C$1500 per year, and you have to pay the full year, can't do partial.

For registration Ontario seems pretty reasonable with kit cars (please may that not jinx me). No emissions required, but safety will be. Main required items are headlights, tail lights, turn signals, ebrake, side mirrors, fenders, seat belts and horn. Windshield does seem to be required, but some kind of wiper "device" is, so still figuring that out because I'm sure I'll get pulled over regularly just for the look of it.

Obviously I haven't done all this yet, so I could be wrong or missing things. It all looks doable! And Adam has been super helpful and patient with me getting the administrative stuff sorted out.

Where are you in Canada?

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any more information and want to bounce any ideas by me (same goes for any other prospective Canadian Conlin owners)!

Spencer

The insurance is what worries me the most $1500 is a lot and it would probably be a lot more for me since I am only 21. What insurace company do you think you will go with? I live in Kingston by the way.
Thanks for the reply it was very helpful!

Jonathan O'Hara

I'm not sure what company that was from, I just went through my broker and it might be higher for me. You're right about being younger probably won't help the insurance.

Glad to be helpful! You're also close to the border, so getting stuff from the US won't be much of a problem for you.

Once I get my goblin going (hopefully by mid summer, I don't have nearly as much free time as I'd like) I'm happy to show it to you if you like.

above are the pictures of my current street car I know its not a goblin but very similar idea it is powered by a 185 hp vw inline waterloo cooled motor lots of fun 12.21 @ 109mph in the quarter oh please don't tell my insurance company shhh!
this car was built in 1985 and has been on the road every summer since then

the car is titled and insured in the Kitchener waterloo Ontario area
Here is info as I have it the wiper thingie is a load of hog wash if you don't have a windshield you don't need a wiper had to take that one to court and the judge gave the PC hell for laying such a charge if you have a half windshield and you have a clear line of sight over top of it you also are not required to have a wiper that came directly from a MTO inspectors mouth as I have a 12" tall wind deflector lexan window I run a lot of the time

Insurance I probably hold the world record for trying find affordable insurance for this type of vehicle I have spent untold hours at this

you will probably only be able to insure this car in the facility market no current standard insurance will hold coverage on a vehicle like this and that includes Silver wheels and Haggerty and for god sakes do not and I repeat do not utter the word dune buggy for any reason

And as far as 1500 bucks a year you wish never going to happen this car is $285 a month is I put road coverage on it from may to September and then take road coverage off and leave the comp on it the rest of the year while it is stored

No disrespect to you or your insurance broker but that 1500 a year quote I would get something in writing before you commit to building the goblin and oh the goblin kit is very nice in am considering one myself

Other things you will have to do go to a government run license bureau not a franchise run office to generate a vin number for the vehicle when the ask the body style question and 2 or 4 door do not say no doors trust me pick the convertible option
and while you are trying to generate the vin do not let them slide in rebuilt2016 as part of your new vin I have rebuilt198? as part of my vin and that has also cost me some grief

when I built my car in 1985 I went to the MTO and was issued a document that I was to give to the inspecting mechanic as a guide line

on that document it stated fenders or mudguards if the vehicle was being operated under wet road conditions so technically my car is legal without fenders if I run only in dry weather I run small light weight fenders my advice to you is run some kind of fender you will thank me latter

if you have any more questions just ask I will help you if I can

Last edited:
above are the pictures of my current street car I know its not a goblin but very similar idea it is powered by a 185 hp vw inline waterloo cooled motor lots of fun 12.21 @ 109mph in the quarter oh please don't tell my insurance company shhh!

Here is info as I have it the wiper thingie is a load of hog wash if you don't have a windshield you don't need a wiper had to take that one to court and the judge gave the PC hell for laying such a charge if you have a half windshield and you have a clear line of sight over top of it you also are not required to have a wiper that came directly from a MTO inspectors mouth as I have a 12" tall wind deflector lexan window I run a lot of the time

Insurance I probably hold the world record for trying find affordable insurance for this type of vehicle I have spent untold hours at this

you will probably only be able to insure this car in the facility market no current standard insurance will hold coverage an a vehicle like this and that includes Silver wheels and Haggerty and for god sakes do not and I repeat do not utter the word dune buggy for any reason

And as far as 1500 bucks a year you wish never going to happen this car is $285 a month is I put road coverage on it from may to September and then take road coverage off and leave the comp on it the rest of the year while it is stored

No disrespect to you or your insurance broker but that 1500 a year quote I would get something in writing before you commit to building the goblin and oh the goblin kit is very nice in am considering one myself

Other things you will have to go to a government run license bureau not a franchise run office to generate a vin number for the vehicle when the ask the body style question and 2 or 4 door do not say no doors trust me pick the convertible option
and while you are trying to generate the vin do not let them slide in rebuilt2016 as part of your new vin I have rebuilt198? as part of me vin and that has also cost me some grief

when I built my car in 1985 I went to the MTO and was issued a document that I was to give to the inspecting mechanic as a guide line

on that document it stated fenders or mudguards if the vehicle was being operated under wet road conditions so technically my car is legal without fenders I run small light weight fenders my advice to you is run some kind of fender you will thank me latter

that is unless I would get caught in the rain with no fenders

I just drove to Michigan to get my chassis Transport Canada was never involved don't tell customs you are building a road car the less big brother knows the better and stay away from the term homebuilt vehicle that just opens another can of worms

Jonathan why did you even bother calling transport Canada because it is not a complete vehicle they have nothing to say I would go get the bare chassis first and a few weeks later the completer kit or have somebody pickup the completer kit in their name

Last edited:
my final thoughts getting the car building the car getting it titled is the easy part the insurance is going to be hard part and if you are a young person it is going to be even tougher but please keep trying

and if you are lucky enough to find insurance for 1500 bucks a year would you please be so kind and let me know where you got it

Last edited:

Jonathan O'Hara

you will probably only be able to insure this car in the facility market no current standard insurance will hold coverage an a vehicle like this and that includes Silver wheels and Haggerty and for god sakes do not and I repeat do not utter the word dune buggy for any reason

Other things you will have to go to a government run license bureau not a franchise run office to generate a vin number for the vehicle when the ask the body style question and 2 or 4 door do not say no doors trust me pick the convertible option
and while you are trying to generate the vin do not let them slide in rebuilt2016 as part of your new vin I have rebuilt198? as part of me vin and that has also cost me some grief

on that document it stated fenders or mudguards if the vehicle was being operated under wet road conditions so technically my car is legal without fenders I run small light weight fenders my advice to you is run some kind of fender you will thank me latter

Hey Robert, thanks for the great information! So helpful to have someone in Ontario giving me information.

I don't know what kind of tricks my broker has, and they've given me the $1500 quote in writing (on two occasions, the second time expressly confirming the first a couple months later). You're right that it is a facility policy. My goblin is running now (not driving though) so I've really relied on that quote.

For import purposes, I figured it was better to sort it out with Transport Canada ahead of time and delete whatever they needed to consider it parts rather than a whole car (and I was hoping I could convince them the whole kit was not a car, which they accepted). TC was actually nice to deal with and I avoided the risk of an overzealous customs officer wanting to call it a whole car. I take your point on the split shipment being hard to catch but the above-board way worked well.

I may come back to you about licensing/registration because you've successfully done it!!

Again I repeat if you do get the 1500 quote please please let me know my broker is zehr insurance out of New Hamberg Ontario and they cater to classic and speciality car insurance But the insuring company is Nordic Insurance which is facility insurance and make sure they don't slip in some little clauses like not be able to drive it to work
make sure your broker does everything on the up and up buddy of mine had the same type of car as mine and some how managed to get it insured as a 1970 volkwagen beetle he had a claim and the insurance company refused to pay and had him charged with fraud

my car is titled as a kit car

so let see some pictures of the car did you start with an auto or stick car I have a line on a rear totaled lo k's cobalt ss which I am going the snatch up even if do not use the car for the Goblin Build I want to transplant that ECO-tech into my current car

Hey Robert, thanks for the great information! So helpful to have someone in Ontario giving me information.

I don't know what kind of tricks my broker has, and they've given me the $1500 quote in writing (on two occasions, the second time expressly confirming the first a couple months later). You're right that it is a facility policy. My goblin is running now (not driving though) so I've really relied on that quote.

For import purposes, I figured it was better to sort it out with Transport Canada ahead of time and delete whatever they needed to consider it parts rather than a whole car (and I was hoping I could convince them the whole kit was not a car, which they accepted). TC was actually nice to deal with and I avoided the risk of an overzealous customs officer wanting to call it a whole car. I take your point on the split shipment being hard to catch but the above-board way worked well.

I may come back to you about licensing/registration because you've successfully done it!!
did you have to delete any parts from your stage 3 package

Jonathan O'Hara

so let see some pictures of the car did you start with an auto or stick car I have a line on a rear totaled lo k's cobalt ss which I am going the snatch up even if do not use the car for the Goblin Build I want to transplant that ECO-tech into my current car
I went manual, seems like the more fun way to go.

My (very basic) build log is here: http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/first-build-in-canada-2006-ss-sc-track.640/

I hope to get everything insured and registered in the next two months. If everything works out with the insurance, and I get the paper in hand, I'll let you know the hopefully good news. I do definitely want everything legit so your advice is good!

I have been doing more research about insurance in Ontario for kit cars/dunebuggies the news is grim other than facility policies there is almost nothing out there for these vehicles no insurance company will write these types of vehicle on conventional policies too many limitations with lant and haggerty what I have been able to come up with if you have a kit /dune buggy with a value of approx. $25000 figure on insurance premiums of between
$2300 to $2900 a year depending on your driving record and age

Davey

I personally think that insurance companies stifle our creativity when it comes to home built cars here in Canada. Sux!