David's Track ,street goblin - 08 SS/TC in NJ

David

So I have a quick question for the guys that want a little crazy on cleaning and Prepping the engine to be painted so that's my next step how did you guys close all the ports so you can power wash engine so then you can go at it with the wire wheel I have a little of ocd so I want engine to be pretty clean before I paint
1508372983783345500635.jpg
15083730204031807181653.jpg

Because my thought was to use painters tape or Gorilla tape but I think the power washer would take the tape off even if I don't point at it any idea's

BAR-AIR

IMG_1150.JPG

Just took the old gaskets and used them for templates and made a couple of plywood block off plates. Worked out really well. These are just the two for the intake and exhaust manifolds.

David

View attachment 2093
Just took the old gaskets and used them for templates and made a couple of plywood block off plates. Worked out really well. These are just the two for the intake and exhaust manifolds.
Great idea for both manifolds but how about the any other port like the fuel injector,or turbo oil feed?

I was thinking in maybe like some silicone plugs like the ones you use for powder coating

dperkins

Great idea for both manifolds but how about the any other port like the fuel injector,or turbo oil feed?

I was thinking in maybe like some silicone plugs like the ones you use for powder coating
What I did was take small bits of paper, wad them into whatever needed to be covered (plugs, intakes, exhausts, fuel lines, etc, and then I covered that in painters tape. When I took it off after about 4 cycles of engine stripper/heavy duty degreaser and water, everything was dry.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I had pressure washed mine before I really stripped it down so much of it was covered already. Mine wasn't really too greasy, it just had a lot of corrosion on it. I spent hours with a die grinder with a wire brush wheel on it hitting everything I could. You can't get into the deepest cracks and crevasses. I taped everything with blue painters tape and it worked really well.

Before paining I washed it all with copious amounts of Eastwoods Paint Prep. I bought a quart of it and used the spray gun to wash it down while brushing it in and rinsing it off. The painter tape held up well even with the cleaner. I plugged the threaded holes with pieces of protection foam (not styrofoam), although that was kind of a waste of time because I chased every hole afterwards with a tap just to clean them up.

David

So a little quick update I walnut blasted my intake valves and that carbon was really on there it took me 3 hrs to get them nice and spotless but it is worth it the picture does not make it show how really clean they are, now I have to see how to clean the engine to prep for paint not sure what color I'm between red or blue for the frame which I would paint valve cover same color
20171009_204007.jpg
20171021_104634.jpg

David

So a quick update on my progress I been cleaning engine for 3 days it's almost ready for paint just a little more elbow grease and paint time what sucks is after that I have to do the same for the trans
20171025_205626.jpg
20171025_205607.jpg