Ecotec engine (2.4 VVT with gen3 block)

BAR-AIR

Good Evening,
I kind of did a knee jerk purchase of an engine on eBay (placed a really low offer and it was accepted ).
62A6FA95-1DB3-4AF5-A8A8-CC9A997D9D55.jpeg

So here are the pictures of it all layed out. Still trying to figure out which model it is (valve cover has a 2012 date on it). Initially thought it was a LEA but not so sure.... I do believe it has the gen3 block and is a 2.4 VVT.
BFEE8731-87F8-46CE-B340-6875E46CF102.jpeg

So first it was listed as a direct injection (isn’t), next it was sold without pistons,connecting rods and valves (was going to replace anyway with forged components).... (story was it was used at Shell as a fuel test platform)....
Was searching the forum for anyone that can identify the engine first and then if anyone has or is building a higher horse power Ecotec using the same platform 2.4 VVT with a gen3 block (The whole purchase was 1/4 of the price of just a new gen3 block)
Now the question is how far do you go with
CBEDABEF-1ECE-45E5-B40F-AA2A5A2A9F72.jpeg

C4E6E8B3-883C-494A-919F-2470DCB267CE.jpeg

C8007919-A0C8-4B67-8831-2C59CF10FAD6.jpeg

THX,
Bruce

Attachments

BAR-AIR

Talked to Shaun over at Alpha Fab and he had said that it was the Gen3 block. I don’t have a Gen2 and a Gen3 next to one another to tell them apart.
And yes the plan is to build this one up to replace the 2.2 Supercharged engine in the “BLUE” goblin. To align our two cars with similar engines and wiring harnesses. With that being said going to be selling the engine supercharger package that is in the “BLUE” goblin.
THX,
Bruce

BAR-AIR

Good Afternoon,
I have been texting ZZPerformance trying to figure out which ecotec engine block this is (I guess in the long run it really doesn't matter I'm going to build it either way). But am still curious if anybody has any addition information. Kyle at ZZPerformance said visually the Gen2 and the Gen3 that they sell are visually identical. The only difference is the way that they are cast (foam compared to sand casting). Asked about weight difference but he didn't know what each of the blocks weighed.
Any suggestions for better indentification???
THX,
Bruce

Ross

Goblin Guru
You can see the difference between foam casting and sand casting. Take a picture and post a close up of the engine casting surface. One looks like larger foam cells, and one has smaller sand particles.