Donor Help - Cobalt SS wont start but cranks - Thoughts?

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Everything is back together now. I didn't I upgrade anything or replace anything while I was in there. I took the head off because I was worried that the valves hit since the timing chain was slipping. But they were good so I just put it back together. On my test drive a few days ago it seems like everything is pretty healthy and holding up well

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Is this the one you're talking about? Can you post a pic? I don't remember coming across this wire when I took my harness off so I'm wondering if I forgot something too.

Ground.jpg

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I noticed that too after looking in the service manual. I couldn't find that ground wire on mine so I'm wondering if I forgot something too.

Can you post a pic?
The red arrow is where it attached. I think it was a copper eye terminal. I wont getva picture of it on the motor till Saturday.
20171123_115201.jpg

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I guess the LNFs might be different. I only found three single wire engine block grounds. One behind the alternator, one on a transmission/engine stud, and the pictured one.

I probably just bolted it in the wrong hole. Hopefully it won't matter. A ground should be a ground.

Last edited:

BAR-AIR

Chasing sparks is no fun on a finished car. I ended up running a master ground wire through out the entire car (probably overkill) but it's cheap insurance that everything is actually grounded to the same ground.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Looks like that ground was not the issue. I didn't get around to testing the clutch sensor but I do have one to switch out. its just so far up there its going to be a pain. I cleaned it up and took some pictures of the car itself. I am considering selling it. I haven't ordered my goblin kit just yet. I cant decide if I want to or not. Well, I want to...but hard to spend 12ish more on everything.

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I actually love a good challenge like that, just not all the time!

One thing for sure, you have to be willing to spend at least $12K on it. Most, I'm sure, end up costing more in the end after all of the goodies.

You can't give up at this point on getting this car going. Fix it and it's worth $1000 more.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru

One thing for sure, you have to be willing to spend at least $12K on it. Most, I'm sure, end up costing more in the end after all of the goodies.

You can't give up at this point on getting this car going. Fix it and it's worth $1000 more.
Yeah, for sure. That is what I was thinking. If I get the kit, add on powder coating, I'm sure new brakes, rotors, hubs, go fast parts and plenty more just in cleaning in painting. Its a project I want to do. Just cant decide if I want to spent the money yet.

I def want to get it fixed before I sell it. Like you said, its worth an extra 1k fixed.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Minus the won't start thing, you have a super nice car on your hands. If you can get it running without that hack, you can easily get your original money back plus what you put into it. If you find the right buyer you can probably even get some money in your pocket.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Minus the won't start thing, you have a super nice car on your hands. If you can get it running without that hack, you can easily get your original money back plus what you put into it. If you find the right buyer you can probably even get some money in your pocket.
Good news today. I finally identified the issue with the crank relay. Using a test light I tried to find if the grounds and the power pins we're correct. Turns out the bottom right pin was not getting a ground and it needed one. I looked in the fuse box a little deeper for lose connections but there weren't any. I think that it is the black wire with white stripe that should be ground but I am not sure. Can one of you verify if it's that wire? Then also tell me where that ground is connected to the engine / body?

As a test I used a temporary ground to that pin/relay and the car started right up when I turned the key with the clutch engaged.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
That's awesome. Nice find. That wire is definitely a ground that's supposed to connect to the stud on the transmission housing. It's the same stud that your big engine wire ground connects to. I think it's to the right of the starter.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
An
That's awesome. Nice find. That wire is definitely a ground that's supposed to connect to the stud on the transmission housing. It's the same stud that your big engine wire ground connects to. It's off to the side of the starter
Man thanks so much for your ongoing help. You've made this process so much easier Anyone have a picture of that ground?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru

I think I’m in mine for about 17-18k hehe. I’m sure others with new engines will be much deeper.

Nuker

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Not that it really matters, but my ground was on the other stud in the picture just to the left with a nut on it. Both ground for the battery and the multiple ground wire connection.

Great job finding that. Bad grounds are much harder to troubleshoot than about anything else.

And, yes, a black with white trace is very much a ground wire and should be grounded to the engine or frame.

The other Cobalt I was working on had a bad issue with the door lock activating all the time for no reason, like a ghost or something. I believe I ended up fixing it by cleaning all the grounds when I put the new engine it. I never did it again.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Yeah. Hard to pinpoint but felt like I had achieved something once I fixed...or at least partially fix it.

I need to find time to check that ground out in more detail. I looked today and didn't see it there.

I'm still on the fence on selling. I was looking for ones nearby and they were listed for 6500-7500. Seems high. I listed mine to gauge interest. I made a post on here too.