Daylight Optical Sensor Needed??

askiles

Goblin Guru
Is the daylight optical sensor actually needed?? Say I cut it out...what’s going to happen? Will it think it’s always light or always dark?? Either way, I can manually turn the lights on and off, right? Asking for a friend...lol. Thanks!

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I find it to be handy. The driver info display is hard to read in daylight with the headlights on. And I'm too lazy to manually turn the lights off.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I just cut mine out. With it removed he dash defaults to bright and headlights on so it made sense for me to remove it. Also I want my headlights on all the time anyway.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I just cut mine out. With it removed he dash defaults to bright and headlights on so it made sense for me to remove it. Also I want my headlights on all the time anyway.
Yeah I agree. Instant daytime running lights. Lol

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I find it to be handy. The driver info display is hard to read in daylight with the headlights on. And I'm too lazy to manually turn the lights off.
Every vehicle I have owned for the last 15 years had automatic lights. My girlfriends car does not have auto lights. I constantly leave the lights on or don't turn them on at all. So for that reason I left it in my car. I printed a bracket to mount it off the instrument cluster.

While on the subject if someone has one of the sensors that they are not using. I want to modify one to see if I can delay the lights from coming on before needed with a clearer lens than the stock smoked one.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
It could use some refinement but it works. I do not have a picture of it installed. I will get one. I removed the upper left spacer on the gauge cluster and bolted it in it's place.
View attachment 8292
Here is the sensor and bracket installed in the car. I could shorten it some both ways for a better fit. I still want to try making a clear lens on one to see if I can delay the activation.
20190427_080912.jpg
20190427_080924.jpg

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Every vehicle I have owned for the last 15 years had automatic lights. My girlfriends car does not have auto lights. I constantly leave the lights on or don't turn them on at all. So for that reason I left it in my car. I printed a bracket to mount it off the instrument cluster.

While on the subject if someone has one of the sensors that they are not using. I want to modify one to see if I can delay the lights from coming on before needed with a clearer lens than the stock smoked one.
The lights still turn off when the key is turned off with sensor removed.

I’m 99% sure I have a brand new one. PM me your address