Carl's Track Goblin - 05 SS SC donor, Chassis # 39

Dre

The problem with most plastic when it comes to heat is creep, especially when its near a high heat source.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I might if neccessary. Is there any reflective or insulating material on the underside facing the header?
The header wrap seems to do pretty well. I've slipped getting out of my race kart and instinctively went to support myself, which happened to be the header. If it wasn't for that wrap, I would've had 2nd to 3rd degree burns on my hand. Only slightly singed myself. No blistering.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Had a little time and working on the steering column assembly. In looking at other peoples builds, is their supposed to be an included turn signal cancellation ring and split collar?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Had a little time and working on the steering column assembly. In looking at other peoples builds, is their supposed to be an included turn signal cancellation ring and split collar?
Yep. And it supposed to be mounted with the tab pointing towards the turn signal when the wheel is straight. I thought it was supposed to be 180 degrees out and I was wrong (turn signal flashing for hours).

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Yep. And it supposed to be mounted with the tab pointing towards the turn signal when the wheel is straight. I thought it was supposed to be 180 degrees out and I was wrong (turn signal flashing for hours).
That's funny right there!
I'll email Adam and see if he can get that sent out.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Thanks for posting as I'm following your lead on this. I'm having a hard time visualizing why 180 degrees out won't work. Is it because of how far you'd have to turn the wheel before it cancels?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
They seem fairly tight at the moment. Out in the sun and air flow while driving might indicate otherwise. The PLA slides fairly easily on the powdercoated tubes.

I might try wiping a thin film of clear silicon RTV sealant to the inside of the clip and let it cure before snapping them on. That might give it a little extra grip on the tube.

If your're interested, I can send you the file.
I wiped a film of clear silicone glue on the inside of the clips and let it cure. Put the clips back on and it definately keeps them from rotating.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Thanks for posting as I'm following your lead on this. I'm having a hard time visualizing why 180 degrees out won't work. Is it because of how far you'd have to turn the wheel before it cancels?
It cancels by coming out of the area of the turn signal and then comes back, at that moment it cancels. If it's 180 degrees out, it has to be turned quite a way before it finally cancels. I found this out on the Arkansas trip with Lonny, fortunately the one tool I had with me at the time was the allen wrench needed. I fixed it in a parking lot while at lunch with everyone.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
It cancels by coming out of the area of the turn signal and then comes back, at that moment it cancels. If it's 180 degrees out, it has to be turned quite a way before it finally cancels. I found this out on the Arkansas trip with Lonny, fortunately the one tool I had with me at the time was the allen wrench needed. I fixed it in a parking lot while at lunch with everyone.
Unfortunately mine isn’t long enough. It doesn’t cancel the blinker no matter how many times you turn the wheel.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
You might have a little bit of adjustment room in your turn signal mount. I remember having to play with mine for a few minutes before I could get the switch to feel solid when banging the switch arm around.

Not sure how far off yours is, but it might be worth checking.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Doing a little polishing. Raw finish on the right, polished on the left.
15280669232498268616608005601269.jpg

Used a cutter key in the drill with Emery cloth on a scotch brite backer. A LOT easier than by hand.
15280671292765206095422702423673.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I like the cotter key idea. I have a piece of Scotch-Brite glued to a nail currently that I have used for many things, but this seems like it would work better.

I too polished those bellcranks, but did it by hand. The sad part is, they will eventually oxidize again anyway.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
After polishing, gave them a couple coats of clear to keep them from oxidizing. The clear might yellow over time in the sun light though.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Got the shifter and the cables installed. I believe its adjusted correctly. Without the engine running I can shift to 1st thru 4th and reverse. Not really able to get it into 5th all the way.

With the ZZP short shift adapter installed I had to trim off the front of the shifter plastic.
1528164183671199615429556175174.jpg

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Hack saw cut on the tunnel cover? I like the idea, but mine is already powder coated and I know I'll make a mess with it. I better leave well enough alone.