ECU Flash

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I was chatting with the local dealer about my air flow problems and we got to talking about flashing the ECU with a stock image again. Just spit balling ideas for now. He mentioned that a reflash can potentially cause issues afterwards such as the car not starting or opening a Pandora's box of engine codes and basically creating a mess.

He said the chances are slim, but they have to throw that disclaimer out to the customers. It kind of has me worried a bit because I was considering installing the GMPP Stage 1 kit which involves a reflash. This of course would be after I get all my problems figured out.

Anybody have any experience with going back to a stock image?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I was chatting with the local dealer about my air flow problems and we got to talking about flashing the ECU with a stock image again. Just spit balling ideas for now. He mentioned that a reflash can potentially cause issues afterwards such as the car not starting or opening a Pandora's box of engine codes and basically creating a mess.

He said the chances are slim, but they have to throw that disclaimer out to the customers. It kind of has me worried a bit because I was considering installing the GMPP Stage 1 kit which involves a reflash. This of course would be after I get all my problems figured out.

Anybody have any experience with going back to a stock image?
With the HP Tuners, there are stock calibration files out there you can use. Once you read the full ECM, you would only change the calibration parameters back to stock and leave the rest of the information alone. There should not be a problem with that. However, a failed flash can cause major issue as I have found out and maybe that is what they are warning you about.

Mine had a tune in it from ZZP and personally I don’t like some of the things they have done. Not knocking them, I just didn’t like some of the settings. Changing some of it back to factory made it drive much better.

If you get in touch with a local reputable tuning shop they should be able to make all of your problems go away.
What calibration are your running now? DF? ZZP?

I'd recommend someone who has at least a few years of experience with turbo GM cars. Some ECUs can recover from bad flashes, some can't without cracking them open.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
The dealer is only going to generalize with you because they have very limited knowledge beyond basic factory recommended repairs and they do not want any liability for anything beyond that. Personally, I would not take any advice from a dealership, ever. I’m with Syntronics on going with a local shop who is knowledgeable and experienced with tuning these cars.

A stock tune will work but not work as efficiently with the MAF. The ECM thinks the engine is getting air through the factory 1/4” straw when in reality its now a 1/2” straw. The stock tune also tends to be rather conservitive in regards to boost and fuel mapping to maintain longetivity for vehicle warranty purposes.

I’ve read that the Bosch E69 is a ***** to tune overall due to the excessive number of fuel maps but there are plenty of baseline tunes that have been developed over the last 10 years that will get a mildly tuned engine (intake/injectors/stage I sensors) reliably in the ballpark without needing a dyno or affecting drive-ability. A dyno tune of course ($$$) would be the optimum way to go; an experienced tuner could optimize the fuel & boost maps and make any needed adjustments to suit your personal drive-ability.

RichRich has a mild canned tune on his turbo (stock other than DF intake) and he says it made a nice and noticeable difference.

redline

We are in the process of tuning the my Goblin, I will say that the MAF readings are out there, but we have been slowly hacking away at them and the car is running much better with each adjustment. also is nice having the 22lbs of boost!!!

redline

well I drove with stock tune for about 2-3 weeks and it didn't do very much on mine. once we are steady state with the tune it will be something to watch for sure.

redline

I have a great tuner if you need one. he is doing mine with me and is very reasonable. he is really liking that we are so different from the cobalts. lots to tune in the air flow tables. ZZP will give you only a canned tune and it will be for a cobalt not a goblin.