Chris’s 2007 SS/SC track frame build for autocross

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Hmm, like the copper, what other color will you be going with for the body, etc.?
Hate to say this but it clashes with the Z06 red... :p
I have a black and gold pearl 14 Ram and I really like the color It’s almost brown looking in the sun. If it go that route the racing stripe color may be hard to choose

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Update on Build:

I received word my frame will be finished this week. I don't have the time to take off work to drive out from Virginia so I will have the kit shipped as soon as its ready.

I have all my wiring and parts ready to go on. Ordered 1 OMP WRC seat from Murray Motorsports which unbeknownst to me is in Europe so hopefully that wont get held up in customs.

I pulled the trigger on some wheels and turns out a Drifter had just bought up all of Fegenwerks stock in the 6 spoke 15x10.5's ET -32 : https://www.felgenwerks.com/15x105-wheels , FelgenWerks called and said they still have the japan tuner style with the banana spokes but they haven't grown on me yet so I cancelled. I still have a set of 15x7 and 16x7 /4x100 et42 pf01 wheels from my mr2 spyder that will work just fine until I find some nice wide wheels to get some hoosiers on.

Last edited:

Vegas Roy

ccannx, normally I would be able to help you out but I'm not heading home for a while yet. I do have my truck and trailer here. A friend of mine picked my chassis up, for me a am planning to build mine in Texas, then to California before home. I am following your build to see if you hit roadblocks at DMV. I can help you with insurance when the time comes. I have actual value on my dune buggy for $20k for $250 a year.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
ccannx, normally I would be able to help you out but I'm not heading home for a while yet. I do have my truck and trailer here. A friend of mine picked my chassis up, for me a am planning to build mine in Texas, then to California before home. I am following your build to see if you hit roadblocks at DMV. I can help you with insurance when the time comes. I have actual value on my dune buggy for $20k for $250 a year.
I'm still on the fence about registering it for road use. I have actually turned the plates in on my corvette and stopped paying insurance/taxes on it because it is just an unnecessary expense. I still tow to events and drive them hard just not on the road. Its difficult not getting myself in trouble with the law in the Vette I imagine it would be much more so in the Goblin.

I would like to register it but i'm afraid I would only drive it on the road 1 or 2 times a month which leads me to a couple of questions. Can DMV's revoke registrations on cars that have already established them ? If you let a registration lapse on a kit car would it be difficult to re register it ? Going through the trouble a registering a car would suck if it got revoked a couple of years later but I think the more Goblins on the road the less likely that will happen.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
My frame was finished up a couple weeks ago and just waiting on it to get crated up which should happen next week. I guess it may take a couple more weeks to get here but hopefully not. Still not sure of where to have it delivered. I have never really shipped anything freight before. I have a 4 door Ram 1500 and an 18ft trailer so I guess that would be enough to pick the kit up but not sure if a forklift is necessary where I pick it up from.

In the meantime I ordered the brake pads and found a 10% discount for all products ZZP "ECOTECMEGAMEET19" I picked up HPTuners Pro 2 credits and a PLX wideband for 764.69 still alot of money even with the discount but will be worth it since I can use it for the Corvette and the Goblin. Been watching a lot of LSJ HPTuners videos in my spare time.

I also received my "OMP First-R" seat which was supposed to be an OMP WRC but decided to keep it since it is a good fit. Installed it in the corvette for test fit an it was fantastic for autocross. It is really deep and holds me in place well hopefully its not to difficult to get in and out of with the track frame.

Hopefully I will have everything ready to put the goblin together quickly when it gets here. Anyone have tips or parts that don't come with the kit to put it together quickly and smoothly? I hope to get a few auto-crosses in before the season end in November.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Alright, another HP Tuner builder. If you uncrate the Goblin, you can put it in your truck, no problem. The frame is the heavest part, and mine was 190 lbs for a city frame, so 2 people can load it, easy.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Chris, did you order all 3 stages for the kit? Did you pick up any extras - hood, side panels, parking brake, etc. - when you ordered your kit? Best general advice: follow the videos and read the build logs for other builders who have the same SS/SC donor. Then ask questions. I am sure that an answer will be fairly quick from the DF family to help you keep your build going along smoothly.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Chris, did you order all 3 stages for the kit? Did you pick up any extras - hood, side panels, parking brake, etc. - when you ordered your kit? Best general advice: follow the videos and read the build logs for other builders who have the same SS/SC donor. Then ask questions. I am sure that an answer will be fairly quick from the DF family to help you keep your build going along smoothly.
Yes, I asked for everything all at once and assumed it would take a little more time. Ordered June, 3 2019 I'm not able to pick the kit up myself It is a 19 hour drive each way I have a split tour schedule and no days left to take off this year.

I ordered ss/sc standard track frame
my extras are :
4x100 rotors
rear coil-overs
braided brake lines

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Work seems to get in the way all the time.....;) I'm glad I ordered all 3 stages, when I first ordered just stage 1, then paid for all 3. I bit the bullet and ponied up the extra cash, rather than paying for shipping 2 or 3 times. You won't regret getting everything at once, just need to have room in the garage to store everything until you are ready to bolt it in. Shipping was not too bad - I paid $550 and I am 1200 miles from Red Oak in Phoenix - 18-20 hours one way.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I got word my kit is all crated up and waiting on pickup. If All goes well i may have my shipment here in Richmond by Wed the 18th next week.

My 200k supercharger is making a little noise on startup hopefully a new coupler and some fresh oil will quiet it down. I would hate to have an excuse to buy a 1320tvs but if this doesn't work that may be the route I take.

Attachments

Last edited:

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I actually remembered how to loosen the Idler this time to take the belt off but the star nut is starting to look worse for wear.

The coupler was really easy to replace and only cost 10$ I did use two bottles of the supercharger fluid but I may have spilled half a bottle on the floor trying to fill it back up the wrong way. Hopefully this will remedy my noisy supercharger.

Attachments