DF Kit Car service: Reworking the wiring harness

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
For anyone nervous about doing their own wiring, we can rework the harness for you.

Main Harness - $700
We'll strip and combine your donor car's dash, headlight, body and power steering harnesses into one thinned out and extended harness that will fit the Goblin perfectly.

Powertrain Harness - $75

Battery Wire - $25

We'll shorten your battery wire and solder on a copper lug.

Message me here on the forum or send me an email ([email protected]) if you are interested.

Last edited:

kalishek

Adam: Hey ya'll this is a BARGAIN! Unitech Racing spent $12K on updating Mk1 to Mk2 military spec custom prototype wiring harness for their SuperSport. Personally I like wiring (that's why I'm an Electronics Tech) but if you don't have the time or patience this is the way to go. 8D

smithvmi

I hope I don't need to, but if my car won't fire up due to my terrible electrical work, what would it cost to have yall look thru it and make sure its not FUBAR?

BAR-AIR

Good Evening Guys....
Electrical is really not that bad. I don't know if anybody else is to this point. I have been trying to keep exact notes on which wires (color coding, location and what it was for) and pin location before removing. If everyone does this we should have a pretty good handle on the entire wire harness. Really hope to see some additional guidance from Adam in the near future.
Second photo is a shot of a bolt in battery box that was modified so that the fuse block could be mounted directly to the upper tube instead of the original plastic fuse block support. Ended up cutting the support down just to the bottom, that then gets bolted into the top of the "battery box" the two computers are bolted into the bottom of the "battery box" (bolted with jamb nuts so that the computers can be easily removed). See what you guys think.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

smithvmi

I'm all done with it and yeah it didn't seem TOO bad, but you never know what gremlins lurk in the wires of men.

Johvans

Good Evening Guys....
Electrical is really not that bad. I don't know if anybody else is to this point. I have been trying to keep exact notes on which wires (color coding, location and what it was for) and pin location before removing. If everyone does this we should have a pretty good handle on the entire wire harness. Really hope to see some additional guidance from Adam in the near future.
Second photo is a shot of a bolt in battery box that was modified so that the fuse block could be mounted directly to the upper tube instead of the original plastic fuse block support. Ended up cutting the support down just to the bottom, that then gets bolted into the top of the "battery box" the two computers are bolted into the bottom of the "battery box" (bolted with jamb nuts so that the computers can be easily removed). See what you guys think.
View attachment 209 View attachment 208
Looks very good!! What battery box is that?

BAR-AIR

image.jpeg
The second battery box is available through Summit Racing (I purchased on eBay $29.00) it is the same as the one in the front of the Goblin the only difference is the one in the Goblin is the weld in version the one I used as a fuse block support is the bolt in style that I did cut it down some.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
We've lowered the prices of our wiring harness services (see the first post in this thread for the new prices). Anyone interested should contact me.

Johvans

I had Adam and Lonny rework my harness. I have yet to start the car, hopefully this weekend or next. The harness work was well done and it saved me a ton of time and aggravation.

John

DanPerryy

Just as a note. With so many ground lugs in various locations, I connected them all with wires just in case one came loose or was not connected.

LaunchPad

For anyone nervous about doing their own wiring, we can rework the harness for you.

Main Harness - $700
We'll strip and combine your donor car's dash, headlight, body and power steering harnesses into one thinned out and extended harness that will fit the Goblin perfectly.

Powertrain Harness - $75

Battery Wire - $25

We'll shorten your battery wire and solder on a copper lug.

Message me here on the forum or send me an email ([email protected]) if you are interested.
If this announcement is still applicable, could you please pin it and/or pin a copy to the electrical discussion area and perhaps add a section to the storefront for booking this service? pretty please?

LLBenJ

I can recommend their wiring harness service, especially with the reduction in price. First start was a success and quite a few miles on the car to date with no issues. They will also maintain/extend fog lights, marker lights, etc for a small fee.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
The above reference was 7 yeas ago. Per their website for ordering a new Goblin and options the price has understandably marched with inflation:

Still a great deal if wiring is not your thing as it is every bit of 40 hours worth of work.

Joe

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I can recommend their wiring harness service, especially with the reduction in price. First start was a success and quite a few miles on the car to date with no issues. They will also maintain/extend fog lights, marker lights, etc for a small fee.
It is GREAT to see such a post from you! I am so pleased you found your groove or whatever was going on back then. Your statement leads me to believe you are running and driving! I hope the confidence that many on this forum had in you made a positive contribution to your Gonlin’s completion. I want to forget the bumps from the past and remember the good times! Share them my Friend! If you’ve built a Goblin you have crested a mountain that many could see but Most turned around. Good Job! And Drive On!

CajunJeff

@Adam , I'd like to ask this question for the benefit of anyone else who's considering building a kit with a non-Cobalt donor.
Can you do the harness service for something like a Saturn ion? (I have a Redline) I know it's *real* similar, but I don't want to assume anything.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I have been messing with the Cobalt wiring harnesses for a year and have looked long and hard at the ION and HRR harnesses. Both are very different than the Cobalt! {I used an HHR harness for some donor wire and bits but found huge differences.} HHR uses a different fuse panel, bulk connectors, gas pedal, shifter and even parking brake handle! My bet is that the entire electrical systems are just too different to use without a large amount of research. They prolly share many sensors, switches, motors and other GM bits but much is defined by individual model. Fortunately at this point in time there are many good wiring donors in the yards! I AM NOT IN THE HARNESS SERVICE BIZ! IF DF Goblin wants to take this on, that is Their business! I would really have to be backed up against a wall to want to start with the Saturn bits!, NOT that Saturn parts are inferior or not the same materials BUT that their fuse box, and individual arrangement etc is so very different that this scale of "a project in a project" would consume much time/bux. IMO Notice that when you send DF your harnesses they don't need your engine harness, that is because nothing needs changing in that sub harness. Much of creating a Goblin harness is harmlessly removing systems out of the sub harnesses, extending them as needed, and combining/simplifying them, into a single harness.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Since you have a ION maybe you can save me some research? Does Saturn use a BCM? Personally, I hate the BCM, would like to leave it out of my project IF I can!? I just haven't found any way, short of rewiring the whole DANG car! (BTW: I'm about 3/4 Cajun. Broussard, Guidry, Nini, Thibideaux, Gilchrist, DeCuir, I'm betting I'm related to about 1/3 of LA and east TX.) Ah.B.Normal is the brain for the "monster" from the movie "Young Frankenstein")

CajunJeff

The Ion Redline is almost identical to the Cobalt SS/SC mechanically. Same engine, trans, suspension, brakes, everything (except small things like the intake, the gauge cluster is in a different location, etc).
I know the drivetrain and everything would fit. For me, it would just be a matter of figuring out the harness.

(EDIT) If I decide to tackle it, I will certainly document it for future builders who want to use one as a donor!

CajunJeff

Since you have a ION maybe you can save me some research? Does Saturn use a BCM? Personally, I hate the BCM, would like to leave it out of my project IF I can!? I just haven't found any way, short of rewiring the whole DANG car! (BTW: I'm about 3/4 Cajun. Broussard, Guidry, Nini, Thibideaux, Gilchrist, DeCuir, I'm betting I'm related to about 1/3 of LA and east TX.) Ah.B.Normal is the brain for the "monster" from the movie "Young Frankenstein")
LOL, I'm from Thibodaux. And yes, it uses a BCM like the Cobalt. I have a copy of HP Tuners and am not afraid to use it!