Engine Year vs Car Year

SliderR1

I'm still learning so I thought I'd ping this group for some advice. There are a couple of local cobalts for sale that claim to have bad engines. The cars are in the $500 range. One is an 06 and one is an 07.

There are a couple of newer engines in the local wrecking yards for around $650. One is an 09 and the other is an 08.

Would this be a total nightmare to try and make work?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Sounds like you should be able to find a wrecked donor with working engine much cheaper than that at iaai or copart!

I now the ECUs need to match the engines etc

Nuker

SliderR1

I've been watching the copart auctions closest to me and most of them have been selling for at least $500. After all the fees and driving to get one, I'm going to have at least a grand in it. This option is local, which saves me a bunch of time, and basically the same cost..

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I wouldn't. The 09+ engine has a completely different computer system. Since you have to do so much with the wiring, it needs to be pulled by you so you can label all connections etc.

Delivery was pretty cheap which would save you the time. I've seen lots of cobalts go for under $500 on Copart so just keep looking you'll find one.

PG5

Don't forget the G5s ;) Got mine for a winning bid of $200 and it only had 69k miles.

TCR801

The guys are right, the crank triggers are different from those years. You need a 7 tooth crank for the early base model. SS 2.0 and 2.4 are 58 tooth, as well as any vvt engine.