ctuinstra's City Goblin - 07 SS/SC donor **Licensed**

KJP

Seeing everyone's brightly colored frames makes me want to go with a crazy color! This looks great!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Got a bit more done yesterday. Many of the interior and driver components are in. As expected with any kit, there are little issues here and there to work through. The pedal box just did not line up with the bolt holes. If we lined up the two in the front on the bracket, the top tube didn't line up, it was 1/2" out. Not sure if there is difference in the years of the car or what. I ended up using the aluminum slug from the radiator hose pull to modify the mount. It seemed to work quite well. The only issue I can see is that it will rotate the pedal box down in the rear a bit. We will have to see if that causes other issues.

DSCN1011.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The throttle pedal wouldn't not bolt up because of the bulkhead was in the way. A little bending and coaxing and we were able to mount it.

DSCN1009.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Now on to cleaning up the wiring. Like many others, I just couldn't bring myself to cutting and splicing the wires until they were routed in the car. I will probably spend a lot of time on cleaning up and looming the wiring. I know I will be modifying things along the way such as running wires for aux lights, power ports, and an additional gauge and button pod. I just hope it doesn't slow me down too much.

Kaleb has been very excited about working on it. He asked about every night if we are going to. This past week, we accomplished at least something almost every night. It may only be for an hour, but making an impact.

DSCN1013.JPG

DSCN1014.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I just realized that I have been doing a terrible job of keeping up to date with my build. I've been working on it at least a few minutes each night in some form or another. It won't be long and we will hopefully have the engine started and the wheels on the ground. Speaking of wheels, I still need to order them.

I think I'm going to try these tires. I have experience with them in the off-road and like them. They seem affordable for a track-type tire. Free shipping on a set of four!

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-513-107-victra-vr-1

Capture.PNG

Also during the stripping of the donor, I found this little item and tossed it in a box to figure it out later. My guess were right as it's some type of Goldstar GPS locating device. Interesting, I wonder if they will ever find the car.

IMG_3499.JPG

I promise to provide some more photos of the build.

Also have a little dash project we are working on that is coming out nicely. A few more changes need to be made but I'm really excited about it. Can't wait to show everyone.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Working on the dash wiring for buttons for the Info/Enter, cruise, fog lamps, hazards, etc. I reused the circuit board in the steering wheel instead of having to find the resistors and I know this will work. Kaleb is working on making a small box to house it in that will probably fill with silicone once it done and tested.

The final color won't be blue, that's just the prototype (and it's easier to see in the photo).

IMG_3501.JPG

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Careful with your potting material. I hear the type of silicone that releases acetic acid (vinegar) while it cures can destroy solder joints.

Something to consider for the long term. Hot glue is another option.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Careful with your potting material. I hear the type of silicone that releases acetic acid (vinegar) while it cures can destroy solder joints.

Something to consider for the long term. Hot glue is another option.
Easy enough. Hot glue it is! Thanks!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
SHE LIVES!

Today was the day for the first start. We didn't attempt to start it weeks ago when would have liked to since we didn't have the valve cover yet. I was hoping that there were no major issues after trying to start it since we did some much more work. Did have two quick little issues. One, I didn't tighten down one of the fittings on the gas line. Sprayed gas everywhere and a bit dangerous. All the while keeping in mind my neighbors house just caught fire last week due to a gas vapor issue. Once that was tightened up, she quickly built up to 70lbs of pressure. Second, it wouldn't fire off after 5-10 seconds of cranking. A quick inspection and I happened to remember that the ignition coils are wired up using the EXACT same connector as the headlight harness! Apparently I was trying to light off the headlights instead of the spark plugs. I switched them around and this was the result....

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I love looking at all of your all pictures and your builds! And I've been terrible about posting pictures of my own. I have been taking them along the way but just not posting anything. So I finally sat down tonight to post up some. Sorry for so many at one time and some are a bit redundant and out of order.

DSCN1038.JPG
DSCN1039.JPG
DSCN1040.JPG
DSCN1041.JPG
DSCN1042.JPG
DSCN1043.JPG