Brighter headlight bulbs

Indy Lonnie

I put one of these in my motorcycle a few years age. It was necessary. The street legal bulb would not light up the road. I figure with the Goblin, I need all of the help I can get to keep noticed.
I took the Goblin in this morning to get wrapped. My wife drove our Honda Odyssey. When she was next to me, she said couldn't even see me without wrenching her neck and looking for me. I'll take all the help getting noticed I can get. There are other wattage's of the bulb, higher and street legal in the same bulb. I know this one works well.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I have been tossing around changing my halagon H4 that came in my headlights to LED but I have been hesitant to try. I also have been looking at the Philips bulbs.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I agree highly the DF supplied headlight are terrible at best, at least mine were. They were dangerously dim!!!! However, something you really need to consider is the factory harness is designed to work with 35W/55W bulbs. If these are basically twice the wattage, that means twice the current flowing through the wires. And the factory harness is on the verge of being undersized as it is. Want proof? Check out our first build thread where the fog lamp purple wire harness is melted, and this is from the factory bulbs!

Not trying to pee in your Wheaties, but it is something to be aware of.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The purple wires were used for the day running lamps. At least on mine they were. GM used a smaller gauge wire and a longer length to create a voltage drop to make them run dimmer. It was by design; albeit, a piss poor one.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Almost every GM and Ford that I have worked on in our fleet has destroyed either the plug or the wiring for the daytime running lights. Had Tahoes and pickups melt the socket. The Ford interceptors would melt the socket and wires. Now that they have switched to LED drl's it has helped the problem. I actually have a chart in my office with high temp pigtails on it to replace the problem harness and plug.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Almost every GM and Ford that I have worked on in our fleet has destroyed either the plug or the wiring for the daytime running lights. Had Tahoes and pickups melt the socket. The Ford interceptors would melt the socket and wires. Now that they have switched to LED drl's it has helped the problem. I actually have a chart in my office with high temp pigtails on it to replace the problem harness and plug.
There is a tsb on the interceptors, once we started using the oem Phillips LL bulbs we stopped melting connectors, anything else used and you,are going to be replacing pigtails.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Typically melted plugs are from poor connection (corroded terminals, etc) causing a high resistance with high current creates high heat. Lower current if LED lights helps to prevent this also.

TravMac

I swapped my 05 suburban over to LED's front and rear. You better believe the Goblin will get a similar treatment! A few of the builds on here feature the rigid lights as well. Just aim them appropriately and shouldn't run into any trouble.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Typically melted plugs are from poor connection (corroded terminals, etc) causing a high resistance with high current creates high heat. Lower current if LED lights helps to prevent this also.
These are on our fleet of police cars. No bad connection but lit almost 24/7 tends to make some heat.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Adam told me to get these works great. No more burn sockets
I must of been ordering them as you posted this. I do not have the DF supplied lights but I am also not satisfied with my output.I keep aiming them higher and higher. So I figured I would give these a try. I will post an update after I get them installed.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Wow What a difference. Just put these in the car LED bulbs they are bright. My headlights are crap though. I cannot get a good pattern before with the halagon or after with the led. But they definitely brighten things up and add visibility at night. They were a little tough to jam them in the housing. In the end it was a big improvement.