Bosch Intercooler Pump

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
As you can see from the picture below, my pump is dated 06/09/2012, which is five years newer than my donor.

What is the best way to test this thing out of the car to ensure it is working properly?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
So the first one lasted 5 years. This one is 7 years old..........

They suck and they go bad often. I wouldn't take the chance on it.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I hooked my intercooler pump up to 12V ( The pump is labelled + and - ). No water, no sound, no running motor.
Guess it is time to get a new one.
Wait... there are some aftermarket ones,
ZZP has what looks like the stock BOSCH for pretty cheap.
This guy took it apart, and found out it was just worn out brushes.
So I took mine apart - yup, the brushes are worn out.
The old brushes are 6mm x 9mm, Ebay has some 7x11mm that will work (after I file them down a little).
Well we will see if I spent $8 wisely... it is cheap enough, I might as well try to fix it.
Besides, I am thinking of being silly, and putting some clear intercooler pipe on, with some colored antifreeze.
If I do that, I will probably notice when the pump dies again.
I think the date is YY-MM-DD, making this pump 2005-12-20. Otherwise, it expired before it's "best before" date 05-12-2020.

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I hooked my intercooler pump up to 12V ( The pump is labelled + and - ). No water, no sound, no running motor.
Guess it is time to get a new one.
Wait... there are some aftermarket ones,
ZZP has what looks like the stock BOSCH for pretty cheap.
This guy took it apart, and found out it was just worn out brushes.
So I took mine apart - yup, the brushes are worn out.
The old brushes are 6mm x 9mm, Ebay has some 7x11mm that will work (after I file them down a little).
Well we will see if I spent $8 wisely... it is cheap enough, I might as well try to fix it.
Besides, I am thinking of being silly, and putting some clear intercooler pipe on, with some colored antifreeze.
If I do that, I will probably notice when the pump dies again.
I think the date is YY-MM-DD, making this pump 2005-12-20. Otherwise, it expired before it's "best before" date 05-12-2020.
Because they run all the time is why the brushes are worn out. That's typically what happens to most 2-wire motors. Not a bad idea to replace the brushes. Nothing wrong with that. But they can be a booger to get back together unless they have holes for the brush holders until it assembled.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Is there a brushless version? I'm kind of surprised they're not brushless from the start. Must be a cost or size thing.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Is there a brushless version? I'm kind of surprised they're not brushless from the start. Must be a cost or size thing.
If there is, I'm sure it's much more expensive. A brushless motor will have to have a motor controller associated with it.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I can ship you some free brushes...
With my intercooler getting fresh air, and short hose length, I can barely get any heat into my intercooler water.
I know some guys have a heat issues when you are pushing the HP hard, but stock 205HP, it only gets warm.

Your engine already has the 3.1" pulley. Does it have other mods?
This intercooler relocation modification will probably cool better than a fancy water pump and your intercooler behind the front radiator.
I can see around & under the short intercooler when driving and doing a shoulder check.
Guess it comes down to time and money... lots of choices.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I will check it out and see. Its possible the previous owner has replaced it. He did do the timing chain. The car just appears to have the 3.1 pulley and 60lb injectors and tune since it runs pretty good. I plan on putting a top on the car so the inter-cooler relocate wouldn't work as well for me.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I will check it out and see. Its possible the previous owner has replaced it. He did do the timing chain. The car just appears to have the 3.1 pulley and 60lb injectors and tune since it runs pretty good. I plan on putting a top on the car so the inter-cooler relocate wouldn't work as well for me.
Garantee it’s bad unless it was recently replaced.

I don’t understand why the PO would put larger injectors in without more boost. Doesn’t make sense. There is no need for more fuel and if the ECM doesn’t see a need for more fuel, it’s not going to add anymore. Even with the extra boost we have, I don’t know if I have ever logged over 45% duty cycle of our 60s. Heck, I don’t think I need them.

Sorry, not dogging on you or your build, just thoughts.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Garantee it’s bad unless it was recently replaced.

I don’t understand why the PO would put larger injectors in without more boost. Doesn’t make sense. There is no need for more fuel and if the ECM doesn’t see a need for more fuel, it’s not going to add anymore. Even with the extra boost we have, I don’t know if I have ever logged over 45% duty cycle of our 60s. Heck, I don’t think I need them.

Sorry, not dogging on you or your build, just thoughts.
I think the stock was like 3.35 I’ve read that every 1 tenth drop in pulley size on the m62 is about 1 psi increase. The good thing is someone else has gone through the trouble of pulling the pulley and putting larger injectors in now a pulley swap will be a breeze. Also will probably have the car tuned for e85 and the bigger injectors may help.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I was thinking stock when you mentioned your pulley size. Even then, I don’t think the stock injectors are maxed out with the small amount increase in boost. I cloud be completely wrong.

Yeah, that’s awesome that someone did the pulley swap for you. I assume you have the adaptor installed now so now it’s just a quick change. We had to buy the tool and then later sold it in the forum.

The bigger injectors will definitely come in hand if you tune for E85.