ECM/BCM question

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Hello,

So a few of you have noticed my latest engine troubles. Well, I believe I have located a replacement engine, but I know that the ECM is VIN-matched to .... something. I still have a good ECM and BCM from my donor ... will the good ECM work with a different engine or does something have to be re-keyed/re-programmed?

I'm fairly sure my ECM will work fine with the new engine without any re-programming, but I just wanted to confirm.

Thank you.

Goblin Guru
Nevermind! Got my answer in the other thread. I've been forgetful, what I have posted where, lately, sorry!

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Maybe, for the sake of others who search for a similar problem, you include what you found to be the answer so future generations can benefit from your find?

Goblin Guru
Certainly.

It sounds as though the ECM is only tied to the key (VATS, Vehicle Anti Theft System) and not particularly to the engine or the BCM.

If someone knows otherwise, please say so before I make yet another mistake!

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
As far as I can see if you are putting the same engine back in LSJ for LSJ there is no need to change or worry about the ECM as long as you have all the same sensors from one engine to the next it should all be good.

lksohm

I would think that the most you would want to do is keep the same engine wire harness with the ECM just in case there is a sensor somewhere that is tied to the computer. Just a precaution.

Motoracer110

yes it will work fine, im using a crate motor and everything started up nicely without having to flash anything so you will be good to go if you are using the same type of engine