ASkiles' 918GBLN Street Build - 06 SS/SC

askiles

Goblin Guru
I agree, i would have liked to have mine like this. Looking back I do like the easy entry because it really is a little difficult getting in and out. who knows if that would help though.
I am still young, so I didn't NEED the easy entry, so I figured somewhere in the middle would be good. More catering to the Mrs or the daughter. LOL

askiles

Goblin Guru
May 4th, 4:30 AM - alarm goes off for me to wake up entirely too early

6:45 AM - flight takes off from Phoenix to Dallas

1:30 PM - arrive at DF to pick up my kit

2:45 PM - I am on the road and headed towards Arizona once again

May 5th, 3:45 AM - my new Goblin kit arrives in its new home!!

Such a long drive. Now the build really begins...

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
Congrats! That was a long day. The next road trip your Goblin makes, it won't be in pieces. ;)

askiles

Goblin Guru
Quick clarification:

On the stock steering rack, I will keep the donor inner tie rods on, I will just replace the outer tie rod/ball joint with the ones provided in the kit? Then I will put the supplied new inner tie rods on to the provided tie rod bar in the rear attached to the subframe, and put the donor outer tie rod ends on to those? Correct? Thanks!!

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Quick clarification:

On the stock steering rack, I will keep the donor inner tie rods on, I will just replace the outer tie rod/ball joint with the ones provided in the kit? Then I will put the supplied new inner tie rods on to the provided tie rod bar in the rear attached to the subframe, and put the donor outer tie rod ends on to those? Correct? Thanks!!
Yes that is correct!

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
May 4th, 4:30 AM - alarm goes off for me to wake up entirely too early

6:45 AM - flight takes off from Phoenix to Dallas

1:30 PM - arrive at DF to pick up my kit

2:45 PM - I am on the road and headed towards Arizona once again

May 5th, 3:45 AM - my new Goblin kit arrives in its new home!!

Such a long drive. Now the build really begins...
Did you pick up everything (all 3 stages) at once? I'm trying to get my trip semi planned and didnt know if everything would fit in a pick-up.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Did you pick up everything (all 3 stages) at once? I'm trying to get my trip semi planned and didnt know if everything would fit in a pick-up.
I did. I wanted to just make 1 trip, so I paid for and picked up EVERYTHING. On top of just my stuff, I also grabbed stage 3 for another Goblin builder close to me. It was an extended cab pickup so a lot went inside. Boxes and what not. They could have gone in the bed, but with the space inside and it just being me, I didn't need to. It worked well!! Rented the truck from Enterprise for $195. 1 day rental from Texas to Arizona.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
I did. I wanted to just make 1 trip, so I paid for and picked up EVERYTHING. On top of just my stuff, I also grabbed stage 3 for another Goblin builder close to me. It was an extended cab pickup so a lot went inside. Boxes and what not. They could have gone in the bed, but with the space inside and it just being me, I didn't need to. It worked well!! Rented the truck from Enterprise for $195. 1 day rental from Texas to Arizona.
I think I'm going to do the same, enterprise is $600 from Dallas love field airport to Ohio unlimited miles. I have enough flight points to fly me and my brother in law down so we can drive back without having to stop. I think the hardest thing right now for me is picking a color for the frame.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I think I'm going to do the same, enterprise is $600 from Dallas love field airport to Ohio unlimited miles. I have enough flight points to fly me and my brother in law down so we can drive back without having to stop. I think the hardest thing right now for me is picking a color for the frame.
I almost rented a 12' moving/box truck from Budget for about $350ish. Red Oak is only about 30-40 minutes from Dallas/Forthworth where I flew into. The flight itself was only like $60. Then I checked a duffle bag that I took for the other builder, containing his wiring harness. Overall it was pretty easy. 15 hours was a long time to drive straight though. I can only imagine how long it will be to Ohio!

Oh, and choosing a color to have my chassis powdercoated was one of the hardest decisions by far!! I wanted to make sure to have them powdercoat it though, so that I could have them pull the coolant hoses. I did not want to have to do that.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I wanted to make sure to have them powdercoat it though, so that I could have them pull the coolant hoses. I did not want to have to do that.
Come on! That's part of the challenge. Once it is powdercoated that is easy with the tire wet. Try doing it with dish soap..... Had more painting to do and did not want silicone in the shop or air.