ctuinstra's City Goblin - 07 SS/SC donor 2.0

DanPerryy

Awesome! For the hoses use a 600 pound winch $20 at tractor supply check out my build thread with your experience you could have them pulled in an hour. Lonnie and Adam are amazing at customer service and I am not surprised they are helping. They both have given me tips multiple times.
My hoses were VERY easy to get in, 2 people, one in the back pushing and keeping the hose wet as it entered the tube, the other up front pulling. Maybe 30 minutes for both sides.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Ours may have had some spray from powder coating or something in them. We have a good easy trick. Strap the frame to the truck and pull with the front-end loader. Easy and quick. Of course we will still lube them up good. It helps to have one long pull and not have to stop along the way. Hopefully the second time will be easier.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I would like to thank Brad at George's Imports (Shadow Lou Racing) for donating the uprights and steering arms/ball joints. Although our uprights were not apparently damaged, I feel safer replacing them. I don't know if they would have any stress cracks in them or any type of fatigue. When it comes to the steering, I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks Brad!

DSCN1180.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I planned to update more over the weekend but our internet was out for almost a week now. I have so many "internet" things to catch up on.

These pictures are NOT out of order. Typically you would see them in the reverse order. I worked through the week taking apart what I could to prepare for the weekend when Kaleb could come home.

The harness needs some work for the turn signals, fan, and a few other things in the front. The positive cable was pinched pretty good and I'm surprised it wasn't shorted out to the frame and really made a mess. That darned brake fluid got all over everything! The shifter plastic has white stains all over it and will not clean off. It really surprises me how bad it discolored or corroded everything it came in contact with.

DSCN1171.JPG
DSCN1172.JPG
DSCN1173.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Kaleb was home over the weekend and we made short work of removing the engine/drivetrain. It didn't take too long to prepare being. The coolant was even emptied before we even got the car home. I was needing to change the oil anyhow.

The engine still is skewed to the front on the passenger side even after unmounting the frame. I believe the rear solid mount must be bent, holding the engine in this position. I sure hope that is all it is. Looking down from the top and eye-balling the half shafts, the passenger side is in about 1" or so. I can't remove the solid mount until it's mounted up to the new frame since it's currently holding the engine to the subframe as one unit.

The blocks and dolly were just the perfect height. It come apart very nicely and rolled away very nice. Hopefully it will go back in as well. I have some cleaning to do to get off the gravel dust.

The alternator made contact with the fuel tank slightly, just enough to leave a witness spot but didn't come to rest there.

Frame is ready to head to Texas.

Ooo, I almost forgot, I'm working on a little surprise that I'm very excited about. As soon as it's complete in the next couple of day, I'll post about it. I can't wait....

DSCN1174.JPG
DSCN1175.JPG
DSCN1176.JPG
DSCN1177.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
We loaded up the old frame last weekend for my trip to Texas this week. I drove Kaleb's truck, the hand-me-down that has almost 300K miles on it. I wasn't to keen on taking it on 1200 mile journey by myself, but it had to be done. By the way, the frame fit very well in the back of this mid-size.

DSCN1187.JPG

1538173776574.png

DSCN1189.JPG

At home at last. Got in 10:00 Friday night. I can't thank Lonnie, Adam and the rest for all of their help! They are a pleasure to do business with. They spent a lot of time working with me to get all the right pieces, this isn't their typical order.

I worked feverishly all day making my mods to the frame so I could get it off the the powder coaters before they closed for the week. Kaleb need his truck back for school so I wanted to take advantage of having it. I welded tabs on for the license plate, removed the unused engine cover tabs, welded a ground lug on frame back by the engine, welded a tab for the fuel filter mount, and cut off the re-made the mount for the coolant tank so it works a bit better with the SC coolant tank.

Now to go through all of the parts and start prep and painting many items again.

DSCN1190.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I love this Eastwood Paint Prep stuff. I will eat away about anything. Just when you think you have a part clean, spray this on and wipe off and see what you missed (sorry, I didn't include an example).

DSCN1192.JPG

Painted up many of the pieces this weekend. I used the Eastwood Chassis Black. I didn't like the sheen the first time I tried it on the first build, then then it started to grow on me and it lays down such a nice coat. This stuff is more expensive than the cheap Rustoleum crap but it doesn't clog up as bad and had a much better spray pattern. The lighting makes it look glossier than it really is. It's a satin finish.

DSCN1193.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Also between the coats of painting, I stayed busy by working on a project for the local scarefest. My daughter, with some of her friends, and I are all actors this year at a local Halloween haunted field. They have about 100-150 actors in many different roles. It's a huge project, they start building months in advance.

This is my contribution. It's a air vortex cannon. It shoots a vortex ring at people. You can aim it up/down and left/right. Once it's manually cocked, it can be released using a key fob remote. It's a very weird experience to be hit by it.

DSCN1194.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Nevermind the Goblin, that cannon is cool. :) I think it could be interesting to add some Halloween smells inside there and deliver them with each shot.
What exactly is a Halloween smell? I love the idea but all I can think of is pumpkin spice or something. Somehow that smell doesn’t seem very frightening.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Got a little something in the mail today. Something to keep me looking forward. I can't wait to try these on!

DSCN1197.JPG

I already have the springs from DF. They are off being powder coated. Just the look of these things make them worth the money.