Carl's Track Goblin - 05 SS SC donor, Chassis # 39

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Slider1, I think that's it!
Thank you!

Now I can continue with stripping those out.

I've been making headway, although slow, it's forward progress.
IMG_1818.JPG

Currently on assembly video 18. Working on getting the wiring routed at this point. Then start testing and won't wrap it up until I can fire it up.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Had a little daddy daughter time last night. So what did we do, worked on Goblin!
She helped modify the ignition switch, removing most of the protruding column bracket from it. Used a hacksaw to remove the big pieces. Then used a high speed grinder and hand files to smooth things out.
Then we drilled out and tapped the mounting bosses to take 10-32 stainless bolts with unlock nuts and washers.
She bolted it up and I snugged it down.
IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

She had fun doing that and wanted to do more! I had to tell her there's still PLENTY to do, just not tonight.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I think I'm missing something in the wiring diagram.
The wiring diagram with dropouts and distances is awesome. Thank you for posting.
But I'm not seeing the length between the BCM drop out and where the throttle, clutch and brake wiring connectors drop out?
It looks like everything else has a measurement except this.
Excuse the lousy picture and free hand.
20180122_162333.jpg

JSATX

Goblin Guru
It’s been a long time since I did this so I’m not sure...but I believe that stretch of cable is already the correct length, you don’t have to modify the length. You simply cut out the large blue locking connector and that’s the length you’re left over with.

Actually no.... somewhere in the wiring instructions it says to add a certain amount of length like 18” of wires to where that plug gets cut out.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
If you assume there are 7'6" of extension wires between the orange stars, you can kind of estimate it. If you add about 12" or so from the right orange star to the tail light wires, you get approximately 102" between the left orange star the the tail light wires. You can then subtract the difference between the BCM connectors and the tail light wires, and you get roughly 44" inches between the area you labeled with a "?" 102 - (90 - 32).

That's the best I can come up with. :)

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Also, I believe that is an actual picture of the harness so the measurements you see should be to scale of the picture. You can just measure how long 12" is on the picture and see how many of those fit in the area you laid out.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Thanks guys for the response and info.
Some of the lengths I'm having a hard time making out in the wiring diagram photo. That's even with the glasses on.

Ultimately I was looking for the gauge cluster connector distance from the BCM.
I've skipped around in the videos doing various parts of the wiring up to this point and remembered about having to lengthen the gauge wiring. (Skipping around Not recommended.)
During lunch at work the other day I just sat and watched through all the wiring videos.
Found that length to be 40". In case someone else has trouble finding it.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Haven't made much progress on the Goblin lately due to family obligations that has kept out of the garage.

But, since being inspired by SliderR1's creativity and needing to be inside the house, I went and purchased a 3D printer kit. It's still early, but I think it may be best tool I've ever purchased!

Like SliderR1, I believe the Goblin deserves a different tail light to fit its look.

Here's what I came up with. Basic mount to get this LED tail light mounted to the chassis's existing bracket. I might still make some changes to it though. Thinking of adding a hood or sun shield that goes across the top and wraps down and around about half way of the lens.

20180220_100002.jpg

20180220_100029.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
They are a lot of fun and handy to have. My son is working on a switch panel that mounts under the dash. I'll be posting pictures of it when it's done and lit up.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
It opens up all kinds of possibilities for prototyping and finished products.

I've only used PLA filament at this point but looking to test with the ABS soon.

Has anyone used PTEG filament? It looks to handle higher temps as a finished product, better than PLA and ABS.

SliderR1

Adam mentioned using ASA filament as it has some UV resistance. I ordered some, but haven't tried it yet.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Getting close to completing the wiring. Working to finish up the headlight and taillight wiring now and then deal with the fuel pump situation.
20180226_202149.jpg

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Getting close to completing the wiring. Working to finish up the headlight and taillight wiring now and then deal with the fuel pump situation.
View attachment 2882
How many hours have you put into the wiring portion? Looks good. I'll be working in a one car garage too. I need to start organizing and getting things together. I am thinking I may just do the wiring harness in my basement though.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
That is a 4'x8' sheet of plywood you see there.
What you can't see is the chassis underneath the plywood.

Weather permitting, I have moved that sheet outside on saw horses for easier accessibility. Then back in when done for the day.

For the amount of time spent on the harness it's hard to say. I've had only a few opportunities to spend more than a hour at a time until just recently. This for me makes it difficult to come back later and quickly pick back up where I left off. Taking time to review the videos and ramp back up again. Plus the 2005 SC harness is different than the videos, having to figure out how to sort those issues and extra wiring. Base model wiring looks to be far simpler with less circuits to start with.
I'd say I've spent roughly 20-25hrs so far.

For me, it's a lot easier to work on the wiring continuously, multi hours a day until it's done. If you have a couple of free days together you could easily knock it out.

On a side note. Since you have a single car garage, wrap the front upper shock mount with towels, packing foam, something. Otherwise your shins will start to have dents in them like mine. :eek:

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
That is a 4'x8' sheet of plywood you see there.
What you can't see is the chassis underneath the plywood.

Weather permitting, I have moved that sheet outside on saw horses for easier accessibility. Then back in when done for the day.

For the amount of time spent on the harness it's hard to say. I've had only a few opportunities to spend more than a hour at a time until just recently. This for me makes it difficult to come back later and quickly pick back up where I left off. Taking time to review the videos and ramp back up again. Plus the 2005 SC harness is different than the videos, having to figure out how to sort those issues and extra wiring. Base model wiring looks to be far simpler with less circuits to start with.
I'd say I've spent roughly 20-25hrs so far.

For me, it's a lot easier to work on the wiring continuously, multi hours a day until it's done. If you have a couple of free days together you could easily knock it out.

On a side note. Since you have a single car garage, wrap the front upper shock mount with towels, packing foam, something. Otherwise your shins will start to have dents in them like mine. :eek:
Man, 25 hours. That makes me just want to send it to DF to get them to do it.