Base Model Turbo Install

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I'm going to start a thread on my journey seeking the all powerful Boost. I have nearly every part of the turbo system ready to install. This does not include all of the supporting mods that will eventually be added, just what is actually necessary to add a little bit of pressure to the intake manifold. It will be a two stage project. Stage one is minimal positive pressure (5-6psi) on a stock 2010 LS. Stage two will be full on insane, Garrett GTX28, 60lb injectors, rods, pistons etc. I have a parts list if anyone is interested.

I've sourced everything so far for less than $250. Almost everything will come off the Saab 9-3 for the first generation of this project.

2005 Saab 9-3 exhaust manifold, Garrett oil and water cooled turbo, oil and water lines were all removed from a junkyard 9-3 at a cost of $130.

2009 cobalt SS turbo intake manifold: $55 on eBay. The turbo throttle does not have the same wire plug as the base, but the base throttle bolts up to the manifold so I will run my throttle on the SS intake. Note that I have gained a lot of info from the Polaris Slingshot forums. Those Slingshots come with stock 2.4 ecotec engines and there are guys running up to 9 psi on the base plastic intake manifold.

The oil lines are easy, I'm going to do it just like stock, the feed comes off the balance shaft passage and there's a small depression just above the oil pan which can be drilled and tapped for a gravity return.

oilfittings.jpg

The instructions for the Hahn Ecotec turbo kit are floating around and were helpful, I'll try and post a link here when I find them again.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Now for the water lines, I haven't had the thermostat apart and wont be able to access mine for a week or two. Does anyone know if I could use the heater lines coming off the thermostat as my turbo coolant lines? Seems like they would be really convenient as there's a feed and return right there.

Are the heater lines plumbed pre or post thermostat...is there water flowing as soon as the car is started or does water not circulate through the heater until after the thermostat opens?

Johvans

Looking forward to this!! I have contemplated removing my supercharger and doing something similar.

Let me know if you'd like to sell your ZZP header since you won't need it anymore! ;)

DanPerryy

I think hot water is constantly circulating to the heater core. That source of water then opens the thermostat which allows the water to return from the radiator. The water pump is constantly pushing hot water from the head to the radiator, the hot water heater, and the coolant tank (the small hose by the fuel rail bleeding any air from the top of the head). If someone know differently pleas let me know.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Looking forward to this!! I have contemplated removing my supercharger and doing something similar.

Let me know if you'd like to sell your ZZP header since you won't need it anymore! ;)
I will definitely let you know. I kinda knew I'd be selling it off when I bought it but it looked really cool so I had to grab one!

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I think hot water is constantly circulating to the heater core. That source of water then opens the thermostat which allows the water to return from the radiator. The water pump is constantly pushing hot water from the head to the radiator, the hot water heater, and the coolant tank (the small hose by the fuel rail bleeding any air from the top of the head). If someone know differently pleas let me know.
Thanks Dan. Also there's a blurb in the Ecotec racing manual about removing the thermostat for track use. But it seems like that would keep the engine below the proper operating temperature.

Justinreed7

I like anything that goes fast
I don't know if you already bought your donor or not but I highly recommend buying a 05-07 cobalt ss with the LSJ supercharged engine. The LSJ can hold some serious boost in stock forum. I turbo swapped my Saturn ion redline and made 541whp 511wtq on a bonestock engine with a s256et turbo at 28.5psion e85. Not only did it make that much, I raced it for two race seasons at that power level. 72 half mile pulls and countless highway racing. Engine is still good, just blew the head gasket a few months ago. A stock 2.2 or 2.4 will explode with anything over 330 even with e85.

Justinreed7

The LSJ comes with a forged bottom end from the factory*** Oh and I recommend a Saab turbo intake manifold and a zzp turbo exhaust manifold with a tial Wastegate. It's worked flawlessly for me.

Johvans

The LSJ comes with a forged bottom end from the factory*** Oh and I recommend a Saab turbo intake manifold and a zzp turbo exhaust manifold with a tial Wastegate. It's worked flawlessly for me.
What engine/mods are you planning on putting in your Goblin?

I'm going to attempt running a similar setup with a smaller turbo (252et) and the factory water/air intercooler with e85. Do you have any thoughts on the setup from everything you went through with your Saturn? I guess I need to plan a trip to TopSpeed!

Thanks!

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I don't know if you already bought your donor or not but I highly recommend buying a 05-07 cobalt ss with the LSJ supercharged engine. The LSJ can hold some serious boost in stock forum. I turbo swapped my Saturn ion redline and made 541whp 511wtq on a bonestock engine with a s256et turbo at 28.5psion e85. Not only did it make that much, I raced it for two race seasons at that power level. 72 half mile pulls and countless highway racing. Engine is still good, just blew the head gasket a few months ago. A stock 2.2 or 2.4 will explode with anything over 330 even with e85.

I was under the impression the 2005-2007 2.4 had forged factory components as well? Hahn has a write up out there where they are doing 400+ on stock 2006 2.4L. That's what I was going to look for next.

Justinreed7

I was under the impression the 2005-2007 2.4 had forged factory components as well? Hahn has a write up out there where they are doing 400+ on stock 2006 2.4L. That's what I was going to look for next.
Unfortunately the 2.4 has cast rods and pistons. I'm sure you can get 400 out of them for a few pulls but I'm talking about longevity and better it up and it taking it. The LSJ takes it and then some. The LNF isn't far behind, it's a great motor as well, but it just can't hold as much power as the LSJ and the valves get excessive carbon build up due to its direct injection.

Justinreed7

For my goblin, I'm starting off with a stock LSJ engine with a s256et that was on my Saturn the past two years. Using the Saab intake manifold and zzp turbo exhaust manifold. Custom piping and a water to air intercooler from frozenboost.com. Tuned on e85 on a safe tune making low 500whp. And Lsd of course to put the power down. Once the stock engine finally wears out I'll go with a girdled 2.4 block with 2.0 rods and crank and a built head. 2.1 stroker motor that'll hold 800whp

JSATX

Goblin Guru
For my goblin, I'm starting off with a stock LSJ engine with a s256et that was on my Saturn the past two years. Using the Saab intake manifold and zzp turbo exhaust manifold. Custom piping and a water to air intercooler from frozenboost.com. Tuned on e85 on a safe tune making low 500whp. And Lsd of course to put the power down. Once the stock engine finally wears out I'll go with a girdled 2.4 block with 2.0 rods and crank and a built head. 2.1 stroker motor that'll hold 800whp
Good info thanks. I have a 9-3 which is just a turbo'd LSJ. I wonder if pulling an engine from one of those would be the best route? 9-3s are more abundant and a little cheaper than cobalt SS anyway....

Justinreed7

Using the engine wouldn't be an issue. It's the same block style as all the other ecotecs. The problem with that is that you might have to use the Saab harness and ecu as well

JSATX

Goblin Guru
You are correct, I'd have to pull all the wiring and redo that. The 9-3 ECU is attached to the throttle body, its weird.

Basically by the time I priced out rods, pistons, and valves I can easily get a wrecked 9-3 for the same or slightly cheaper price. I'm going to continue on with my plans to turbo my current 2.2 but I'm scrapping the plans for actually building it up, not worth the $$ when LSJ engines are out there for cheaper and I have no plans on exceeding 350hp.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Yep, being a much stronger engine is why I decided to go the LSJ route even though I will switch to turbo maybe next winter.

Nuker-

Johvans

Something I've found regarding water cooling the turbo.

"most turbo ecotec's run a t in the engine coolant feed/return line to cool the turbo"

I'm not sure if anyone sells something off of the shelf, but it should be pretty simple to come up with something.

John

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Something I've found regarding water cooling the turbo.

"most turbo ecotec's run a t in the engine coolant feed/return line to cool the turbo"

I'm not sure if anyone sells something off of the shelf, but it should be pretty simple to come up with something.

John
Yes you are correct. It's an off the shelf T fitting for the Saab 9-3. Dorman 627-006 is the part number.