Converting to track frame

JERMzSS

Since I've put the A7s on my car this thing has quickly from fast to scary fast to some people (not me lol). Well those some people are family members of mine and they are wanting me to have a full cage/halo on it.

So I've been thinking about seeing if the DF guys and girls would sell me the bars I need to make mine a track frame. Since the "A pillar" part of the frame will no longer be a solid bar from the top to the bottom can it still be trusted if something unfortunate were to happen?

My father in law is an excellent welder so I have no doubts about the quality of the welds. I feel like it will still be very strong but I want to hear other opinions.

FB_IMG_1567355386247.jpg

Ross

Goblin Guru
You can weld a tube inside a tube at the joints where it joins the original frame. Plenty strong enough.
Still love your rock knobbies.

BAR-AIR

Good Evening,
Make it removable. Then your not messing up your powder coat. Plus you can take it off when the family is not looking....
Bruce
838F2EFD-50A4-4B53-8D71-AC92F58E88F7.jpeg
M
5B4A29B6-6F84-4111-97B2-7CC3F16A0451.jpeg

JERMzSS

I wouldn't mind a bolt in as long as I felt like it would be safe. How is it held to the frame under the windshield?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Bruce attached his similar to this: Google pics

I like the idea that Ross had if you want it secure. Slide a tube in the A pillar and weld it up. Did you paint or powder coat your chassis?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I always took on the stance that if I wrecked it bad enough to need that front cage...... Honestly unless your wearing a HANS your neck on the 5 point is a gonne anwyay :)

I'm always the optimist!

Nuker-

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Yeah and to go back to ground zero for me anyway....still a lot safer than the motorcycle.

The only thing I’d want a track frame for is an eventual full body kit. And let’s be honest there’s not much chance of that happening

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I'm just interested in passing the PA special inspection. Windshield frame or not, getting through a big accident in one piece is... an iffy proposition at best.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
If it were me, I'd sleeve the A pillars and gusset or triangulate the joint between the halo and the main hoop. And since I'd be welding on the cage anyway, I'd add a harness bar at the correct height.