Barry's Track Frame, City Goblin 05 Cobalt

A friend showed me these kits on youtube. I was instantly hooked, and I had been looking for another project. I found a 2005 chevy cobalt as my donor, it was smashed in the front and spun around and smashed in the rear as well. Owner was selling it for parts. I went and looked at it, and the subframe was in tact, very little rust, and the front radiator support was a little bent, however I read that the radiator support flange is not needed in the goblin build. The engine still ran, and the vehicle would shift to park and reverse. I checked the the computer system. and 129,000 miles and no check engine lights in any of the ECUs. The only issue was a broken front left steering knuckle, which I can find from the junk yard. and most of the parts I plan on replacing with new. I paid $200 for a ugly burnt orange smashed cobalt. The tow truck driver laughed when he picked it up and with how excited I was. I immediately posted parts for sale on the cobalt, and got lucky sold the interior door panels, and both front seats, as well as the rubber off the rims, and the used front struts (i'm replacing them anyways). Doubled the money I paid for the car, and still had intact electrical system, harness, a running engine. All the fluids looked in decent condition, so the car was well maintained. I will use the extra money to rebuild from the block up with some upgraded parts. which I have not decided which to use yet. I would love some suggestions on upgrades for the engine internals. I was thinking I find a scrap yard 2.4l exhaust manifold, and throw a turbo on the 2.2l ecotec. the engines are almost identical. I also will probably throw a set of high compression pistons in it, and a set of camshafts. however I would like to tune my ECU. I just do not have solid information to if the 2005 chevy cobalts ECU is "Tuneable" Anyways I will have the machine shop clean up the engine block, and the cylinder head for me. And then i plan on using a product called Por 15. It can be used on aluminum to adhere, and it can withstand high temperature. I did quite a bit of research and i think this will be the best option. So i plan on rebuilding the engine and then painting the outside, and then throwing in some accent color to match my frame on the engine. I want to buy a track frame goblin, and use it for city driving. I like the protection with the roll bar, and the option to mount a full windshield between the uprights on the track frame. I have yet to purchase any part of the kit. I am waiting to save some money up to buy the whole kit because I have almost everything except the engine prepared to be assembled on the goblin. So I have stripped the full cobalt, to nothing but the shell. I have also started prepping and cleaning and rebuilding parts and painting parts. Please see pictures. I would love opinions on any ideas on upgrading the engine internals. and options i have for an ecotec 2.2l with the L61 RPO code application. It is a non turbo, but like i mentioned above i think i can use the exhaust manifold off a 2.4l ecotec. Has anyone done this?

the damage on the front right bent in right up to touch the a/c line that runs by the alternator. I could still move the a c line. The alternator, and that side of the engine were untouched with damage

Attachments

IMG_20171021_201048.jpg

I forgot to mention I am a Certified Master Auto Technician for the state of Michigan. So once I cleaned the trash I took it up to the shop and stripped the heavy stuff.

IMG_20171021_201058.jpg
IMG_20171022_115736.jpg
IMG_20171022_115747.jpg

Control arm bolt that ran through the control arm bushing was rusted in there. thanks michigan. So i had to use a torch to heat it up really hot. which caused melting of the bushing to the control arm. I took it off as an assembly. I have to replace the front right side knuckle due to it snapping in the accident. so most of these parts are going to get replaced new on the the goblin. and then there is a good picture here of the subframe out of the body.

More to come soon

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Burnt orange. I think you did it a favor by putting it out of its misery. :)

Nice find and turnaround profit on the parts.