ctuinstra's City Goblin - 07 SS/SC donor 2.0

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
What did you use for mounting the two gauge pod to the steering column? I have a similar mount bracket, but I ended up screwing my bracket to the hood. I wish I wouldn't have done that now because it makes removing the hood a bit harder now.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
We mounted it to the column tube using a 3D printed standoff. It's about 3/4" tall and matches the arc of the column and has two holes in it that align with the bracket.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
It's been a while since I updated our build. Things have been relatively slow going since it's winter. It's mostly done, just working on a few mods and Stage 3 items.

Installed the seats. I REALLY like the new seats! I love being able to recline a little for just a bit more gut room. Since the other seats were of the wide version, I had plenty of butt room but they just barely fit in the car and would contact the shifter if moved all the way forward. Still very useable, but I didn't have to have them as wide and Kaleb certainly didn't need them that wide. He didn't like how wide they were, he said they were too loose on him. These fit us both well. The only down side will be in the hot sun, the material might make for a skin-sticking good time! They will clean easier of the bugs but may be hot.

DSCN0102.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Also working on a custom mount for the push-to-start button. This will take the place of the original key unit. It will bolt up to the existing frame-mounted tab. It also has a hole for another lighted push button that matches the others that will be for the garage door opener. I will mount the PCB from a garage door open to the underneath side of this mount and wire it to the power of the car (no battery). It will be like having my own HomeLink button on the car. Since we park it in the lower garage, this comes in very handy!

The top arc matches that of the tube frame. The lower arc is for knee clearance. Thanks Kaleb!

1549743647646.png

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Worked on the PTSS (Push To Start System) today a bit. Mounted up the garage door opener and the relay board. We are going to trim out the face with a small piece of carbon fiber (not seen here). I printed up much more solid that I thought it might. Pretty happy with it. Sure it's not machined billet aluminum or something or 100% carbon fiber, but it's functional. We can always come up with something better down the road.

DSCN0105.JPG
DSCN0106.JPG

Ross

Goblin Guru
Worked on the PTSS (Push To Start System) today a bit. Mounted up the garage door opener and the relay board. We are going to trim out the face with a small piece of carbon fiber (not seen here). I printed up much more solid that I thought it might. Pretty happy with it. Sure it's not machined billet aluminum or something or 100% carbon fiber, but it's functional. We can always come up with something better down the road.
It is light weight and functional, better than billet! Nicely done.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Don't the garage door remotes operate off about 3V or so? Magic smoke might pour out if you wire it up directly to your battery.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Don't the garage door remotes operate off about 3V or so? Magic smoke might pour out if you wire it up directly to your battery.
Yes, yes they do. It just so happens this is one of the old original remotes to the doors and it used a small 12 battery (they were a pain to find and replace as you didn't just have those in your drawer). Otherwise, I do have a newer remote and thought about using it with a voltage regulator or something, but it was just easier to find use for the older version.

terryjr

once you go 3D printer, ideas just start popping up. Learning how to use Fusion 360 or any other free CAD program really seals the deal

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Finished up the push to start system today. I had to unwrap part of the harness to wire it up and then re-wrap it. Oddly, that was the part that I was not looking forward to doing.

Kaleb brought a piece of carbon fiber back from school that they make parts such as intakes for the Formula SAE car club. I used it to trim out the small dash housing the button. The smaller button (currently not lit up) is for the garage door opener.

Pretty happy with the way it works and how it turned out.

DSCN0110.JPG
DSCN0112.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
While working on the car today, I was surprised with what is going on with the clutch hose. I thought for sure this is the hose DF supplied, but I could be wrong. The brake fluid is actually permeating the hose! This is not condensation, it's brake fluid. I'm on the hunt for something better.
DSCN0109.JPG

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We use the original clutch master cylinder hose from the donor. We cut it in half and lengthen it with the black nylon 12 hose that is supplied with the kit and two hose clamps.