Coolant flow diagram?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Ok so I spent the better part of yesterday evening just trying to figure out how the coolant flow works though the ecotec and ended up more confused than I was before. I thought most thermostats were on the hot side controlling flow out of the engine??

This is probably wrong but....My current understanding is the drivers side radiator hose is the cool side, from the radiator to the thermostat, which controls flow into the engine. Then the coolant flows through the engine and out the top passenger side hose into the top of the radiator.

I couldn't find and diagrams online or in my Haynes manual. Hoping the service manual has something?

I want to plumb my turbo soon and don't know which way is correct anymore.

BAR-AIR

It is reversed from what I thought. And this is just what I found with doing temperature reading on the radiator hoses. The water pump pushes hot radiator fluid out the passengers side (on the Goblin). And cool fluid returning from the radiator flows into the drivers side. Unless I got something reversed when I did the rebuild.

RichN

Mine seems to be just like Bruce's Goblin, hot out the passenger side to the radiator, cold going up to the driver side.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Seems like we have a consensus. Now I'm wondering if the heater core hose would work for cooling the turbo. I can't tell if it's pre or post thermostat.

DanPerryy

The hose on the right (passenger) side comes from the top of the head, HOT water. The left side returns cooled water from the radiator to the thermostat to the water pump and then into the engine block.

Matt TT

The hose on the right (passenger) side comes from the top of the head, HOT water. The left side returns cooled water from the radiator to the thermostat to the water pump and then into the engine block.

Could someone let me know if I'm backwards or not? I've got the cooled water (driver side) coming from the top of the radiator, and the passengers side, hot, is going into the bottom of it.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
There are several other threads that go into the details more than this one does. People run it either way.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
The thermostat is on the outlet (hot) side of the engine. It's function is to keep water in the engine until it is hot and then opens to allow water out to the radiator. The cold water from the radiator comes into the engine at the head, where you want the coldest water to keep your valves from burning up. This is the standard cooling plan for every engine since the flathead V-8 was built by Henry Ford. Reversing this would flow would make your cooling system inefficient - but it would still work.
99% sure this is not correct, but honestly it’s been a really long time since I looked at it. Thermostat controls the inflow of cooled coolant. Hot water flows out through the head.
BD270B0B-4D5F-4617-80F7-6B99A4A97CEA.png

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the thermostat is on the inlet driver side. So when it opens the cold water flows through the block and comes out the passenger side. I only say that because of how lines are routed to my oil cooler.

Didn't mean to be not picky. You are correct in that the hoses on the radiator can be either way. I have my preference as do all the others. Doesn't seem to matter either way. Ford or Chevy really.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
That’s also why I firmly believe the drivers side should be connected to the bottom of the radiator.

It’s cooler on the bottom. Also there will always be air pockets in the top of the radiator. You don’t want to be pulling in air from the top connection.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
This is also why it’s important to have a loop hose connected to the heater core lines. The pump is flowing water through the head while thermostat is closed. If you don’t have that loop the circuit around the thermostat is closed.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Is this from alldata helpful?

1. Install the oil cooler.

2. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Install the oil cooler bolts (4) and stud (3).
^ Tighten the bolts and stud to 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.).
3. Connect the oil cooler hoses (2).
4. Install the oil pressure sensor (1).
^ Tighten the sensor to 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.).
5. Fill the charged air cooling system.