ctuinstra's City Goblin - 07 SS/SC donor **Licensed**

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Today Kaleb and I worked on mounting the side body panels. We drilled the holes using the panel holes as a template. Everything went pretty well. We used silicon before we pinched the rivets. I noticed a spot or two that I thought could use another rivet just to tidy things up a bit. So I drilled a couple of new holes and put the extra rivets in them. Then I moved down to the lower tube to put a couple in there just to hold things a bit tighter. And just as I put the drill bit up to it....I stopped. Any guessed to why I decided not to put rivets in the lower tubes? :oops:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Today Kaleb and I worked on mounting the side body panels. We drilled the holes using the panel holes as a template. Everything went pretty well. We used silicon before we pinched the rivets. I noticed a spot or two that I thought could use another rivet just to tidy things up a bit. So I drilled a couple of new holes and put the extra rivets in them. Then I moved down to the lower tube to put a couple in there just to hold things a bit tighter. And just as I put the drill bit up to it....I stopped. Any guessed to why I decided not to put rivets in the lower tubes? :oops:
That could of been a bad move! Glad you thought about it.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Because that is a rather poor spot to bleed air from the coolant system?

DanPerryy

My first installation of side panels I put extra rivets in also - RTV, upper tube only but it turned out it made my side panels wavey - I got another set and now will just use the attachment points. Did yours stay straight?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
My first installation of side panels I put extra rivets in also - RTV, upper tube only but it turned out it made my side panels wavey - I got another set and now will just use the attachment points. Did yours stay straight?
For the most part, yes. The first side, the passenger side, oddly turned out better than the second side. What tripped us up the most was the one pre-drilled holes for the roll bar tube was right at the weld and not the tube. This was the same for both sides. On the driver side, broke a brand new bit trying to mis the inner side wall of the roll bar, had to drill in at an angle.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
This is duplicated from the Arkansas Trip thread, but I wanted to add it to my build thread.

This car show was an impromptu event for Kaleb and I. I found out about it after meeting a very nice gentleman back at the hotel parking lot the night before. He worked next door and seen our car in the parking lot and had to stop by to see it. He drove up in VERY NICE and PRISTINE Ford Cobra kit car that he and his dad started years ago (his dad sadly passed before the car was finished). Chad is his name and he was very interested in Goblin and you might even see him on here in the future. He invited us to attend the fund-raiser event to support the local food bank.

So Kaleb and I rode with the group this morning but detoured around lunch time to head back to town for the car show. We arrived as car number 99 out of 105. The Goblin got lots of attention and the questions flowed for the next hour or two. And very surprising and very honored, we were selected as the top choice pick for First Security Bank (a sponsor of the event). This was one of only four awards given and the only for First Security Bank. We were certainly not expecting to enter a car show (with a car not even wrapped yet) and win!

Kaleb receiving the award from one of the volunteers.

IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_3688.JPG
IMG_3689.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
We opted to ditch the standard headlamps for something a bit different. We struggled with coming up with something that we really liked and was yet still affordable. We already had a set of Rigid Industry Dually LED lamps that we had on the ATV and really, really loved them! So we moved them over to the car and added an additional set. The inner low beams are a flood pattern and the outer high beams are a spot pattern. I used the leftover square stock from mounting the heat exchanger to make a mount for the pair. I cut the stock with my mitre saw and drilled them with the drill press and brand new bits. It's a pleasure to work with good tools, it really helped it come out nice. The layers pieces are drilled and have press pins inserted to hold them together and keep them from moving. Kaleb wired up both the lamps. We will have to align them when it dark out.

I know the your burning question, do they meet the DOT requirements? Anymore does anything really meet the DOT requirements? I am so sick of these new pickup trucks with $^&# LED lamps pulling up behind me on the highway and completely blinding me in my little car. They are no less of a hazard then these! These really aren't that obnoxious when aimed properly and this low to the ground. End of rant.

DSCN1158.JPG
DSCN1159.JPG
DSCN1160.JPG
DSCN1163.JPG
DSCN1164.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I also might have found the reason for the uncontrollable throttle response. The Retard vs. % of Torque Reduction has been zeroed out. So in other words, there is no Torque Reduction available at all. There is another table that shows when there should be.

This is my current table:

1528847941039.png

And this is the sample file table from a 2006 Cobalt SS:

1528847916499.png

I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert on this, but I am learning. And I could very well be wrong about this.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Might be a good idea to go back to the stock tune and go from there.
Wish I had one. The PO had sent it off to ZZP and they put a tune on it. I can compare my tune to the sample file and much of it is the exact same. This was one area that was completely zeroed out and I can see that it has been set up for 60lb injectors (which I do have). So I feel that it's not really messed up or anything. There is a little bit of timing adjustments.

Anyone have a stock SS/SC tune by chance that I can use to compare?

George

Goblin Guru
I believe there is a GM stage 2 in my computer at work I could send to your email tomorrow and a couple of changes to mine.

Brad

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Now if I can just get the dang credits to work. I bought two for this car and it shows in my account on their website, but the unit still says 0 available. Ugh. And I'm out of town starting tomorrow for the rest of the week.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Wish I had one. The PO had sent it off to ZZP and they put a tune on it. I can compare my tune to the sample file and much of it is the exact same. This was one area that was completely zeroed out and I can see that it has been set up for 60lb injectors (which I do have). So I feel that it's not really messed up or anything. There is a little bit of timing adjustments.

Anyone have a stock SS/SC tune by chance that I can use to compare?
Adam will have one I believe. And if not zzp will.

But right off the bat I recommend you pay zzp for the remote tune. They’ll work with you to get it running right. Took forever for me but holy **** it was the best $200 I spent on the whole project.