Bleeder Screws

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I've been fighting with bleeder screws leaking past the seat and dripping. Come to find out, it doesn't take very much debris to cause them to leak. I didn't realize that when I got mine powder coated, and I think there was still some blast media on the seats even though they looked fairly clean.

I think it would be a good general practice anyways before you assemble the calipers to take some steel wool, cram it down there with a screw driver, and twist it until there is no doubt in your mind that it's clean. Then blow it out and use some brake cleaner. There is nothing more frustrating than tightening a bleeder screw down and seeing it seep out the top.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
All four of ours leaked. We didn't even powder coat them or anything. I had to tighten the **** out of them to the point that I thought I was going to twist them off. The leaking ruined the clear coat of the powder coat on the frame where it dripped.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
All four of ours leaked. We didn't even powder coat them or anything. I had to tighten the **** out of them to the point that I thought I was going to twist them off. The leaking ruined the clear coat of the powder coat on the frame where it dripped.
Thanks for the tip before i powder coat mine that would be a bummer.

nicholas tiratsuyan

Did you ever resolve leak? We have same issue. Can't get them to be bone dry. Always a drip.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Everytime the bleeder is retorqued it rubs the two sealing surfaces together flattening out any high spots.

So it might help to loosen and retorque the bleeders to 97 inch pounds multiple times in a row.

I would try retorquing at least 15 to 20 times and see if it helps.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Everytime the bleeder is retorqued it rubs the two sealing surfaces together flattening out any high spots.

So it might help to loosen and retorque the bleeders to 97 inch pounds multiple times in a row.

I would try retorquing at least 15 to 20 times and see if it helps.
That’s about exactly what I was going to say! On the new build I tightened and loosened all of them multiple times including the joints. Not a single leak this time.