Build Guide Part 5 - Removing the interior and dash

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
DF Goblin Build Guide Part 5 - Removing the Interior and Dash
In Part 5 we strip the interior and pull out the dash.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
At 3:00 this video shows using a screwdriver to push on a something in the corner of the seat that allows the seat backs to be removed. I cannot locate this clip/tab. Compounding this problem is the damage to my donor has pushed in the area at the back seat about 2 inches. I am not sure how to get the backseat removed without completely destroying the seat and rear interior panels. Any suggestions?

Tim Moland

I was frustrated at this part as well, but it truly is that easy. Once you figure out where to push with the screw driver, it just pops right out. I'm attaching a picture of the outside of my removed seat. Maybe it will help with how the clip is attached to the seat. Sorry, I don't have the car anymore, or I would get pictures of the tab you should push on.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Thanks. I'm assuming some kind of clip/tab fits over the stud in the seat? I've watch the video frame by frame and only see something silver being pushed to the side to release the seatback. I will continue to pay with this and hope I stumble onto the secret.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Thanks. I'm assuming some kind of clip/tab fits over the stud in the seat? I've watch the video frame by frame and only see something silver being pushed to the side to release the seatback. I will continue to pay with this and hope I stumble onto the secret.
You are correct. There is a spring tab that goes over the stud bolt. Highlighted in yellow is the stud bolt and circled in red is the retaining clip. The screwdriver will push the clip outward away from the seat/stud. It might be tight up against the seat and may not be able to see it well. You may also have to wiggle the seat/stud up-down a little bit to get the head of the stud to slip through. Good luck!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Jeff, thanks. I was hoping it would show and actual look at the tab when the seat back was out, but it did not. If I could see what this part looks like, it would be easier for me to understand how it works - I'm a visual person. I will keep playing with it.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Thanks Lonny. Seeing how the locking tab sits on the end of the retaining bar helps to know what I am feeling around for. Just hope the body panel is not too crushed up against the end of the bar.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
What a royal pain in the a$$. The accident pushed the end of the bracket in and the slot to pull the seat back out was pinched, so the stud would not come out of the bracket. I ended up pulling the bottom of the seat out first, removed the 4 bolts holding the bottom seat bracket and then literally ripped the seat backs out of the car still mounted to the bracket. They are out now.