Dylan Stan Track Build 06 SS/SC Michigan

Dylan Stan

My names Dylan and Im in Michigan currently working with my donor parts out of a 2006 Cobalt SS 2.0 SC model. Donor is fully pulled apart and i have gotten my hands into engine matinence and modifications. First i pulled the head and replaced all valve seals, springs and retainers. Also i installed a new head gasket and ARP Head Studs. I replaced the entire timing gears, changes, guides, tensioners, water pump, and bought ARP bolts to replace the Timing bolts famous for slapping valves when broke. I then sent valve cover, oil pan, and timing cover to powder for some color. (I will be drilling out stock valve cover baffle to do full clean of media blasting material that made its way behind. I will then drill and tap all the old rivet holes with new hardware. I will do full write up if needed.) I then installed 60# injectors, 2.8 pulley and bought all new gaskets for exhaust and intake sides including phenolic intake spacer from ZZP. As the parts are at powder coat, I now have gotten into the Wire harness. Sucessfully stripped dash harness and put aside. I am now on the main harness and have some questions. Ordering my kit end of FEB

Best place to call for scrapping car and getting paid?
20190202_162308.jpg
My Donor was equipped with ABS but no ONStar. I need to know which data wires need to be cut and where do they splice back in after ABS has been removed. Also does my 06 SS SC donor have a battery voltage connector? Stated to have white black grey wires.
20190131_123745 (1).jpg
Here i have replace all Timing and oil/balance shaft components. I also replace timing chain guid bolts with ARP set.
20190201_184430.jpg
Here i am completed with unwrapping harness.
20180827_155608.jpg
06 Cobalt SS / SC with G85 Package LSD for 1200. After as many parts sold so far i am only in 650 dollars for the Donor. Still have the full trunk wing bumper doors and misc parts to sell until they find thier way to the dumpster.

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
Nice donor! The stripped car can be sold to a metal recycler for around $60. If you put a deposit on your kit now, it might be ready by the end of Feb.

Dylan Stan

Nice donor! The stripped car can be sold to a metal recycler for around $60. If you put a deposit on your kit now, it might be ready by the end of Feb.
Thanks! Im more planning when im available to drive down to pickup. So April was a good rough estimate for me

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Welcome Dylan! I have a 2007 SS/SC and will be doing very similar things to my engine. I would be interested in your write up on the valve cover. My valve cover is currently at the powder coater and they say they'll tape off the inside so no media gets in. Not sure if I should trust'm.

Can you send me a link to this part?... "... bought ARP bolts to replace the Timing bolts famous for slapping valves when broke."

The SS/SC does not have a battery voltage connector.

Dylan Stan

Welcome Dylan! I have a 2007 SS/SC and will be doing very similar things to my engine. I would be interested in your write up on the valve cover. My valve cover is currently at the powder coater and they say they'll tape off the inside so no media gets in. Not sure if I should trust'm.

Can you send me a link to this part?... "... bought ARP bolts to replace the Timing bolts famous for slapping valves when broke."

The SS/SC does not have a battery voltage connector.
Thanks, was scratching head about the current sensor. Any idea on data wires regarding the abs system.
Also it took me so long to find these bolts ha. I ordered and installed ARP but also bought their in house set of bolts as well. One wont be used if you replace your upper intake side guide bolt with the big aftermarket one that gets rid of use of that inner bolt.
https://www.ottperformance.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1825&idcategory=
And in valve cover work i will do a detailed write up with proper drill bit sizes and tap sizes along with bolts. I would not trust the powder coater if they use metal media. Not that the powder coater isnt trustworthy but that ive been told by many that it always somehow finds its way in!!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
As far as the data wires, it's really fairly simple. They start at the DLC connector (OBDII) then go into the power steering unit, from there to the BCM, then to the TCM (if you have a automatic) then to the ECM/PCM. With the ABS removed, just cut it out but make sure you data wires follow this path.

1549163007427.png

1549163196039.png

Dylan Stan

Thankyou. Ive been holding off cutting a single wire in main harness until i fully understand every part.

Dylan Stan

So after a couple nights, lots of soldering, splicing and labeling I now have a complete harness.

20190208_114029.jpg

Lots of labeling
20190208_113748.jpg
20190130_143347.jpg
Here i plan to fabricate a custom ac delete. Im going to have a lasercut plate to block the back end of AC compressor. Then Utilize the 6 holes from front side behind pulley to sandwhich plate to ac housing, I will then weld a structure piece that allows the 3rd bolt to fasten and give rigifity back to the ac pulley housing. I will also make a plug for the center of pulley where post is removed. Going to make a full thread on this as well as drilling out valve cover baffle.
20190201_114051.jpg
Here i hope to have saved my master resevior where i broke off clutch master feed line. Any body have insight on if red lock and tight threads will leak due to brake fluids characteristics??
20190208_125830.jpg
My final complete harness

Attachments