Brakes!

Hi folks, aspiring goblin purchaser here with just a few silly but important questions (unable to find answers with the search feature)

I have recently purchased a cobalt ss/tc that is intended to be the donor for a future kit that I will be purchasing. As I'm looking through people's builds I'm noticing one thing that hasn't been discussed at length or isn't touched on much.... and that's brakes.

Being that my donor is an SS and has the Brembo upgrade I was wondering if anybody has used these on the kit . Just from knowing cobalts I know that this would severely limit the wheels and tires that I could run. I also know that due to this kit car weighing half of what the cobalt Weighs there's a good possibility I don't need that much braking.

Just wondering what everybody's opinions on brakes are. guys that have kits, guys that autocross or road race them are they having issues with fade and what are the stock brakes most often used .

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Daniel,

We don't ever plan on running the Brembos on any of our cars. They are way too much brake for such a light car and require larger front wheels (and tires) than we prefer to run. It just doesn't take much brake when the car weighs 1500 pounds.

With the SS/TC kits we supply 11 inch front rotors for the front (these come from the 5 lug base/sport Cobalt) and 10 inch rears. You can reuse your Brembo brakes if you want or you can sell them to offset the cost of your build.

David

So I had pretty much the same question but let me see if I got this right,so your using the base cobalt front calipers on the rear of the goblin and your kit comes with the calipers and rotors for the front of the goblin and also the goblin rear rotors.

Now has anyone had problems with overheating or not enough braking power for heavy track and autoX use?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
So I had pretty much the same question but let me see if I got this right,so your using the base cobalt front calipers on the rear of the goblin and your kit comes with the calipers and rotors for the front of the goblin and also the goblin rear rotors.

Now has anyone had problems with overheating or not enough braking power for heavy track and autoX use?

Haha, I ran at the funday sunday a few weeks ago in Iowa on the road course. I'll tell you I almost got rear ended twice because I was breaking so fast on the 180 turn and this was by a 911 turbo :D . 120 to 50 happens so crazy fast you just have to experience it. Brakes showed no signs of fading on any of the 20 minute sessions. I did choose to have custom 1 piece SS brake lines on the front because I did not trust the rubber on the track.

Nuker-

David

Haha, I ran at the funday sunday a few weeks ago in Iowa on the road course. I'll tell you I almost got rear ended twice because I was breaking so fast on the 180 turn and this was by a 911 turbo :D . 120 to 50 happens so crazy fast you just have to experience it. Brakes showed no signs of fading on any of the 20 minute sessions. I did choose to have custom 1 piece SS brake lines on the front because I did not trust the rubber on the track.

Nuker-
I was going to do the SS lines either way so your saying no need for the brembos on the rear and just stick with the oem for the rear and what the kit comes for the front

Where did you get your ss lines did you do them locally or online

JERMzSS

Nuker is there any way you can provide the specs needed to make copys of your brake lines? Mine will be tracked as well and only wana pay to have them made once. lol

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Brakes are a non issue. This is something that everyone is concerned about in the beginning, but there’s no reason to be. The stock brakes are more than enough. There’s no ABS on the car, it takes practice to not lock up the tires.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
****, Wish you would of told me, I would of taken a trip over there and seen what was up!

They are a reputable company in this area I'm really surprised....

Nuker-

David

So just a question in my case I have a 08SS/TC with the front brembos if I want to use the base cobalt front brakes on the rear on the goblin what's the name brand of part # of the calipers that I should buy for the rear of my goblin and also I'm guessing the bolt pattern is the same

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
So just a question in my case I have a 08SS/TC with the front brembos if I want to use the base cobalt front brakes on the rear on the goblin what's the name brand of part # of the calipers that I should buy for the rear of my goblin and also I'm guessing the bolt pattern is the same
If you order an SS/SC or SS/TC Goblin kit,you will receive all 4 brake calipers and rotors with your kit. We will match your rotors to whatever lug pattern you go with (TC guys tend to go with 5x114.3). All you'll have to buy are the brake pads.

For further clarification, you will receive 2 of the 11 inch rotors and calipers for the front and 2 of the 10 inch rotors and calipers for the rear.

David

If you order an SS/SC or SS/TC Goblin kit,you will receive all 4 brake calipers and rotors with your kit. We will match your rotors to whatever lug pattern you go with (TC guys tend to go with 5x114.3). All you'll have to buy are the brake pads.
Great i didn't know that where can I go to see what comes with the SS/TC goblin kit so I now what not to buy

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
I've attached lists for TC Goblins. These lists have minor changes as we get feedback from builders out in the wild and some of the items are still being worked on (TC intake/intercooler system) so your final part list will likely be slightly different. The stage 3 list is also simplified and will vary depending on the options you select.

Attachments

David

I've attached lists for TC Goblins. These lists have minor changes as we get feedback from builders out in the wild and some of the items are still being worked on (TC intake/intercooler system) so your final part list will likely be slightly different. The stage 3 list is also simplified and will vary depending on the options you select.
So just so I know my donor came with a zzp intercooler is it safe to say that I can sale it since your working on a system for the goblin?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
****, Wish you would of told me, I would of taken a trip over there and seen what was up!

They are a reputable company in this area I'm really surprised....

Nuker-
It’s all good, no worries!

While we’re talking about brakes didn’t you get a power bleeder? Im still having issues with air in the lines, my vacuum bleeder isn’t cutting it so I think I’ll get s pressure bleeder next.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
It’s all good, no worries!

While we’re talking about brakes didn’t you get a power bleeder? Im still having issues with air in the lines, my vacuum bleeder isn’t cutting it so I think I’ll get s pressure bleeder next.

Yep, I had zero problems with the Motive pressure bleeder. Pump the reservior up to 10psi and open each bleed valve on the breaks one at a time. Clutch I did next found out you have to bleed it and pump at the same time else it don't work LOL

Nuker-

On that note, At high speed and heavy but not lockup pressure the car does pull to the drivers side, but I have only noticed this above 90mph.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
I'm confused about the front brakes... The DF guys just posted the new Build Guide video (Part 24) for Front Brakes and it looks like the front brakes come from the donor... but when you look at the Order page / site, below the kit options for base vs manual vs supercharged vs turbocharged it states the following:

"All kits include the tube chassis, aluminum fuel tank, coolant system, front suspension, front brakes and other basic hardware."

Can you kindly tell me if the kit come with front brakes or not?

David

I'm confused about the front brakes... The DF guys just posted the new Build Guide video (Part 24) for Front Brakes and it looks like the front brakes come from the donor... but when you look at the Order page / site, below the kit options for base vs manual vs supercharged vs turbocharged it states the following:

"All kits include the tube chassis, aluminum fuel tank, coolant system, front suspension, front brakes and other basic hardware."

Can you kindly tell me if the kit come with front brakes or not?
I asked the same question and Adam replied and he said if you order the TC or SC kit that it comes with all 4 calipers.
Look at 6 post up