Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Got tired of getting nothing done this week so I finished removing the motor harness and de-greased/pressure washed the motor. It turned out ok. Nothing amazing ... but the transmission in particular was nasty and now it's passable, so that's a win.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Got tired of getting nothing done this week so I finished removing the motor harness and de-greased/pressure washed the motor. It turned out ok. Nothing amazing ... but the transmission in particular was nasty and now it's passable, so that's a win.
I used a lot of Simple Green and various brushes to get everything clean. I sat there with a bucket of water, would squirt it down with Simple Green, let us sit for a few minutes, then scrub. Most of the time I used a tooth brush. Sometimes a small dish brush. It took a long time but was worth it. Lots of nooks and crannies!!!

Goblin Guru
Simple Green is some nasty stuff. I'll try that next. I didn't have much daylight left so I just got the pressure-washing done that day.

Goblin Guru
I'm pretty much done with the body harness. I didn't really have much trouble with it. The harness starts to make a lot more sense, the longer you work at it.

That being said, I do have one tan/black wire that I am not sure what to do with. Can anyone identify this wire?

20191016_215537.jpg

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Turbo connector labels.PNG

These are the labels that we use for the BODY to DASH connectors (for Turbo harnesses).

Last edited:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
If it is pin B9 it is for the SIR (supplemental inflatable restraint) and you will not use it.

Goblin Guru
I'll check what pin it is tonight after work. I cut that wire at some point in the videos and I know I would not have done so without reason. Just wanting to close any open loopholes before I move into the next video. Thanks for all your support Lonny, you guys are great!

Goblin Guru
Got started on the headlight harness tonight, unwrapping and so on. I came across this bit of oddity when I got the loom off of it. That's a single brown wire; it's got to be 15+ feet of wire bunched up and taped together.

Is there a logical reason they would do this? Some aspect of elecricity I am missing?

20191018_002010.jpg

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The wire should be purple, but it might look brown from getting hot.

Goblin Guru
Thanks, you're exactly right. The room I'm working the harness in is very well-lit, but it's a soft-white type of light that's sort of yellowish. After reading your response, I took my cell phone flashlight to it, and sure enough, it's a purple melted mess, not a brown melted mess!

Per the thread you linked, I'm going to cut the mess out at the block and solder the cut ends together.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
That is the daytime running lights (DRL) resistor. When the headlight automatically turn on during the day they are directed through that long loop of wire which acts as a resistor. That is why it gets so hot.

If you cut it out without soldering the ends back together you will not have day time running lights which I would not recommend.

If you cut it out and solder the ends back together your headlights will be at full brightness during the daytime which is okay.

If you decide to use some of your leftover wire to recreate the resistor, don't concentrate all of the wire in one place like they did. The more you spread it out the better it can dissipate heat into the neighboring wires.

Goblin Guru
I'm fine with full-bright lights during the day, so I'll just solder the ends together after I cut out the loop. I can't believe they did it in such a half-assed manner.

RouteAbel

@Ark :D I'm just slightly behind you with a Turbo build. This thread is super helpful because I had the same questions about the ABS and Onstar wires.

Goblin Guru
Good to hear it's helping out!

I'm finding to ground lugs are a bit different on my harness, too. I was planning to run my own larger-gauge ground wire regardless, but I'm finding all the ground wires to be a bit confusing. Some go to sensor connectors or other connectors, and some go to the fuse block. Tough to tell what's what.

RouteAbel

Good to hear it's helping out!

I'm finding to ground lugs are a bit different on my harness, too. I was planning to run my own larger-gauge ground wire regardless, but I'm finding all the ground wires to be a bit confusing. Some go to sensor connectors or other connectors, and some go to the fuse block. Tough to tell what's what.
Well hurry up and figure it out, I'm sure that is my next stumbling block. :)

Did you ever get an answer to cutting out the yaw rate sensor?