DCMoney's Extended Street Goblin - 06 SS SC - #111 Registered

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
HP Tuners came in yesterday, downloaded the map. I've use power commanders and other tuners for bikes but wow there's a lot of things you can do with HP tuners. Was nice to turn off the EVAP bs and not have a check engine light on any longer.

Modified the torque management table to try to make the throttle more manageable in 1st gear. Feels a little better but still jerky. Logged a run up and down the road. noticed there isn't any data for TPS only accelerator pedal position. Is this right?

Any good info on tuning with HP tuners available, books, threads etc?

Scanner Snip.PNG

askiles

Goblin Guru
The HP Tuners Forums and FAQ are all good too. If you look on the HP Tuners site, there is a whole guide on tuning GM I-4 vehicles. They go over all of the parameters and what they do exactly. It is a pretty informative guide.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
DC, I think the TPS must be run its 'learn mode' for it to work after going through the trauma of the donor teardown, being off for months , and coming back to life in a new environment. Kinda like replacing the battery in your car, takes awhile to relearn what it is doing to start posting codes correctly, I believe.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I think with HP Tuners not really being vehicle specific, there are a lot of data points in the software that may or may not have a corresponding data point within a particular models OBD-II system.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I think with HP Tuners not really being vehicle specific, there are a lot of data points in the software that may or may not have a corresponding data point within a particular models OBD-II system.
I was reading about getting the config file set up for specific vehicles to find the important/relevant info you need to monitor. I used Pro/E for a few years (worst CAD software ever) and it was all about the config file.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I've watched a dozen or more videos from Goat Rope Garage.
He seems to know a lot about it.
Probably other good channels I haven't discovered yet too.
Watched a few of his videos last night, they seem pretty good, surprised how new his channel and videos are. Some of the other channel videos I watch only give you snippets of the video then want you to buy their "classes", which is funny because Goat Ropes first video I watched said don't pay for that stuff.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I'm glad I found his channel, as I was considering paying for more info. He has lots, and I am learning like crazy!
I'm curious how many "tuners" we have here... I think only 4 or 5. It is a lot to learn, but he breaks it down and makes it seem not too bad.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Few updates since last post. Inspection is on the 20th of this month.

Finally got the crank pulley torqued down +70 degrees, realized Friday afternoon I needed an easy way to hold the pulley. Found a pic of one online and the OD, scaled it over sized the holes slightly so I could be off on the placement but still able to get a bolt on it. Hand made long enough in hopes of making contact with the sub frame or similar to hold it while I was torquing.

Got home and to my pleasant surprise it was perfect. handle made contact with the control arm holding it while I was torquing.

All lights, turn signals, etc are mounted and wired up.

Head lights are temporary for inspection.

Made a mounting plate for the mirror, cut the threads down after test fitting.

Hoping another member sells his plug in play emulator for all the warning lights that cant be turned off so in the meantime I covered the lights.

Worked on my button panel for horn, hazard, info and return, figured with the room might as well put the boost gauge in there too. Turned out nice. Will powder coat it eventually.

Seats and factory seat belts are bolted in for the inspection. Once the inspection is over ill swap over to the 4 point harnesses.

Still playing with the throttle control, like I posted in another thread I tried adding a spring to the pedal, it did help but going to try a gas shock as well.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Haven't updated in a while.

State inspection was on August 22nd, passed, went to state capital on the 23rd and hand delivered all paperwork, paid taxes etc. Got my VIN # while I was there so I was able to get insurance quotes.

Next step was waiting on the state to make the VIN plate and send it to the inspection station, that was delivered September 11th, installed September 12th. The inspection state sends in a final form saying the VIN plate was installed and its ok to issue a title.

Final step in the registration process is wait for the title to be mailed out then I can go to the DMV and get plates.

In the meantime, did a 2 step powder coat on my button panel, came out ok. Should have taken the vinyl off sooner in the baking process.

Removed the inspection seat belts and put my 4pt harnesses in. These are inexpensive and are so much easier to adjust and get in and out of vs my harnesses in my RZR.

Removed the inspection headlights and mounted my lower profile ones.

Made toe plates at work and did my alignment this past weekend.

Trimmed my front fender to fit over the 205 tire, not happy with how far it sits away from the wheel at its lowest mounting position. Noticed the weld was making contact with the bracket it bolts to, ground away until it cleared. Still not as close to the wheel as id like, will be a winter project to see what I can come up with. Sucks that these were already powder coated. Found out I got the rear fender mounts for the stock rear shocks, my fault for not telling them I was going to go with the BC coil overs. Last email from Adam was 8/28, I sent my last email on 9/6 to Adam and Lonnie asking to purchase a set for the BC coil overs.

Got my snow camo vinyl and tested it on my panels, really happy with the resolution of the pattern. Still making revisions to the 2 middle panels to make it fit better. Applied a carbon fiber vinyl to the back side of the panels so thats what you'll see while in the car.

Lastly, almost as exciting as a finished Goblin, got a new toy at work, going to make some sweet parts with this laser.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Trimmed my front fender to fit over the 205 tire, not happy with how far it sits away from the wheel at its lowest mounting position. Noticed the weld was making contact with the bracket it bolts to, ground away until it cleared. Still not as close to the wheel as id like, will be a winter project to see what I can come up with. Sucks that these were already powder coated. Found out I got the rear fender mounts for the stock rear shocks, my fault for not telling them I was going to go with the BC coil overs. Last email from Adam was 8/28, I sent my last email on 9/6 to Adam and Lonnie asking to purchase a set for the BC coil overs.

I had the same issue with front fenders. I did a few different things on mine.

1. I switched to rear fenders in the front also.
2. I cut the factory brackets up for the front did some fabricating and used the coilover rear fender bracket to mount them.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I had the same issue with front fenders. I did a few different things on mine.

1. I switched to rear fenders in the front also.
2. I cut the factory brackets up for the front did some fabricating and used the coilover rear fender bracket to mount them.
Thanks, went back and looked at your build log and how you did the fronts. Will have to explore something like that.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
What are your thoughts oh the new headlights? Do they throw enough light for night driving or are they there more or less for show?

Are you still thinking about individual panels for the hood as well?

After looking through your build its apparent I need a soda blaster and a powdercoating oven. Love the details, keep it up!

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
What are your thoughts oh the new headlights? Do they throw enough light for night driving or are they there more or less for show?

Are you still thinking about individual panels for the hood as well?

After looking through your build its apparent I need a soda blaster and a powdercoating oven. Love the details, keep it up!
At the moment they are more for show, the beam is pretty tight, I haven't adjusted them up or down and haven't tried them outside in the dark. Ill take a few more pics when its dark out. In the pic you can see the hot spot from the LED, vs the garbage light I put on there for inspection. They do offer that same light in more of a flood pattern, if it doesn't provide enough light ill switch them out. These lights were really inexpensive, 4D is the spot option I went with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU0JH5P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Had work order my tubing for the hood this morning. Hoping to start on it this weekend but I'm not planning on killing myself to get it done ASAP. Still doing the individual panels inside the hood. Similar to whats pictured below.

Appreciate the compliments, I spent so much time prepping, powder coating and painting. I summed up all my hours just in April, May, June and July, over 334 hours total, June and July had 114 and 116 hours alone. In total I probably have over 420 hours from start of donor tear down through today.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Don't recommend the headlights I have on there, they are super focused and make driving at night hard. Going to keep them on and run them as running lights though. Bought a Baja Designs Onx6+ 10" light bar and made a mount to put it in the center toward the top of the radiator. Will disappear really well with my hood design. Haven't finished the mount yet, was checking clearance and bolt hole spacing. Will get a few flanges to stiffen it up and keep it from bouncing while going down the road.

Small Pod lights

Lightbar

Goblin is fully registered and licensed, have roughly 500 miles on it so far. Been averaging just under 21mpg, with the way I've been driving it iI'm pleasantly surprised at that number. Took it out to some of my favorite back roads last weekend, car feels really good. Rear end suspension needs some tweaking, would like a little body roll going through corners and its so flat right now its hard to tell when the rear is going to break traction. Don't know enough about suspension, lot of time this winter to learn.

Have a long list of winter projects for this thing.