Cup Holder

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
While everyone else is working simple projects such as fitting an F40 transmission in a Goblin, we are hard at it tackling the really difficult solutions like a cup holder!

Even cut out thin rubber cushions for the bottom to cover the mounting screw holes. It has stand-offs to mount over top of the shifter cables.

Cute, huh?

DSCN0145.JPG
DSCN0146.JPG
DSCN0147.JPG

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Wow. And I thought my single magnetic cup holder for my morning coffee that I don't need right now was good.

lksohm

What CAD software do you use for designing? I'm hoping they keep letting people use Fusion 360 for free for hobbyists.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Thanks, Chad.

Lksohm, if you have an association with a school (kids, volunteering, etc) you can get your own free educational licenses from Autodesk for most of their products. Check out students.autodesk.com

lksohm

I took classes on most of the CAD softwares out there when I was in college but that has been almost a decade ago. I did prefer Autodesk Inventor, but use Solidworks at my job now.
For my personal projects I use Fusion 360 which is very similar to Solidworks or Inventor. It is an Autodesk product that is free to anyone who is making less than $100,000/year from a business if I remember right.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Cobalt part:

Goblin part:

Since my tranny cables go back, I put it in front of the shifter,
but most Goblins could put it behind the shifter.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
The 2nd & 3rd gen Saturns have nice compact cupholder assemblies (single & dual) as well. The LS versions even come with factory lighting.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
We need the Saab folks to reopen the company and design us some spaceage cup holders their cars are known for.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
how are you mounting your phone?
I used an attachment I use on my motorcycles.

It does hold it nice and secure, but hard to see the bottom of the phone due to the steering wheel blocking the view. I’m not 100% if I’m going to keep it there, but considering our space limitations, it’s probably the best option/location.

It has its own USB port, so I use a 6” cord to keep the phone charged, so I don’t have 5’ of cord everywhere.

If you look at the picture in the link, I used the “mirror mount” on the right and attached it to the bottom left cluster bolt.