Any fixes/changes before disassembly?

baustin

Now that I've got my Cobalt SS donor in my garage, I've started looking things over to see what I got from the auction. I'm wondering if there's any need to work on the donor as is, or if there are other notes to take before I start removing/changing things.

VIN: 1G1AP14P267647036
76206 miles when parked in our garage

RPO Codes:

AK5 - DRIVER & RIGHT FRONT PASSENGER AIR BAGS
ALV - SENSOR INDICATOR
ASF - AIRBAGS, SIDE HEAD-CURTAIN
B0R - PROD WEEK 34
C67 - AIR CONDITIONER FRT, ELECTRONIC CONTROLS
DG7 - LH & RH MIRROR, REMOTE CONTROL, ELECTRIC, COLOR
E2C - ORDER TO DELIVERY, EXPEDITE TO CUSTOMER
FE5 - RIDE, HANDLING, PERFORMANCE
FE9 - EMISSION, FEDERAL CERTIFICATION
FQ7 - TRANSAXLE FINAL DRIVE 4.05
G85 - AXLE, LIMITED SLIP FWD
IP4 - TRIM INTERIOR DESIGN - AR9
JJK - SUSPENSION, REAR INSTALLED
JL9 - BRAKE SYSTEM PWR, FRT & RR DISC, ANTILOCK, FRT & RR WHL
K09 - GENERATOR 120 AMP
LOD - PLANT CODE LORDSTOWN, OH, USA
LSJ - ENGINE GAS, 4 CYL, 2.0L, MFI, L4, DOHC, SC, ALUM, GM
MM5 - MERCHANDISED TRANS MAN 5 SPD PROVISIONS
MU3 - TRANSMISSION MAN 5 SPD, SAAB, 76.5 MM, 3.38 1ST, 0.70 5TH
NP5 - STEERING WHEEL LEATHER WRAPPED
NT9 - EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, TIER 2 PHASE-OUT
NW5 - WHEEL 18 X 7, ALUMINUM
QTJ - P215/45R18 BW TIRE
RE8 - UPGRADE ORNAMENTATION
R6E? - some sales item?
R6P - PREMIUM PAINT
R7V - some sales item?
R9N - HEATED LEATHER APPOINTED FRONT BUCKET SEATS
R9Z - some sales item?
SLM - SALES PROCESSING, STOCK ORDERS
UE1 - COMMUNICATION SYSTEM VEHICLE, G.P.S. 1
UQ3 - SPEAKER SYSTEM, PERFORMANCE ENHANCED AUDIO
US8 - RADIO AM/FM STEREO, SEEK/SCAN, CD, AUTO TONE, CLOCK, ETR, MP3, RDS
U2K - DIGITAL AUDIO SYSTEM S-BAND
V73 - VEHICLE STATEMENT, USA/CANADA
W2E - SEAT FRT BKT, RECARO
ZF5? - spare tire size/type?
1SZ - DISCOUNT OPTION PACKAGE
19I - INTERIOR TRIM EBONY/BLACK (I) 02
194 - TRIM COMBINATION LEATHER, BLACK (4) (96)
2SS - PACKAGE SS OPTION 2 (SUPERCHARGED, 1SS IS NORMALLY ASPIRATED)
56U - PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, SUNBURST ORANGE II MET (04)
6AJ - FRONT SPRING
7AJ - FRONT SPRING
8AC - REAR SPRING
9AC - REAR SPRING

I/M Monitor Status:
Solid:
M / F / CC / C / O / OH / EV
(nothing flashing)

OBD2 Codes when received:
P0171 - system too lean (bank 1)
Fuel sys 1 CL​
Fuel sys 2 NA​
Calc Load (%) 14.1​
ECT (℉) 181.4​
STFT B1 (%) 6.3​
LTFT B1 (%) 19.5​
MAP (inHg) 10.0​
Eng RPM 1565​
Veh Speed (mph) 16​
Spark Adv (degree) 29.0​
IAT (℉) 62.6​
MAF (lb/min) 0.7​
TPS (%) 23.9​
O2S B1 S1 (V) 0.745​
STFT B1 S1 (%) 6.3​
O2S B1 S2 (V) 0.670​
STFT B1 S2 (%) 99.2​
P0102 - mass or volume air flow circuit low input
P0135 - O2 heater circuit (bank 1, sensor 1)
P0141 - O2 heater circuit (bank 1, sensor 2)
P0443 - Evaporative emission system purge control valve circuit

Pending codes:
P0102 - mass or volume air flow circuit low input
P0135 - O2 heater circuit (bank 1, sensor 1)
P0141 - O2 heater circuit (bank 1, sensor 2)
P0443 - Evaporative emission system purge control valve circuit

New OBD2 Codes after idling:
Pending codes:
P0030 - HO2S heater control circuit (bank 1, sensor 1)
P0036 - HO2s heater control circuit (bank 1, sensor 2)

ABS codes:
C0050 (3x in history, 1x current) - 1. right rear wheel speed sensor circuit erratic 2. Right rear wheel speed speed sensor circuit malfunction 3. Right rear wheel speed sensor circuit signal amplitude < minimum 4. Right rear wheel speed sensor circuit
(Wire appears to be broken, may have been cut in past or at auction location during handling)
  • Turn signal does not turn off when steering wheel turned (either direction)
  • Driver side diff output shaft spins forward and reverse (matching gear selection but doesn’t cause passenger side to move car by itself)
  • Slight leaks visible on bottom of engine/transmission mating area, not a large volume dripping but the areas have a decent coating, continues all the way up to beside injectors
  • Auto light switch on/off works on turn signal
  • High beams work normally, push out to stay on, pull back to flash brights
  • Coolant temp seems to drop below 170 easily when off throttle and parked
  • Parking brake doesn’t feel like it’s connected to anything (possibly broken by a wannabe drift move or it could've been damaged by auction forklift?)
  • Econ screen 33.6mpg (89mi on trips)
  • Oil life 71%
  • Fog lights work
  • damage from wreck seems to including: front driver quarter panel, entire front driver suspension (aluminum sheared, strut is hanging from strut tower) sway bar is disconnected, tie rod seems to be fine, brake line is not leaking or broken, wheel is chipped/cracked at tire edge but lugs were all still good and tight
  • wheels/lugs/tires are aftermarket and either broken (driver front), chipped (passenger front) but the splined key was included inside the car
  • no spare tire in trunk, but lots of hay remnants
  • battery is not dated but is 'Super Start' brand, after idling till warm battery voltage
I've got pictures from all sorts of angles and components so I can go back and see how things were if needed. I've got videos for engine running. I idled with an occasional small amount of rev's till the coolant temp was into the 170F+ range (it seemed to drop pretty easily back to below 170F if I noticed correctly).

CajunJeff

Not sure about some of those codes, but the ABS sensors will get disconnected anyway, the Goblin doesn't use them. You can safely ignore those.

I'm not sure what you mean by the output shaft spinning... hopefully the diff wasn't damaged when the front suspension got whacked.

baustin

I'm not sure what you mean by the output shaft spinning... hopefully the diff wasn't damaged when the front suspension got whacked.
My donor is fully disassembled at this point, no worries. I'll find out if it works like I hope when I put things all together, but I think it was just the case of 0% traction on 1 side and 100% on the other, the LSD could put enough power to the good wheel. That or the clutch wasn't able to carry the torque against the resistance of the garage. New clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing are going on anyways.

SkyRay

Hi, I'm not sure where to find this information as I'm sure it is already in the forum. But along the lines of this thread, I was thinking of taking the engine (2009 TC) in for a tune up when I take the car to get the AC evac completed. Does this make sense to do, or better to wait after the build is complete?

Thanks!

Ross

Goblin Guru
Hi, I'm not sure where to find this information as I'm sure it is already in the forum. But along the lines of this thread, I was thinking of taking the engine (2009 TC) in for a tune up when I take the car to get the AC evac completed. Does this make sense to do, or better to wait after the build is complete?

Thanks!
I would get the codes pulled, and see if there is anything needing attention.
A tune up is easier in a goblin than in a cobalt, as the engine is pretty exposed.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Most "tune ups" are plugs, filters, oil, etc. Most of this I assume you can do. If that is the case, do it after the engine is out. You can get to everything that way. Now "tuning", that should only be done after the Goblin is built.

But make note of anything running funny or not working before you tear it down, that way you know if it's something that was already there or if it's something that you have induced during the build.

There is a short list of highly recommended items you address while the engine is out (timing chain, tensioners, guide bolts, etc.).