Build Guide Part 12 - Reorganizing the Wiring Harness, Part 2

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Build Guide Part 12 - Reorganizing the Wiring Harness, Part 2
In Part 12 we continue to reorganize the wiring harness to fit the Goblin

canyon bolieu

5:16 of the video I don't seem to have this plug harness is from an 06 cobalt ss. I see the twisted wire but I don't have that purple and black conector I only have these 3 not sure what to do need help

Attachments

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
The giant black connector is for the anti-lock brake system. ABS isn't something that is easily reused in the Goblin because we move the rear sensors to the front and vice versa. We also run staggered tire sizes front and rear which will confuse the computer even more.

So all you need to do here is find the twisted tan & tan-blk wires going into the plug and the twisted tan & tan-blk coming out and solder them together to complete the circuit. Then you can thin out the rest of the ABS wires.

Canyon's ABS plug.jpg

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
The only big plug that I have that matches that data wire and a couple others has red colored plastic on the locking part.

Nuker-

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The turbo ABS is black and white and the supercharger ABS is black and red.

You can cut that plug out along with its wires except for the tan tan/blk twisted data wires that go into and back out of it.

The data wires need to be able to continue on as if the ABS plug was never there. Hook tan to tan and tan/blk to tan/blk.

We now have Johvans' supercharger wiring harness to rework. We will use it to make some supplemental videos for the SS builders.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Oh that is great news, Because I think the SC is quiet a bit different!

Nuker-

The turbo ABS is black and white and the supercharger ABS is black and red.

You can cut that plug out along with its wires except for the tan tan/blk twisted data wires that go into and back out of it.

The data wires need to be able to continue on as if the ABS plug was never there. Hook tan to tan and tan/blk to tan/blk.

We now have Johvans' supercharger wiring harness to rework. We will use it to make some supplemental videos for the SS builders.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
At 5 minutes into the part 12 video, There is a wrapped up data wire that is connected to the "engine connector" I don't see that purple plug anywhere. Nor have we cut anything like that out. We have not cut any data wires yet.

Nuker-

PS sorry for being a pain in the ass.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Can anyone confirm these 3 plugs, And to remove or not and if not what do they go to?

Thanks!
Nuker-

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Can anyone confirm these 3 plugs, And to remove or not and if not what do they go to?

Thanks!
Nuker-

The four pin on the left is a sub woofer.
The two pin in the middle is for the trunk light.
The blue two pin is for a rear speaker.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Sweet, I can be rockin a sub while rolling on the track!

Nuker-

Thank you, Lonny.
PS how is the SS/SC harness coming along?

RichN

OK, which wires do I splice to the 4 wires coming from the harness?
This fuel pump is from my running 05 donor and it is the same as the one from the junkyard; both did not have the Nu6 code.

DSCF3064.JPG
DSCF3067.JPG

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
We have not encountered a pump that looks like that. I did some research last night and learned that the 2005 Cobalts used that pump.

The pumps we've used have a 4 pin connector built into the top and no wires. Yours also has what appears to be a pressure sensor on the top.

We aren't sure if the 05 pump will work with your 07 donor equipment. If you hook up the pump without the sensor, I'm not sure what the pump will do. In the 05, the computer might use the info from that sensor to regulate the pump. On the other hand, that sensor may only report pressure changes to the computer for fuel trim adjustments and the pump regulates itself like the later model pumps. The pump could also output a different pressure than the 07 PZEV or the other non-NU6 pumps.

I think you need to get a later model non-NU6 pump that has no wires coming out of it. You'll also want to get the plug and a short length of the pigtail that goes to the pump to solder to the wires coming from your car.

RichN

OK, now I have 3 useless fuel pumps; getting a little disappointed :(
Will these work?
I searched eBay for 08 Cobalt 2.2L
pump $66 harness $31
That's only a few dollars more than I paid for the used one at the junk yard.
I've purchased car parts from both of these sellers in the past with no problems.
If the harness will work; can you post the wire color to the pin?
Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-For-2006-2008-Chevrolet-Cobalt-2006-2007-Saturn-Ion-In-Tank-/231178161062?hash=item35d34acba6:g:3ZQAAOSwc-tY6yKY&vxp=mtr

Fuel pump.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Body-Harness-Connector-Dorman-645-925-/322387553051?hash=item4b0fcbab1b:g:gfUAAOSwmgJY3hZ~&vxp=mtr

pigtail.jpg

Adam

Administrator
Staff member

RichN

Hi Adam,
Thank you for finding the connector at a big savings.
Ordered both; they should be here by Tuesday.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
We have not encountered a pump that looks like that. I did some research last night and learned that the 2005 Cobalts used that pump.

The pumps we've used have a 4 pin connector built into the top and no wires. Yours also has what appears to be a pressure sensor on the top.

We aren't sure if the 05 pump will work with your 07 donor equipment. If you hook up the pump without the sensor, I'm not sure what the pump will do. In the 05, the computer might use the info from that sensor to regulate the pump. On the other hand, that sensor may only report pressure changes to the computer for fuel trim adjustments and the pump regulates itself like the later model pumps. The pump could also output a different pressure than the 07 PZEV or the other non-NU6 pumps.

I think you need to get a later model non-NU6 pump that has no wires coming out of it. You'll also want to get the plug and a short length of the pigtail that goes to the pump to solder to the wires coming from your car.
I have the same pump that came with my 05 donor Cobalt SC. Do I need to go ahead and purchase the same pump and pig tail as Rich?

Thanks
-Logan

SliderR1

You don't have to. I used the pump off of my 05 SS/SC. I just installed a generic connector between the harness and pump.