Build Guide Part 9 - Thinning the Dash Harness

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Build Guide Part 9 - Thinning the Dash Harness
In Part 9 we unwrap the dash harness and thin out the unnecessary wires.

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I know I missed something in the videos, but what is done with the dimmer knob wires? They get tied up, but I can't seem to find where in the videos they get used.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
OK. Dumb question. Why solder them together as opposed to just cutting them? Does that force them to remain at full brightness when headlights are on?

lksohm

Can we remove all of the radio wires and amplifier wires?
I only saw the two connectors for the radio addressed in this video.
Just trying to be super thorough with the wiring part of my build.

Ross

Goblin Guru
@5:21 Lonnie mentions to "use the trunk release button to identify and cut the wires".
So I did... but later I found out that my wiring harness (2006 SS) had 3 connectors that all fit the trunk release button.
I cut out the wrong one. Not sure what it was suppose to be connected to.

Here is the connector that I cut out. Anybody know what it is suppose to connect to?

Here is the connector that I found later, that I labeled "Trunk release"

Here is the 3rd one that fits this connector:

Attachments

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
@5:08 Lonnie mentions "Our donor didn't have fog lights or traction control, but if yours did, identify ... and remove them"

So is this the fog light button?

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
After I finished the video, I had a few extra connectors that I'm not sure what they are.
Like this white one:

and this green one:

This slightly melted one:

and an extra Climate control one that wasn't mentioned. I guess it can be eliminated.

Last edited:

Tony

Am I the only one that never sees Ross's photos? I just get a do not enter sign.
Same.

As far as the first question though, the Traction Control, Hazard Lights, and Trunk Release all use the same connector. The only one you need to keep is the Hazard Lights, and the wires for it are black, gray, and white.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Am I the only one that never sees Ross's photos? I just get a do not enter sign.

View attachment 8731
Thanks for telling me. I edited my posts, so hopefully you can see the pictures now. I was using Google Photos to store my phone pictures up in the cloud, then using my laptop to post those cloud pictures.... but that only worked for me :(
I just downloaded the pics from the cloud, to my laptop, and used those to edit my post.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Thanks for telling me. I edited my posts, so hopefully you can see the pictures now. I was using Google Photos to store my phone pictures up in the cloud, then using my laptop to post those cloud pictures.... but that only worked for me :(
I just downloaded the pics from the cloud, to my laptop, and used those to edit my post.
Works now!

Ross

Goblin Guru
After I finished the video, I had a few extra connectors that I'm not sure what they are.
Like this white one:
View attachment 8735

and this green one:
View attachment 8736

This slightly melted one:
View attachment 8737

and an extra Climate control one that wasn't mentioned. I guess it can be eliminated.
View attachment 8738
The white one went to the pogo stick for the lights, the green one went to the ignition switch, I eliminated the climate control one, and the melted box I think is the TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system), but I'm not sure...

Ross

Goblin Guru
View attachment 8751
I think this is your boost gauge plug.
Dang, I think you are right. I need to solder that back in, but I am finding my ALLDATAdiy.com membership to be less that helpful.
So far I have found the diagram for this connector:

But no way to find the circuits that the wires connect to. Heck, they don't even know how to spell "Gauge".

Tony

Tony, thanks for trying, but I'm not sure how that helps. Is there some section of that diagram that has one of the wires?
The boost gauge is outlined on the left. The four wires are labeled and you can follow where they go. Here's some more from the wiring diagram.