Bench Tuning PCMs

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
There are a couple pins on the X1 connector that are on a different page, but they aren't the pins we're looking for.
20171109_190530.jpg
20171109_190934.jpg

SliderR1

Need one more - can you get a picture of the obd2 plug pinouts for the lnf?

I think everything you need is on connector x2

SliderR1

Oh yeah, lol.

I think you might have to use the High speed GMLan +\- circuits (pins 42 and 55) for your data connection. They'll need to be matched up with the same circuits on the DLC.

I think you can use any of the grounds and ignition from pins 1 thru 6.

Batt +12v should be pin 56.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I got the pin out data from AlldataDIY and confirmed it with some posts I read on HPtuners.

I did make my own PCM connector. I went to the local pick-a-part junkyard and cut one off a Malibu or something... it was the closest thing I could find to the P12 connector and it hooked right in to the PCM.
I tried like hell to find that connector myself, but the 3 Malibu’s I found so far had the harnesses cut. That connector is available new but it is $75. Did you splice the wires, or go with new ECM pins altogether? If you went with new pins, what crimper did you use?

SliderR1

I cut the wires off the plug from the Malibu long enough that I just put a new connector on them. If you go to my build thread you can see the type of connectors and crimper I used.

I used the connector because it takes a different type ECM connector to plug into the ecm for the LS engines. This way I can just disconnect the P12 plug and the put the 0411 plug on the bench tuner.

Here is a link to my build log with the pictures of the connectors and crimpers.

http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/sliderr1s-track-goblin-05-ss-sc.294/

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I tried like hell to find that connector myself, but the 3 Malibu’s I found so far had the harnesses cut. That connector is available new but it is $75. Did you splice the wires, or go with new ECM pins altogether? If you went with new pins, what crimper did you use?
What year of Malibu are you looking for? I have a 2006 (I believe) on the trailer ready to go to the scrap yard.

SliderR1

Here is a list of cars I found online somewhere that lists what vehicles came with an Atlas P12 PCM - which should have the blue connector.
IMG_3597.PNG

The Malibu I found didn't have a P12, I think it had an E40 PCM. It worked just fine on my P12, however, I had to de-pin the whole thing and then re-pin the wires to match the P12...

Brian74

Goblin Guru
What year of Malibu are you looking for? I have a 2006 (I believe) on the trailer ready to go to the scrap yard.
I’m not even sure. It was a month ago I went looking for the connector using heresay info from a website. I do remember it was only certain models. I need an E69 Bosch connector for an LNF PCM. I will likely just buy a new one and re-pin it using the LSJ body harness.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I attempted to set this up but could not get it to read. I first found the documents on EFILive followed them to a T. Then I found your write up and the ECM pins are different. I tried both and couldn't get it to read at all. Would the ECM pinouts be different for an LSJ? I noticed that you aren't using the CAN, is that because our P12 isn't using a CAN bus?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I attempted again tonight to read the spare P12 ECM I have. For some reason, I'm just curious about it and want to read it. But I have spent hours wiring it up and testing and it just won't read. Finally! I figured it out.

IT'S BECAUSE IT'S NOT A P12 - IT'S A E67!!! UGH!

I bought a P12 and they shipped an E67. They look identical other than a very small marking. This E67 came out of a Cadillac DTS V8. Good news, once I figured that out, I rewired it for an E67 and I was able to successfully read it. **** good thing I didn't try it in our car. In the trash it goes. After wiring it up wrong so many times, I doubt it all works correctly so I can't try to sell it.

IMG_5436.jpg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I’ve got my BCM, PCM, and the car’s entire wiring harness (except engine harness) on my dining room table. Plan to plug it all in to a power supply soon to test everything and program the AIM gauges. Hoping I can do a VATS relearn in the process. Would actually be nice to do a PCM flash at this point as well.