Brian's City Goblin-06/Crate MotorTC #61

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Not sure where you're at in the build process, but there were a few posts here recently that made me leery about the strength of the floor pan. This was before I started the build. I decided to just stick with the stock method, and I'm glad I did. While height doesn't matter, I'm 6'5" and 210 and it holds me well. There is a tiny amount of flex, but it still feels sturdy.

Take that for what it's worth. BTW, please post pics of your completed harness.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
If I do the diamond plate on the floor it will only run 10-14 inches forward of the front seat cross brace just to provide a stepping point upon climbing in.

Got the body harness out to the car this weekend to check the mock-up fit. Everything looks good. I brought the dash harness in and got started on it. I had to pin in/add the CPP and brake position wires as the 2006 harness does not come with them. I had to remove and swap a pin on the instrument panel connector. I centralized all of the dash grounds to a single location. I will use 2 ground terminals. I found that using a torch works great for re-soldering the multiple ground terminals. I cut back and repinned the body harness X4 connector terminals to make everything an even length. Next I will build the extension harness for the body harness C201 connector.

Running into a bit of a jam with the driver information center button circuit. The 2009 uses a slightly different switch circuitry and so far I’m having no luck finding the wiring schematic for it.

F1AF76E6-7405-4C7A-8A57-7DAD1DDF6C8B.jpeg
04A5EA7A-7D3F-4144-AA50-02D573E0033B.jpeg
C4F46924-E1EC-49E8-8934-1812B673132C.jpeg
382B40E5-F0E6-4DCA-9F25-4F6702685BA0.jpeg
8324BC0F-92D9-49F3-AC88-00B051C47C11.jpeg
72DA0776-CEF6-49ED-896A-31FE46FF05F9.jpeg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Its been a little slow lately as I’ve been busy with several other projects. My next goal is to fully mock up the dash & body harnesses to check fit. I ordered & received a new fuse box/ECM mount for the Bosch E69. I drove 100 miles to the pull your own yard today in Phoenix and picked up clutch & brake pedal assemblies out of a 2010, as my 2006 pedals are not compatible with my setup. I also grabbed an alternator.

4B6766C8-7B74-4B66-8FBA-9D68F98667A2.jpeg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Much of my time today was spent brainstorming and drawing up diagrams for my added circuits. I decided to integrate my fwd rad fan and liquid to air radiator fan wiring into the main harness. I will run the ECM relay trigger for the L2A radiator straight to ground as well as for the pump so it they always run with the key on. Its a bonus that my donor came with the pump, engine pump mount, and a dedicated pump relay. The 12 gauge wires will connect with a 3 pin 630 series Delphi plug off of the main fuse box.

I am going to run a pw modulated dimmer rotary switch for the instrument lights and junction all of my dash & switch lighting at a terminal block. I jumpered the factory dimmer pins inside the BCM connector.

I just ordered 20 or so various 2,3 & 4 pin Delphi 150 series sealed connectors for all of the lights, turn signals, horn ect. I’m hoping one more solid weekend on this harness and I will be ready to do a mock up and functional test. I plan to have the harness fully completed, tested & wrapped prior to even beginning my stage 1 build. It will look factory made.

I plan to have custom labeled and etched illuminated switches made for my switch panel. Will probably pull the trigger on those tomorrow.

Still not sure what to do on the stereo. I would love to run a double din below the gauge cluster to be able to use the screen with a reverse camera for my rear view mirror, but it seems that will be a tight fit. Does anyone know what size speakers Demo Matt mounted in the front of his car? They look like 4” speakers but I cannot tell.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Started rough mock up on my switch panel today. I was going to go with the billet round black buttons but they have no backlighting behind the etching, making them difficult to see at night. Instead I am playing around with ideas for using V series Contura toggle switches. The panels will be cut from 16 gauge steel and powdercoated to match the frame. All the switch rockers will be custom etched. Horn switch will go on the steering wheel hub, using a coiled cord.

021FC6F0-29FF-4597-9473-9ADF1D7BAB55.jpeg
6075CF41-C136-411E-A4A0-A4DF90540559.jpeg

Attachments

theeulogy

I like the direction you are heading with the panel. I too will go down this path, as I would like to retain the cruise and have some sort of radio.

theeulogy

I know that prices would be really high, but is there any way to order parts off the Atom? The Atom has a perfect solution to the AC delete as well as cool stuff like this, that would really tie the car together.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I really dig the super cool looking MXS Strada; but at $1200 its a little out of my price range...
61C762D2-46F1-44AD-8B4D-1670781F1692.jpeg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I found that nobody in the world seems to have the Contura SPST switches with dual blue led backlighting, so I ordered the white led ones. I ordered some colored led caps from an led store; hopefully that will suffice. For future reference those caps are 5mm wide. I’ve also drawn up the schematics for which pins to solder my new cruise control resistors on to the momentary dual pole switch.

I ordered 19mm billet buttons in anodized black for the info center switches. I am having them etch the info center button logos into the center of the buttons.

All in all, I came out around $250 for all of the switches & buttons.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Got a TON of work done today.
82B809E2-B87E-496F-A351-D7A59E37E14E.jpeg

Rewired my CHMSL brake light to use the #2 windshield wiper relay since I’m using the 2006 fuse box. It is fused with a 15A fuse now and its identical to the factory circuit.

Rewired my BCM blower relay to be a ground switched relay. When key is off, that relay will supply a ground for the motion sensor to activate my courtesy lights by sending a ground signal to the BCM door switch sensing trigger. Since I am using the factory circuit and controls, it will do a soft turn off after 20 seconds. When key is turned on, it will drop that ground and switch off the courtesy lamps. I am using a triple throw dual pole rocker switch which will can turn the lights on, off, or motion only.
59F57D00-AB81-4F6D-AE32-01D1B6512C3E.jpeg

A7048D0B-F78F-4CD5-BF1B-E51FDBBB1808.jpeg

I added in the cooling fan wiring to the main harness. I will use a 2 position plug that will connect at the engine harness and the 2 fan power wires will run inside the main body harness.

Changed my switch layout slightly. I will relocate my accessory plug down near the floor. I pinned my factory dimmer wires together at the plug and will instead be using a pwm dimmer switch for all instruments and switches. Still waiting on my info center buttons.
8EA75AAC-D3F0-4EB3-9A8B-EF789B6585B0.jpeg

Got a huge order from mouser with all the connectors to do my lighting and cooling fan harness. Every connection on this car will be environmentaly sealed using GM factory connectors.
BB175D00-0C6E-42DB-B6D2-001462EFB421.jpeg

All I have left to do is add the cooling pump circuit into the engine harness and build in the forward lighting harness. I am hoping I will have enough leftover wire from the rear harness to just use for that; if its not too hot tomorrow I will go out in the garage and start mocking everything up.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I was a little paranoid about the VATS issue with these cars, so I called LKQ in Kansas and it turns out they actually still have the Theft Deterrent Module from the exact same 2009 SS that I bought my PCM & BCM from. I ended up ordering that TDM ($35). I will just try & use the key and key sensor from my donor. Since the PCM,BCM, and TDM are now all from the same car, I assume I should be able to do a 30 minute key relearn as if I had simply lost the original keys.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I was a little paranoid about the VATS issue with these cars, so I called LKQ in Kansas and it turns out they actually still have the Theft Deterrent Module from the exact same 2009 SS that I bought my PCM & BCM from. I ended up ordering that TDM ($35). I will just try & use the key and key sensor from my donor. Since the PCM,BCM, and TDM are now all from the same car, I assume I should be able to do a 30 minute key relearn as if I had simply lost the original keys.
That sounds like a good investment!