Considering a Goblin - in North Carolina

baustin

Well, I'm new here and only recently ran across the Goblin but it might not be long till I jump in and build one for myself.

I'll go back and introduce myself:
I live in Youngsville, NC. I'm looking for something fun to drive occasionally, while I'd like to consider sport bikes, my wife and I both know I shouldn't allow myself to do that (when things go wrong, I'd be the crash structure). I've always liked the idea of a kit car but I'm not the biggest fan of Miata's or the cost of the V8 types out there. I tossed the idea of a kit car to my wife instead of a bike and she actually seemed ok with it, so my search began. Low cost, easy to build and maintain, good looking, probably donor based but preferably not the Miata, decently safe looking, good info available (company or builder based info), functionally would be a good weather driver to/from work or just for fun (like a sport bike would be for others). Not really thinking I'd be taking it to a track though VIR isn't all that far away from home.

So far the Goblin hits all the things I'm considering and then some. I'm leaning towards a track frame, extended, with all the bodywork/lights/etc. Donor would preferably be a Cobalt SS/SC. The idea of a supercharged, mid-engine, basically street legal go-kart for adults that I can build is very enticing to me (n/a instead of turbo if not supercharged).

Suggestions? Things to consider or avoid?

Thanks,
Benjamin

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Welcome! Extended track is the way to go if you don’t have a tight budget, you want the extra protection and you don’t mind the look. This also depends on your size.

SS/SC is nice cause you could always add a turbo later and get more HP than a stock SS/TC. Plus, initially the SC donor is usually cheaper than a TC. Also, who doesn’t like to hear that SC whine!?

Expenses will be more than you would expect. You’ll be ordering tools, tape, fluids, paint, lots of parts and thinking up ways to build this thing the best possible way you know how, if you are like most of us.

Good luck and don’t be afraid to ask questions! This forum is a great resource!

Last edited:

baustin

I should add that the past couple years I've been thinking of picking up a 05-06 MINI Cooper S but just can't sell myself on it being a good idea.

The extended version isn't as much for me sitting as it is for ability to carry something behind the seat if needed or other people that are taller. But I do sunburn easy so the track version having the possibility of holding something to shade me a bit would be worth it.

I looked up the Corbeau FX1 Pro seat and see they claim to fit waists up to 36", I'm close to the average American height/weight but with a smaller waist so if that dimension is true then they would fit me great and not be crammed in. Anyone able to confirm they fit 36" and smaller just fine?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I should add that the past couple years I've been thinking of picking up a 05-06 MINI Cooper S but just can't sell myself on it being a good idea.

The extended version isn't as much for me sitting as it is for ability to carry something behind the seat if needed or other people that are taller. But I do sunburn easy so the track version having the possibility of holding something to shade me a bit would be worth it.

I looked up the Corbeau FX1 Pro seat and see they claim to fit waists up to 36", I'm close to the average American height/weight but with a smaller waist so if that dimension is true then they would fit me great and not be crammed in. Anyone able to confirm they fit 36" and smaller just fine?
You should be fine in the FX1 Pro seat at 36". I'm a 38" and went with the wide version and fit but it could have actually been a bit tighter and your passengers (assuming they are smaller) will appreciate the more confident fit.

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like the DF is the car that checks off all of your requirements. It certainly is quite fun to drive, in fact, I'm thinking about taking mine out for a quick spin tonight just because.

The supercharged versions are becoming harder to find so have patients if that is what you are after. Start looking now and be ready to pull the trigger if you find one. They are out there, but you may have to look around and outside of your area. I have a habit of looking for them even though I don't need another one. So glad I have the one that I have now!

Good luck on getting started.

baustin

Good to know about the seat fit.

Something I haven't seen details of is the shipping for parts/frame. Obviously NC isn't just a short drive from Texas, but I've got a truck and 5x10 trailer. How would the parts get shipped? I'm up to driving to pick things up but 1200 miles each way is probably beyond that limit for me.

The option to have parts sent in stages is nice, but if shipping is minimally more for all at the same time vs a lot more for staged sets then I'd deal with all the parts at the same time.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
In some situations, multiple buyers have made arrangements to work together to send one truck/many kits to help save on freight. No promises you will have that opportunity.

I drove a hour to meet up with someone on their way through Missouri to pick up Stage 2. All they had to do was pull off the interstate and I met them there. Saved me a 20 hour round trip. Just a couple of days ago, about 5 kits were delivered to their owners from one truck.

Tim Moland

In some situations, multiple buyers have made arrangements to work together to send one truck/many kits to help save on freight. No promises you will have that opportunity.

I drove a hour to meet up with someone on their way through Missouri to pick up Stage 2. All they had to do was pull off the interstate and I met them there. Saved me a 20 hour round trip. Just a couple of days ago, about 5 kits were delivered to their owners from one truck.
One of those was mine!
20190413_111505.jpg

JERMzSS

You've found the right kit. Quit looking lol.

Here's a video of me autocrossing mine with my street tires. I added slicks this year so hopefully more videos to come.

baustin

Any thoughts on this possible donor car?
https://www.copart.com/lot/29272539

The front wheels aren't pointing the same direction: passenger is fairly straight and the drivers is turned left. I would assume that is a bend tie rod though it's possible the lower control arm could've been tweaked. Does this damage look like a likely issue or probably cheap to work around? Wheels and tires would be new for me so damage there wouldn't matter.

The listing says automatic but the picture sure looks to be a manual shifter, right?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru

The front wheels aren't pointing the same direction: passenger is fairly straight and the drivers is turned left. I would assume that is a bend tie rod though it's possible the lower control arm could've been tweaked. Does this damage look like a likely issue or probably cheap to work around? Wheels and tires would be new for me so damage there wouldn't matter.

The listing says automatic but the picture sure looks to be a manual shifter, right?
It’s a manual. All the 06 SS/SC are a manual. Looks like a great donor. The alignment is easily fixed, some of that won’t be used in the build anyway.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the DF Community. I met a few guys in TN to pickup my kit. This ended up saving in some cost even though the trip was 12 hours round trip from Raleigh. There are a few of us in North Carolina that have built the Goblin. Wes in Raleigh has a NA soon to be supercharged (if not already done). I have a LSJ SS/SC I am also outside Raleigh. The supercharger is 1FT behind your head right side, and left side is the CAI so its not quiet its amazing. The Goblin sound is a mixture of my previous Hayabusa and S2000. First gear is very short so hitting the rev limiter is a daily occurrence. The handling is much greater then an S2000 again similar to a bike/sports car. The acceleration is fairly intense not like a sports bike but close and more fun.

Build process has a bit challenges my main frustrations were pulling the radiator hoses but resolved after purchasing a cheap crank. The wiring was the next challenge it required going through the videos, and numerous other build threads. The info is even greater now we all should be able to answer your questions. I highly recommend going through my thread and others the community is one of the best parts of this experience.

Cost big items:
Kit - $11,500 + $600 travel
Powder Coating Top Coat Raleigh NC - $1500 all parts shipped were coated except fiberglass.
Wheels/Tires - $1400
Donor - $1000 picked up I won bid at $700 which is lucky. Expect to pay upwards for $2000 for the SS/SC.
Clutch/hubs/control arms - $500
Hood Paint - $600
Rear Hub Centric Spacers custom machined - $160

The above total is $17,260

Not bad huh? Ok now after all misc parts, registration, etc... plan for $22-25K completion cost. Plan for 200-300 hours build this was personally my favourite part the build is very fun much more rewarding then a bike or sports car.

If you want a ride just let me know. I plan to start auto crossing this summer.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru

Looks like a great donor my donor entire front end was smashed looked terrible this is the reason no one bid on it lucky for me it started right up.

Since the condition is so great plan for $2,500 final cost with fees I may be wrong but the popularity has picked up on these donors in the past year and so has cost. If it were me I would pull the trigger between $2000-$2200 its hard to find a low mileage car in that shape.

baustin

Thanks, all good info. I do wonder if I should go for a n/a build upfront and add the supercharger on later... But if I can get a good SS/SC donor for the right price, I'm not sure I could pass that up.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Thanks, all good info. I do wonder if I should go for a n/a build upfront and add the supercharger on later... But if I can get a good SS/SC donor for the right price, I'm not sure I could pass that up.
This will cost a lot more if you plan to upgrade to a charger later requiring re-wiring, PCM flash, heat exchanger, etc...If you can decide now what you want it will be worth the additional cost.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I agree with this. The ZZP kit is 750.00 plus the cost of a supercharger which is about 250 second hand. But, then you'd really need to work out the kinks. If you go forward with the SS/SC from the start you'll be already working with the heat exchanger stuff etc.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
This will cost a lot more if you plan to upgrade to a charger later requiring re-wiring, PCM flash, heat exchanger, etc...If you can decide now what you want it will be worth the additional cost.
I am on the other end on this. I paid $500 for my 2.2 N/A Donor. Sold enough parts to pay for the donor. I could not find a good SC or TC car for anywhere close to that. I have found complete SC setups on craigslist for 500 to 750. But I am thinking abut going turbo with mine I am looking for parts as I go along. I am not in a hurry I figure next winters project. I do not plan on having more than $1000 in adding a turbo. I did not include the cost of HP Tuners since I was getting it any way to clean up the fuel map on the 2.2 and remove some unneeded CEL's . Just my thoughts.