Disabling Check Engine Light (CEL) and Others

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
In order to disable the lighting of the Check Engine Light (CEL), Tire Pressure, Traction Control (T/C), Air Bag, and Seat Belt without completely disassembling the dash, you can cut these traces on the back side. Remove the white cover from the back to expose the traces on the back of the circuit board. A very sharp razor blade will cut through them with ease.

I have been able to reconnect cut traces in the past by scraping off the green coating and exposing the copper traces to solder them back together.

The cuts are after the signal and before the current limiting resistor. With the CEL, the signal line is cut, but there is another high resistance resistor still connected that I assume if for some type of feedback signal, so I left it intact.

This by no way removes codes or disables anything other than simply the lighting of the actual LED if you don't want it lit all the time.

Here are the traces to cut.

DSCN0994.png

DSCN0990.JPG

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I think you can also disable the CEL--if that's the same thing as the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)--by cutting the brown wire that runs to your dash connector.

A little easier to fix if you have second thoughts.

Silverback

In order to disable the lighting of the Check Engine Light (CEL), Tire Pressure, Traction Control (T/C), Air Bag, and Seat Belt without completely disassembling the dash, you can cut these traces on the back side...
Thanks!
Great information.

KJP

I think you can also disable the CEL--if that's the same thing as the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)--by cutting the brown wire that runs to your dash connector.

A little easier to fix if you have second thoughts.
Is the cel the only one that can be disabled this way?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Technically no, but realistically yes. You can also cut the low speed GMLAN dark green wire to disable traction control, seat belt, and air bag lights, but you'll also disable other idiot lights such as oil pressure, water temp, headlights, etc in the process. Also the fuel level gauge will go out too.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
If I’m not mistaken, some of this stuff can simply be disabled through hptuners. I haven’t really looked into the specifics yet.

KJP

I have HP tuners pro, I am going to have to look into this. I don't believe items like the seatbelt light and SRS can be done this way because HP can only change ECU items not BCM.

DanPerryy

I took the face plate off the dash cluster, cut a couple of pieces of black electrical tape an put them over the top of the offending lights. Can't see the tape or the lights

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I have HP tuners pro, I am going to have to look into this. I don't believe items like the seatbelt light and SRS can be done this way because HP can only change ECU items not BCM.
This is correct. HP tuners can't really turn off any of them other than possible the MIL by disabling all of the codes, which I would not recommend.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Here is an updated version to include the trace to remove the BRAKE indicator on the dash. The BRAKE will light and stay on if your donor had ABS and now no longer has the ABS controller.

DSCN0994.png