Carl's Track Goblin - 05 SS SC donor, Chassis # 39

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
To avoid putting extra side load on the bearings, I ordered a short length of .750 OD x .125 wall round 6061/T6 tube on eBay and cut spacers to fit gaps. That was probably just an overabundance of caution.

View attachment 3075
I like that idea. I think I'm going to make spacers as well. To me, that much preloaded tension could be an issue down the road. (No pun intended)
It's unneeded stress on the welds and rod ends. Plus, pulling it apart could cause the control arm to twist, out at the kingpin rod end, changing the intended geometry. Could possibly make it a constant variable geometry change when hitting road bumps, cornering loads, etc., twisting one direction then the other.

Silverback

I would be more worried about changing the tested geometry of the frame than the tiny bit of tension created when tightening down the arms. About everyone’s A arms have required stretching a little, I think when they weld them it causes them to pull in.

Did you already get an alignment done or did ya do it yourself?
I'm not on the ground yet, so no alignment. I'm pretty sure any change in the geometry will be minimal since the spacers maintain the same mounting axis. I had considered cold-setting the arms. Depending on which control arm moved, spreading the arms would have a similarly minor impact that would be corrected during an alignment.

Last edited:

Silverback

Last edited:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Well I just got done with the sketchiest thing I've evet done, besides going to that Regge concert back in the early 90's.
20180325_193518.jpg

But it's on and done. I would've taken more photos but OSHA would've flipped!:D

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I was close to trying the same thing. I decided to just have a company come take it for free. I didn't want to mess up my trailer, rent a new one or spend additional time taking the shell to the scrap yard.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Nice job. That is how we did it also, cut a section out and the slip right out. Getting a new one in is a different story. :eek:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Installed ZZP dual pass endplate with new orings and some more cleaning.
New tensioner pulley installed.
Pulled the alternator as the field wire plug was broken in its accident. Rebuild kit?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
It's amazing what you can accomplish with a good vise and a welding clamp.
New bushings installed!
20180412_155035.jpg

My daughter helped install new spark plugs a new oil filter.
Torqueing the oil filter cap. I'm so proud of her.
20180414_172150.jpg

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
She has a light touch, 18ftlbs.
It was funny. When it clicked she thought she broke something. She was all worried while I was cracking up at her reaction.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I was just teasing anyhow. Actually I had to wrench really hard on mine to get it off. I ruined the original cap, at least to the point that I didn't want to re-use it. Dang thing was tight!