ECM

ccannx

Is there any procedure for diagnosing if your ECM is bad ? Also do the ECM's have to be calibrated to the VIN or VATS ?

I have a start but no run condition and I am starting to think somehow my ecm is bad. I cannot read it with HPTuners and their support is suggesting I have it re-flashed with a GM tech2 back to stock and then I would be able to communicate with it. Seems it would be more beneficial to buy another ECM then to pay someone to reflash it to a tune that will not work with the car as it sits.

Ross

Well, if you have already paid HP Tuners $100 to licence your ECM, you might want to buy your new ECM from someone who will flash it with your VIN, and thereby save re-licencing it with HPT. I think the key is also connected to the VIN number.

Update: these guys are cheaper...

Last edited:

ccannx

looks like ZZP will do it with the VIN for 109$ and a base tune but require the core back which makes sense. They specify by year so it may make a difference with the ECU : ZZP ecotec ECU

Ross

looks like ZZP will do it with the VIN for 109$ and a base tune but require the core back which makes sense. They specify by year so it may make a difference with the ECU : ZZP ecotec ECU
That's a great price. ZZP doesn't mention a VIN change on there website... they mention " We cannot change the VIN in this PCM ... For the seed key relearn, this is the procedure: " The one vendor also specified by year.

ccannx

That's a great price. ZZP doesn't mention a VIN change on there website... they mention " We cannot change the VIN in this PCM ... For the seed key relearn, this is the procedure: " The one vendor also specified by year.
Your right I didn’t catch that “VIN cannot be changed is LSJ ECU “ I assumed since they asked for the VIN in the order form they could, glad I didn’t order yet. I will call them Monday and talk to a rep about it.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We have changed ECMs many times, the only thing you have to do is the 30 minute key re-learn each time you change ECMs.