Disassembling rear brake calipers for power coating.

Lando217

Hey guys I am trying to take apart my rear calipers and having some trouble on what to do next. With the pictures attached, I remove the piston, seal and dust boot. I have never attempted a caliper with the parking brake integrated into it and don’t know what other seals need to be removed before throwing it in the 400degree oven. Normally there is a nut on the bracket that holds the cable and can be removed the pull the parking brake inners. This seems like these calipers have them stamped in? Maybe powder coating is out of the question? Has anyone attempted this before? I know there is alternatives to power coating like G2 epoxy which I might look into but I have powder coated couple sets of calipers in the past on my old cars and just like the product. I wouldnt mind some feedback on someone that has used both power coating and g2 paint to see what they thought of it. Any help out be great. Thanks!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The calipers that we have had powder coated were done with the pistons still installed. The only thing we removed was the bleeder, banjo bolt and we separated the bracket from the caliper.

The powder coater can mask the piston and anything else that should not have powder coat on it.

There seals in the caliper are good to very high temperatures, we haven't had any problems with the seals being damaged by the baking process.

Lando217

The calipers that we have had powder coated were done with the pistons still installed. The only thing we removed was the bleeder, banjo bolt and we separated the bracket from the caliper.

The powder coater can mask the piston and anything else that should not have powder coat on it.

There seals in the caliper are good to very high temperatures, we haven't had any problems with the seals being damaged by the baking process.
Awesome! Thanks lonny!

Kenny123

I FINALLY figured out the forum hahaha. I was looking for this EXACT question answered. Thank you.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Mind if I ask how you covered the piston? I want to prep it for powder
Edit: I didn't blast my calipers prior to coating, I just degreased so I only had to take the boots and other bits out and scrub.

If you're doing the coating, I used powdercoat tape to mask the pistons, it's fiddly af but a little patience nets you a nice result.

Plugs

Kenny123

Edit: I didn't blast my calipers prior to coating, I just degreased so I only had to take the boots and other bits out and scrub.

If you're doing the coating, I used powdercoat tape to mask the pistons, it's fiddly af but a little patience nets you a nice result.

Plugs
Yah I have to blast mine. I painted them and it isn't what I want so I may either buy new calipers or have these blasted 1st.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Seriously for real, if you do your own powder coating and baking, beware that those little rubber plugs can catch on fire inside your oven if they fall out and on to a heater element. I ruined one of my brake calipers due to an oven fire from these things... it was a huge cleanup and I was very sad :(

Those plugs re amazing, though. It didn't melt when it fell onto the heater element, just turned into white powder and fill the oven with smoke and fire, ruining my part and almost ruining my oven. They can pop out of their holes due to pressure building up if it's a non-through hole.

Kenny123

Seriously for real, if you do your own powder coating and baking, beware that those little rubber plugs can catch on fire inside your oven if they fall out and on to a heater element. I ruined one of my brake calipers due to an oven fire from these things... it was a huge cleanup and I was very sad :(

Those plugs re amazing, though. It didn't melt when it fell onto the heater element, just turned into white powder and fill the oven with smoke and fire, ruining my part and almost ruining my oven. They can pop out of their holes due to pressure building up if it's a non-through hole.
Thanks for the heads up. I have a buddy who owns a powder coat shop. He is the one who did my frame so I'm gonna just bring it to him. I want the gear for it but for the same cost I can have them done.