Coilover Options

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I highly recommend going to softer springs in the rear, it really is a game changer for handling.
How soft are you recommending? Currently going with the 300lbs. Lonny had that I thought his handled really well. Although I didn’t take it to the track or anything.

redline

How soft are you recommending? Currently going with the 300lbs. Lonny had that I thought his handled really well. Although I didn’t take it to the track or anything.
Sorry work has been crazy. 125 lb rear with 600 lb front is working very nice.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Sorry work has been crazy. 125 lb rear with 600 lb front is working very nice.
Not arguing, but that seems really extreme. Isn't that really soft in the rear and very hard in the front? I get that the springs stand up in the rear but 125lbs per spring per inch is when the engine alone weighs in at 400lbs. It just seems like the rear would roll in a turn.

redline

you could even go lower in the rear but 125 is pretty amazing. the shocks that come with this car are not even close for optimum suspension. I now get roll in the rear which lets me setup for turns and actually use the sidewalls on my tires. You want roll in the rear as long as your not breaking loose. I am still not pushing in the front with the 600 lbs now the front does have 175 lb keeper springs which absorb bumps pretty well. This setup is the one that George sent me and it handles WAY better than the original setup. I wish I could let you drive this thing once.

SliderR1

I'd love to see some pictures of your setup with the keeper springs. Are you using QA1 springs?

what length base springs are you using with the helper springs? and what length are helpers?

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
The 600# spring is 8" long ( makes it easier to install helper spring) Use Hypercoil HYP18DS100 adapter between main spring and helper. Helper spring is Eibach EIB0175-250-0150. Requires that main spring be compressed to install helper.
Any brand of 2.5x8x600 coilover spring will work.
The rear spring is a QA1 2.5x10x125. It is longer than original to give more consistent spring rate.
PS. you can use the Hypercoil CS100 as the helper spring, it is easier to install.
This setup seems work well but each car is different, and each driver want a different feel so it may not be perfect for every situation.
The reasoning for this setup is to take up the body roll control on the front wheels as the have very little load and not overload the rear in cornering so that they can put power down for acceleration out of the corner.

Brad

redline

under hard driving at an auto-x event we were able to get the front to push. for how I drive I like the rear setting but might soften the front a little. we also had an issue with locking the front brakes up under hard braking.

All this being said I feel we also need to fine tune the ride height, camber adjustments and the rear tow in. we took a shot in the dark on these and I am sure with some tweaking each can be better setup. I will measure everything and do a write-up then start making adjustments. a few more events and we will have this thing dialed in.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
The 600# spring is 8" long ( makes it easier to install helper spring) Use Hypercoil HYP18DS100 adapter between main spring and helper. Helper spring is Eibach EIB0175-250-0150. Requires that main spring be compressed to install helper.
Any brand of 2.5x8x600 coilover spring will work.
The rear spring is a QA1 2.5x10x125. It is longer than original to give more consistent spring rate.
PS. you can use the Hypercoil CS100 as the helper spring, it is easier to install.
This setup seems work well but each car is different, and each driver want a different feel so it may not be perfect for every situation.
The reasoning for this setup is to take up the body roll control on the front wheels as the have very little load and not overload the rear in cornering so that they can put power down for acceleration out of the corner.

Brad
So if I understand this setup correctly, there is no crossover ring being used, only a floating spring divider, meaning that the front system has an effective linear spring rate of 120 lbs until the the Eibach tender is coil bound, at which point you have a 600 lb spring rate until the tender is no longer bound. Are you experiencing coil binding with the Eibach tender springs? If not, wouldn't it make more sense to run a single 120 lb spring?

George

Goblin Guru
The Eiback tender spring has coils that are ground flat for the purpose of binding. The only take up the slack so the spring does not fall loose. It have almost no effect on handling. You can also use the Hypercoil CS100. It is 25 pounds per inch. It is easier to install.
Brad

askiles

Goblin Guru
Thanks everyone thats contributed to this thread, has made ordering all the part really easy.

While getting my rear coilover parts all together, found that Summit Racing has the springs way cheaper than directly from QA1. The Cap was cheaper too, free shipping as well.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-10ht125

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hal-9018-101
I ordered the 9HT300 springs, which on Summit are still the same price as QA1. Those 10" 150lbs springs are a great price!

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I tried searching and not sure what spring rates actually come with the ss/sc kit when ordering the rear coilovers from DF. Does anyone know the spring rates that come on the front and the rear. Is it all BC coilovers all the way around or Qa1 front and BC rear. Looks like a few have said the Rear coilover upgrade is BC that comes with 400lb springs.