Body Panels @ Engine Area

askiles

Goblin Guru
Has anyone made body panels to cover the sides at the engine area of the chassis? The part that I have circled in my picture. I am thinking about fabricating some panels to cover up a little of this area. Make it look a little more "finished". Looking at doing it on both sides of the car. I wanted to see if anyone else had done that. Post pics!! Thanks!

Attachments

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
If you do, I'd likely be interested in buying a set from you. They're required for inspection in my state.

askiles

Goblin Guru
If you do, I'd likely be interested in buying a set from you. They're required for inspection in my state.
They will probably be a one-off kinda thing, that I have to sit there and constantly trim on until I get it just right.

What exactly is the requirement for you to have them??

Goblin Guru
I haven't looked at the wording in great detail, but I am pretty certain PA requires body panels for the sides and back because of the exposed "hot spots". I will look for details.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I haven't looked at the wording in great detail, but I am pretty certain PA requires body panels for the sides and back because of the exposed "hot spots". I will look for details.
Definitely take a look. You hate to do too much extra work that isn't required. Aren't there other members on here from PA?

Goblin Guru
I believe so, yes.

I'm at work and don't have the time to do my homework on this right this moment, but I know I read about someone having equipped their Goblin with rear body panels, then removing them after the inspection. I'm fairly sure it was Karter.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I believe so, yes.

I'm at work and don't have the time to do my homework on this right this moment, but I know I read about someone having equipped their Goblin with rear body panels, then removing them after the inspection. I'm fairly sure it was Karter.

Looks like he didn't have any panels covering up the engine area, so you should be good. It sucks it takes so long to get your cars registered in PA, and that they are so strict on inspections. I took it down to ADOT here in AZ for inspections, took about 45 minutes, got the VIN, then went to the MVD and got the title shortly after that. All within a few hours.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru

Looks like he didn't have any panels covering up the engine area, so you should be good. It sucks it takes so long to get your cars registered in PA, and that they are so strict on inspections.
Oh those panels were on there along with a whole list of other items that were required. That may or may not of fallen off after it was all done:rolleyes:. See my list of stuff under the registration thread.

IMG_20190701_123302.jpg

IMG_20190701_123332.jpg

Andy, I can give you a few tips on the fastest and easiest way I have found to make a pattern for the panels.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Oh wow!!! That would be great. I was thinking of using cardboard to lay it out, trim it up, make it fit, and then cut them out of 18Ga aluminum. Or use painters tape and make a pattern.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Oh those panels were on there along with a whole list of other items that were required. That may or may not of fallen off after it was all done:rolleyes:. See my list of stuff under the registration thread.

View attachment 10504
View attachment 10505

Andy, I can give you a few tips on the fastest and easiest way I have found to make a pattern for the panels.
What about the rest of us in the forum? We don't get the tips on pattern making? I am near this stage of progress, need to know!

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Oh wow!!! That would be great. I was thinking of using cardboard to lay it out, trim it up, make it fit, and then cut them out of 18Ga aluminum. Or use painters tape and make a pattern.
What about the rest of us in the forum? We don't get the tips on pattern making? I am near this stage of progress, need to know!
Wow Ross you are in a hurry!

I did use cardboard. I searched for thin cardboard all the time to use as a pattern for all my CAD ( Cardboard assisted design) projects. I used beer boxes, and other similar materials. I could never find anything that was large enough for big patterns. I ran across this guy about a day after he posted this video called. It's Friday Fool You Need This Tool. I have had this in my shop since that day. You can bend it for items that need to be used on a brake. The best part is when you trim too much off you just go cut another piece off and start over. I have used on the Goblin to lay out the box for my parking brake, Brackets for my headlights, and for the plates with the side marker lights for the rear. I even used it the other day to fit a ceramic tile in a awkward corner. About five templates then only one cut in the tile.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
So here is a great example of what I was talking about with the Ramboard. I need to find a heat exchanger for my car. So before I spent $149 on this one from Frozen boost I was able to 3D model it. I now know that it will not work. It needs to be about an inch or two shorter in width. Looks like our local radiator shop will be building one. Here are a few shots of the work up.
IMG_20191106_082048.jpg
IMG_20191106_082110.jpg
IMG_20191106_082902.jpg
IMG_20191106_083453.jpg
IMG_20191106_083504.jpg

So now I can pull it apart shorten it up re bend the sides and try again. Best of all I have a model for the rad shop that I can mark where the mount tabs and fittings are to be located at.