Any Canadian friends?

Wesley

Hi Jonathan O'Hara

Any word on the registration & insurance.

I'm thinking of ordering and picking it all up at DF. What would I need at the Us/Canada border(Paper Work).

I live in Mount Albert, Ontario

Ross

Goblin Guru
You would have your USA MCO (Manufactures Certificate of Origin), and a bill of sale, from DF Inc.
Bring your passport, & driver's licence.
Not sure what else they would want... tax money probably...

Last edited:

Jonathan O'Hara

Hi Jonathan O'Hara

Any word on the registration & insurance.

I'm thinking of ordering and picking it all up at DF. What would I need at the Us/Canada border(Paper Work).

I live in Mount Albert, Ontario

I am all registered and insured in Ontario so it can be done! I was worried at points but it actually all went pretty smoothly.

The guys at DF have a good write up about what is required to import the kit into Canada. Getting pre-approval from Transport Canada made things at the border totally smooth for me.

Insurance is pricely, $2000 per year was the best I could find and no option of taking off coverage during the year.

The key part to registration was passing a safety inspection. Because mechanics have some discretion there, you want to get a good, experienced and reasonable mechanic who appreciates the quality of the DF design. They might get you to do some additional work to pass safety (eg all the proper lights and reflectors) after your first visit. I tried to be really thorough and passed on the first visit.

I have an MTO step by step document for the full kit car registration process that I can email you, or probably even post if you like.

I hope that helps!

Jonathan O'Hara

Hi Jonathan

The document would be vary helpful & much appreciated

So the MTO actually just sent me an email explanation of the registration process in February 2018. I understand it comes from one of their internal policy manuals and that this information is only available on request. Here's what they said:

Dear Mr. O’Hara,

This refers to your letter regarding the requirements for registering a Kit Car in the Province of Ontario.

Please note, a kit car is a complete body of a motor vehicle and does not include an engine chassis or drive train. It is a replica of an existing/vintage motor vehicle. Kits are also used to convert bicycles to motor assisted bicycles. Kit cars do not include “gray market” vehicles such as dune buggies, hot rods or rebuilt vehicles. Whereas, a rebuilt motor vehicle, motorized snow vehicle, or trailer is a vehicle which has been constructed using various used or new component parts (e.g. body, chassis, frame, etc.) obtained from other vehicles, an auto wrecker, dealer or manufacturer and that contains minor modifications (e.g. hardtop to convertible, change to number of axles, etc.).

Before a kit car can be registered, it must comply with the minimum equipment standards under Part VI, Sections 61 - 113 of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA), which outlines the various equipment standards for different classes of vehicles. In addition, Ontario Regulation 611 made under the authority of the HTA outlines the various inspection requirements and performance standards needed in order to obtain a Safety Standards Certificate for motor vehicles. You may view these standards at:

Once the above conditions have been met and you have a completed vehicle to register, the following items are to be presented at a ServiceOntario Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office in Ontario:

• Application for Registration (form available/completed at a ServiceOntario Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office).
  • Notarized affidavit (see attached).
  • Photocopies of bills of sale/receipts for main components (i.e. body, chassis/frame, engine, etc.), if available.
  • Permit(s) for vehicle(s) used to rebuild vehicle (for rebuilt/kit vehicle), if available.
  • Safety Standards Certificate (if registering vehicle as ‘FIT’)
  • Proof of Ontario insurance on the vehicle (if attaching plates)
  • Proof of identity for applicant who has never registered a plate or vehicle with the ministry.
Note: A Drive Clean Vehicle Emissions Pass Report is not required.

For a Kit Car registration, the notarized affidavit must contain the following:

Statement that the vehicle is a Kit Car or made with a kit

Declaration that the applicant is the legal, rightful owner of the completed vehicle.

Name and address of the previous owner/vendor/manufacturer of the Kit Car

Date the body, chassis and engine were purchased

Description of the vehicle; which could be a name provided by the manufacturer or the make, model and year of the vehicle the Kit Car is meant to replicate

The V.I.N. of each of the body, chassis and engine

If no VIN present on body, chassis or engine, the affidavit must state “no V.I.N. present for ___________ [body/chassis/engine].”

If no V.I.N. present on body, affidavit must provide statement indicating that applicant will request/obtain a Ministry-assigned/approved V.I.N.

If no V.I.N. present on chassis, the affidavit must provide explanation (e.g. “chassis is a specialty frame,” “chassis is custom made for the Kit Car body” chassis was manufactured without a V.I.N. for military use only”)

• Bill(s) of sale or vehicle permit for the body, chassis and engine. If parts were imported into Canada, a Canada Customs Form or documentation with a Customs Clearance stamp is required. For more information on importation, please contact the Registrar of Imported Vehicles at: 1-888-848-8240 or (416) 626-1803 or www.riv.ca
  • The engine serial number
  • The model, year, make and VIN of the vehicle from which the engine was taken.

An affidavit is required for any of the following reasons:

(a) When required supporting documents are impossible to obtain.

(b) To provide missing information.

(c) To support information contained in documents submitted.

An authorized commissioner can notarize/sign affidavits. The following persons may be authorized commissioners:

(a) Lawyer, Notary Public.

(b) Magistrate, Judge, Justice of the Peace.

(c) Member of the Legislative Assembly.

(d) Municipal Clerk/Deputy Clerk/Treasurer/Head of Municipal Council/Alderman

(e) Head of Municipal Department/Deputy Head/Medical Officer (municipal business

only).

(f) Any person appointed under Section 4 of the “Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act”.

For further further information on kit cars, please contact the ServiceOntario Driver and Vehicle Contact Centre at: (416) 235-2999 or toll-free at: 1-800-387-3445.

Taxes and fees to be paid

13% Retail Sales Tax (as of July 1, 2010) on the declared value of the Kit Car.

Licence plate, licence plate validation and vehicle permit fees

For more information, please contact your local Retail Sales Tax field office, or the Ministry of Finance, Retail Sales Tax Branch at: 1-800-263-7965 or (905) 433-6000.

Please don’t hesitate to contact the office should you require further assistance on this matter.

Regards,

Trina Burton
Enquiry Analyst, Special Enquiries Unit
Licensing Administration and Support Office
87 Sir William Hearst Ave
Room 178
Downsview, ON M3M 0B4
T: 416-246-7229 ext 65414
F: 416-235-4414