Can a 2.4 N/A engine be converted to a supercharged 2.4 with a SC from a 2006 2.0?

Madkat

Can a 2.4 N/A engine be converted to a supercharged 2.4 with a SC from a 2006 2.0? And can the auto transmission be replaced with the standard from the same 06? I’ve got a low mileage 08 Sport and can get the 06 SS/SC for cheap. Wondering if the changes are possible without to much effort.

Madkat

Yes the ZZP kit makes it possible, I’m wondering if the parts from the 06 could be reused to supercharge the 2.4L?

Wes

I added a blower to my 2.4. Used all the pulley stuff from the lsj so I can run the wider belt. The only thing I had to shave a little off the side of the head to clear the tensioner. There is a little rewiring needed for the temp sensor and the throttle body too but it was all pretty simple to do.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
The intake and SC will be the same. You will need several other parts that the kit includes. Along with a tune. You might be able to get away with the zzp stage 1 PCM for the LSJ? That's a zzp question.

Nuker-

Wes

You don't need the ZZP kit if you have the entire lsj motor and accessories. The alternator, tensioner, idler, a/c compressor(gutted), balancer pulley all bolt right up to the LE5. I even used the lsj fuel rail because it looks nicer. The only thing was the tensioner rubbed when I put it on so had to clearance the head. Get the LSJ cooling kit from DF, figure out the plumbing, throw some 60 lb injectors at it and HP tuners and you are in business. You will need to get it tuned somewhere local to you, most GM guys/shops should be able to help.

Madkat

Thanks Wes, the details you provided are valuable and I will have the complete car to work with. Sounds like you’ve done exactly what I’m asking. I see Nukers point with using a kit for adding a Supercharger to the engine when starting from scratch with nothing else to work with, but that’s not case here. The question was posed in case the engine on the 06 SC is cooked and I’ve got a strong 08 2.4 and trying to keep costs down. If 06 2.0 is in fair condition I’ll just leave it all together and overhaul the engine not bothering to switching it over. I’ll know more when I pick up the SC Car. Trying to keep my options open.
Thank you both for your point of view, I am sure that I’ll have more questions moving forward.

Tinkles

This write up is for supercharging a Cavalier. Most of the info/procedures will work. The main difference is that you can use the LSJ throttle body because all Cobalts are drive by wire(Cavaliers are not).

Along with a tune. You might be able to get away with the zzp stage 1 PCM for the LSJ? That's a zzp question.

Nuker-
It wont work because the 2.4L LE5 has VVT and the 2.0L LSJ does not. You would need a custom tune on the 2.4L LE5's PCM. I forget if the LSJ and LE5 have the same crankshaft reluctor wheel or not.

I say toss the supercharger kit on the 2.4L LE5 anyway. The LE5 has a higher compression ratio(10.5:1 vs 9.5:1 If I remember correctly) and larger displacement so you should make more power with less boost compared to the 2.0L LSJ.

Last edited:

Madkat

Well I was able to acquire the 06 SS Supercharged. Turns out it was a young lady’s car and it’s in very good condition except for the lower spoiler in the front where she made contact with the ditch pushing the rads back against the engine. With a slight tug back some clearance was achieved a turn of the key and she fired right up sounding sooo nice. Right up onto the trailer and she’s mine!! Overall the car looks to have been very well maintained.

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Great donor. Leather seats and the interior looks excellent. Should be able to sell many parts to help recoup the cost of the car. Guessing it has an auto trans? That should sell pretty easily if you are still considering installing a manual. You will need the clutch pedal and hydraulic setup. If you are required to have a hand brake, make sure to keep the whole set up. The ECU will need to be reprogrammed to eliminate the trans controller. You're off to a great start!

Madkat

Yes it is a very good donor! It’s a SS SC 5 speed standard. This will be my goblin car but I also have an 08 sport with a 2.4 NA Automatic that’s a daily driver. So I’m going to “Up grade” the Sport. Looking forward to getting at it.