Coating options for tube frame and control arms

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The POR15 prep is an etcher but not a primer, so it will not coat the steel to prevent rust over time. It is meant to prep the steel to bond with the basecoat when ready to paint. If you are worried about rust - and will be using the POR cleaner and prep steps before doing the basecoat - you could spray the steel with a misting oil. That way you will not have to try to remove a paint primer from the chassis when you are ready to apply the POR15 basecoat. The oil should come off easy and help prevent rust/further rust, within reason. SE primer is still a paint and even though it 'self-cleans' the steel it still does not chemically bond to the steel as the POR15 basecoat will. This is just my 2 cents of opinion.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
oh yea! I know the prep is not a primer and it would have to be added to the purchase list given I'm not going straight prep > paint. Here's the SE primer (https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Self-Etch-Primer ) . The description does not necessarily mention that it has additional magic other SE primers don't have. I'll give them a call - I really appreciate the oil recommendation, that may be the easiest route

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Just a heads up! I bought a variety of POR-15 products directly through their website without doing much due diligence.

Long story short, POR-15 is selling through Amazon materially cheaper than there own website and will not price match it. It's not all products, but their OEM Bedliner is $40 cheaper / gallon ($120 vs $80), Rust Prevention is about $45 cheaper / gallon ($176 vs $133), 2K Urethane is about $40 cheaper / gallon ($235 vs $193) and you don't have to pay for shipping or hastle if you need to return it.

Oldchevyguy

My recommendation for those contemplating using POR15 on their frame is to spray it, not brush it as I did. It dried rough in some places, and tended to drip. It required 4 hours of hand sanding to straighten out, before I base coat/clear coated it, and I'm probably going to redo some highly visible areas. If I had to do it again, I would you a epoxy primer sprayed on, but that just me.