Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Second donor is stripped and ready to get the hell out of my garage. Someone is coming tomorrow to pick up the seats (front and back), exhaust from the downpipe to the tip, the rear axle beam with wheel hubs and brakes, all the SS-specific interior panels, and the climate control and radio. He's doing a SS conversion on his girlfriend's LT. He's paying me $600 for that stuff. I feel fortunate to have crossed paths with this guy.

20190921_182525.jpg

While I was cleaning up my garage, I kept looking over at my poor little motor, all by its lonesome in the corner, and figured I would do something small to it.

20190921_180022.jpg

a_few.jpg

20190921_182508.jpg

Goblin Guru
Did you at least gut your A/C compressor and run it as a bare pulley? That's what I was going to do on my LSJ motor before.......ya know.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I thought the pulley has a clutch in it, so.... it isn't dragging the compressor.
HP Tuners can perminately disable it, but nobody can press the AC switch anymore...

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I thought the pulley has a clutch in it, so.... it isn't dragging the compressor.
HP Tuners can perminately disable it, but nobody can press the AC switch anymore...
You can disassemble it down to an idler, stripped I bet it weights about a pound.

Goblin Guru
Found a busted connector on my motor, but I may be able to repair it.

Can anyone tell me what this piece is called?

20190922_144435.jpg
20190922_144458.jpg

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Yes, that's for the high pressure fuel pump. Your best bet is to solder wires to those pins that are sticking out and use another connector.

It's a critical component.

Goblin Guru
Oi, that's one expensive part! I believe I will repair the connector ... failing that, I'll follow Briann1177's advice and solder on a different connector.

Thanks.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Found a busted connector on my motor, but I may be able to repair it.

Can anyone tell me what this piece is called?

View attachment 10054View attachment 10053
This post is slightly unnerving. I found a plug on our engine harness that had no label.(yeah, we better not make a habit of missing labeling). Started researching it today and then you post this. I started looking at your pics, partly to answer your question and partly to look for my plug. The Cobalt and the HHR are nothing alike. All the same parts, but built totally different. Your fuel pump plug does not look like mine. Good news is, the wires are the same color.

Goblin Guru
Yeah, we're both in for an adventure, no doubt (though you more than me, I am thinking). I'm a very verbose person, and I'm hoping to not annoy too many people on here, but my nature is to keep my build thread pretty active and ask questions/make comments on anything that comes up, specifically for folks like you that might get some value out of it, even if only a little.

The turbo and supercharged cars are not particularly well documented in terms of how to thin the harness either. Hopefully they aren't TOO much different than the base 2.2 harness, but we'll see. I know Adam and Lonny have been busy with producing a new harness thinning series, perhaps that will help address the issue.

Christopher Sanchez

The two differences I can think of off the top of my head while doing my harness are the data wires.. they tie into the ABS module from the pcm and need to be extended to the front of your goblin, they also tie into the rpd unit if your donor has one. I accidentally cut mine from the pcm... 2nd I accidentally cut my 5v reference wire going from the pcm to the clutch pedal switch. These mistakes may have simply been my own lack of ability in paying attention and labeling during tear down but at the very least things to double and triple check when cutting.

Goblin Guru
Are you saying the ABS module needs to be saved from the donor, then? I saved the one from my original donor but was going to leave this donor's in when it gets scrapped because I wasn't thinking I needed it.

*edit* And while on the topic of wiring, would you say the headlight harness is the same between a 2007 SS/SC and a 2008 SS/TC? My 08 TC donor was totaled and part of the headlight harness is missing, so I was just going to use the one from my 07 SC. The part that is there seems to match the 07 SC's perfectly, but figured I would ask.

Last edited:

Christopher Sanchez

The headlight harness issue i haven't the slightest idea I would think that you can just extend your damaged headlight harness wires from the fuse box plug then match the wires as you do your harness. Apparently there is a really important ground within the headlight harness that gave a lot of builders issues with first start ups. No you do not save/ remove the ABS module you will thin out the ABS module plug and just keep in mind that your very important data wires are within that plug. Thinking more about this The harness videos definitely touch on this.

Goblin Guru
Oh, gotcha, you're just saying the data wires pass through it and if I have the RPD display, I need to be mindful of that and extend the data wires to the front of the car for the RPD. I'm in luck there, as I do not have the RPD. Thanks for the tip though.

Christopher Sanchez

Right, with rpd there is just another splice of the data wires to watch for. Honestly I feel that the harness re work were very similar to the videos considering we are stripping to bare minimum. I would not even touch my engine harness to thin it until i heard it fire up and was confident everything was working correctly. Believe me when you start your harness and watch the videos over and over pausing and rewinding it will make sense. You will even hear the background music of the videos in your sleep by then. haha I suck at wiring and my goblin is still running so far:confused:.

Goblin Guru
I'm pretty fortunate in that I'm a pretty technically savvy person. I work in IT for a living so I have to be. Wires don't scare me! I've already watched the harness thinning videos once through, just to get an idea what I am in for, and I think I can handle it.

Now watch as I completely mutilate my harness and have to source another one to ship to DF for thinning, lol!

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I'm pretty fortunate in that I'm a pretty technically savvy person. I work in IT for a living so I have to be. Wires don't scare me! I've already watched the harness thinning videos once through, just to get an idea what I am in for, and I think I can handle it.

Now watch as I completely mutilate my harness and have to source another one to ship to DF for thinning, lol!
PM me your email address. Got something that may be of help to you.