Desert Sasqwatch #155 Track (mods) - 08 SS/TC crate LNF F40

Motoracer110

Don't laugh, but I have been keeping a log of parts with manufacturers, part numbers and costs, and my grand total to date is already north of $22K and I don't have my kit yet. All of those shiny new parts are just too hard to resist...;) The boss at home has let me know about it in more way than one and now with a rebuild on the Jeep setting me back about $3200 she is not a happy camper. Oh well, there goes the happy wife/happy life out the window for a while. :(
I believe it! You are building an amazing goblin. I think I’m about 15k deep and still have another 1k before I’m completely finished, then I’ll probably upgrade things for more $. I was in the boat of waiting a year to be able to finish mine and didn’t want to wait so I pulled a loan to get stage 2 and 3 and get this done. Smart? Absolutely not, but worth it? Absolutely! :cool:

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Yeah, I keep wanting to persuade my wife to be ok with a 15-21 month 0% credit card offer but we're both of the mindset that our positive cash flow overrides my goblin finish time.

I've only bought my donor so far, and am about to make the first purchase to buy every engine seal I can find to refresh the whole thing up. These things add up when you buy from GM, so I'm trying to source everything from various places as much as I can.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
My last project was a destroyed '78 Ranchero, gutted, stripped, shortened, roll caged and over powered. Thought I could do it for $4000. Wound up somewhere around $13,000. Everyone says I could have done a side by side, but not a 120 mph side by side, that you can turn sidways at 80 mph on the dry lake. These things can definately soak up the funds.

Vegas Roy

After a few years of my wife saying absolutely NO to a camper, I decided to build another dune buggy. I have 3 already. This time it is with a DF chassis (AT chassis). Got the donor, paid for, delivered, stripped, etc. The kit was ordered, completed, paid for and being picked up TODAY. She decided to go out and buy a Shasta camper. It belonged to a friend and is like new. I already have a toy hauler / camper that I built with solar. Oh well, who am I to argue.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Toys cost money and, depending upon how much you can get away with, will depend upon how much time you get to spend in the doghouse! It's sometimes better to ask for forgiveness that to ask for permission...;) And when you live with an accountant who watches the money like a hawk, asking for forgiveness is all I got!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Good news! Adam contacted me today and it looks like my kit will be delivered on the 22nd or 23rd this month. This date could slide out, depending upon the availability of the shipper schedule. My kit will be delivered on the same shipper/trailer with Torchandregdoc and Grantcropper kits. We are all looking forward to this and it sure seems like a long time coming since I ordered my kit on May 1st.

I have spot cleared in the 2nd garage to store the kit and parts until I get my Jeep back on the road. Anyone looking for a good Jeep 4.0 engine for rebuild?

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Is ~17ish weeks from order to delivery typical as of late? The site says 4-6 weeks from order to stage 1 delivery and I've based my timeline off that in regard when to put my deposit down vs when I can expect to get stage 1.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Mayor, the delivery of my kit has been delayed waiting on the other 2 kits to be completed that my kit will be shipping with. Otherwise I likely could have picked it up 2-3 weeks ago from DF in Red Oak. I hope your kit gets built soon and you can take delivery in a timely fashion.

Motoracer110

I'm in no hurry to get the kit, I probably won't even order until mid 2020. I was just wondering.
Mayor I had ordered my kit just before desert did and was kept within the 4-6 week mark so all will be good. They did just hire more employees as well to meet demand so I figure they will be cutting down on wait times soon. Neat to see a companys success and grow in front of you

Vegas Roy

I just checked my order to delivery and it was exactly 6 weeks. When I stopped by their shop, they were interviewing welders. I also enjoy watching this business grow. I have a small business and can relate. I think DF will continue to grow unless DMV's from different states start rejecting titles and limiting who can and can not build kit cars, as Texas tried. I live in Virginia and heard they were trying now.

BigWaveDave

DS, mind me asking what shipping cost is from DF shop to you? I'm in Goodyear. Would like to come see your build once you get it from DF

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
DS, mind me asking what shipping cost is from DF shop to you? I'm in Goodyear. Would like to come see your build once you get it from DF
I've been quoted $550, but I have not yet received the invoice. With at least 3 days of time to travel there and back, with food, hotel, gas, trailer rental (if you don't have a truck like me), the $550 is a bargin for me.

Where in Goodyear are you located. I'm in Laveen and have not seen anything on the forum from you since I joined in Feb. it is good to have another AZ family member. Do you have a donor?

BigWaveDave

Where in Goodyear are you located. I'm in Laveen and have not seen anything on the forum from you since I joined in Feb. it is good to have another AZ family member. Do you have a donor?
I'm near Indian School & the 303. No donor yet. I've been lurking on this forum for about 3 years. I've built a FFR Cobra, so I'm not a stranger to kit cars and the donor concept. Like you, I have a Secretary of War & Finance, so there's that t deal with. Currently have a 32 Ford 5 window coupe. Will have to,liquidate it to do the Goblin, but that's ok, i wanna build one and bang some gears again

I'm going to be out of PHX till 9/19. I'll DM you once I'm back.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I'm near Indian School & the 303. No donor yet. I've been lurking on this forum for about 3 years. I've built a FFR Cobra, so I'm not a stranger to kit cars and the donor concept. Like you, I have a Secretary of War & Finance, so there's that t deal with. Currently have a 32 Ford 5 window coupe. Will have to,liquidate it to do the Goblin, but that's ok, i wanna build one and bang some gears again

I'm going to be out of PHX till 9/19. I'll DM you once I'm back.
I also built a FFR MKIV, and the Goblin was a much more fun build. Easier. Much more fulfilling. More fun to drive.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
IT'S HERE! My kit arrived late this afternoon in Phoenx from Red Oak. In the delivery photo are my frame (back of the trailer), Grant's (Grantcropper) frame in the front of the trailer, and Jim's (Torchandregdoc) frame in the back of the truck. They are in Las Vegas and will take delivery tomorrow, YEA!!! :D

Got everything stowed away in the garage rather quickly, is 111 degrees outside today - daily record for this date in Phoenix. Need to get everything arranged and inventoried to be sure I received everything in the boxes. Frame looks great! Still have the Jeep motor replacement to complete before I can even think about turning a wrench on the Goblin. :confused: Oh well, not in a hurry, want to do my Goblin right!

Edit: kudos to Adam and Lonny for the great experience and outstanding communication they have provided during the process of ordering, building and delivering my kit. I have never had a better transaction with a company than the one I have had with DF. They deliver on their promises and truly care about their customers to maximize satisfaction. 5 star experience all around!

Attachments

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The frame will be white - pretty much a necessity in Phoenix so you don't leave a layer of skin on the frame if you happen to lay your arm on it. The rest of the car will be a red/white/blue scheme, maybe all-American stars and stripes? I have been looking at some graphic wraps, but have not yet committed, I have some time before I need to make a final decision. :)

Motoracer110

The frame will be white - pretty much a necessity in Phoenix so you don't leave a layer of skin on the frame if you happen to lay your arm on it. The rest of the car will be a red/white/blue scheme, maybe all-American stars and stripes? I have been looking at some graphic wraps, but have not yet committed, I have some time before I need to make a final decision. :)

View attachment 9716
Wow! That will be amazing can’t wait to see it finished