Excited New Builder in Mid Michigan!

TravMac

Hello Everyone!

Thought I'd follow the trend of new builders and introduce myself. I've been researching the Goblin for quite a while now, and finally pulled the trigger on getting my build started! But more on that in a second...

About Me: I'm a Mid Michigan Gear Head. I used to be part of a college race series through SAE called Baja. In the series, I got to help design, manufacture, and race a single seat off-road vehicle. The scale was small, but the competition was challenging and rewarding. For all of those that appreciate that kind of work (which looks like everyone from what I've read), I highly suggest checking it out. Anyways, I really wanted to take that kind of fun and excitement and transfer it into something I can cherish everyday on the road. The Goblin has captured every bit of that want, and now I have a doner to start tearing into soon!

The Car: It's a 2007 SS - runs and drives. Nothing special about it, but plenty of wear and tear to freshen up. I was lucky enough to find someone in my area selling it as their winter beater that they had no use for after the snow melted. That being said, there is little to no brakes, a bouncy suspension, and a bit of body damage where the snow led the car into a highway divider. Glad the fascia isn't needed!

I also am in a group of people who really appreciate kit cars. One co-worker is a few months away from finishing up his 818. Another buddy just ordered his Exocet. Come the completion of our kits, we are all planning a bit of a competition between the three of us - a drag race, an autocross, and a time trial. Nothing more than some good laughs and maybe some bragging rights :)

Anyways, I'm excited to get tearing into this SS, and soon enough, this kit! I hope to keep things fairly well documented for my sake, but it's also fun to share progress with the others who appreciate it! Thanks for reading and hope to talk to you all soon.

TravMac

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Nice to see another Baja SAE guy in here! I was with Western Washington University's team from 2007 to 2011.

TravMac

Nice to see another Baja SAE guy in here! I was with Western Washington University's team from 2007 to 2011.
Sweet I'm not alone! I started right after you finished over here at University of Michigan - 2012 to 2016. You probably know a few of the guys that were my mentors haha. Lots of good memories in that competition.

Also, thank you Ron :) Glad to be here.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
If you’re near Grand Rapids ZZP can tune these puppies to some pretty nuts levels.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Ha! Another one from Michigan! Everyone is coming out of hibernation now that its actually "nice" out apparently. I'm from Bay City, so if you are anywhere near me and need anything let me know!

If you’re near Grand Rapids ZZP can tune these puppies to some pretty nuts levels.
Wow, I had no idea ZZP was Michigan based. That's awesome!!

TravMac

ZZP does have a lot of great parts I've looked at. But before I jump the gun too much, I just want to get a nice stock version running and passed through all the state inspections for getting registered.

And Jirwin, I'm going to be doing everything near Freeland, so not far away at all! I'd be curious what solutions you come up with to pass all the state registration stuff when the time comes too.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
My son is currently in the SAE Formula car at S&T in Rolla, Mo. Only he helped build our car first and then joined SAE.

We are running with the 07 SS/SC. Don't worry about much of the condition of the donor, you will be either not using, replacing, upgrading, or cleaning and painting what parts you do use. As long as you have a good engine/drivetrain and the electronics, the rest is easy to get if needed.

You will enjoy this build and most likely beat up on all of your buddies at the track.

TravMac

My son is currently in the SAE Formula car at S&T in Rolla, Mo. Only he helped build our car first and then joined SAE.

We are running with the 07 SS/SC. Don't worry about much of the condition of the donor, you will be either not using, replacing, upgrading, or cleaning and painting what parts you do use. As long as you have a good engine/drivetrain and the electronics, the rest is easy to get if needed.

You will enjoy this build and most likely beat up on all of your buddies at the track.
I appreciate the feedback! I'm glad there is such a knowledge base with those who have built their cars.

And glad to hear of another student of SAE. It really did teach me a lot professionally while having a ton of fun. Hopefully your son is having the same kind of experience!